Author Topic: Arcade Cheats  (Read 6932 times)

JGalactic

Arcade Cheats
« on: June 13, 2015, 05:25:29 pm »
Howdy I'm new here!

I wanted to know if anyone knew the 4 cheats in the 1981 Arcade Donkey Kong.  I remember from 1982 the first one being the sideways jump from the second level above the ladder with a right sideways jump.  The second level was somewhere in the floating middle platform.

I tried finding out online but it seems that no one knows past the first or at least no one is saying which I find strange.  My friend at the time showed me all 4 but didn't use it much because it rendered the game too easy.  Heck we were 10 and 11 at the time. 

I got curious about this as one gets high enough one encounters the kill screen renders  which renders it impossible to get past the first level unless you use a cheat. The question is what happens if you use all 4 cheats?

I hope this isn't too much of a taboo subject.  It's strange no one has posted a list of the cheats anywhere.

Cheers People!

Online johnbart

• Awards
Re: Arcade Cheats
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 06:24:56 pm »
Frampton!
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 06:27:01 pm »
Sounds like you're referring to the "floor skip", which is only possible in the original Japanese version of Donkey Kong. It was fixed in later revisions of the Japanese version and is not present at all in the two US revisions.

There are no other "cheats" in the standard US version of Donkey Kong, unless you consider leeching points by jumping next to Kong on the rivets to be cheating. It's possible you're thinking of Crazy Kong, which includes the floor skip bug as well as a few others (dropping the hammer on the pies, a very rare ladder glitch on the pies that lets you climb through the floor, some weird stuff on the elevators).
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 10:21:11 pm »
Interested for sure... <popcorn>
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 11:29:15 pm »
<megacheats>
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 03:22:51 pm »
Xelnia put together a video of some of these techniques, are these what you where referring to?

! No longer available
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 03:43:39 pm by Adam_Mon »
Member for 9 Years Blogger CK Killscreener DK Killscreener