Author Topic: Crap Tournament 7  (Read 7843 times)

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Crap Tournament 7
« on: April 05, 2015, 05:07:02 pm »
Crap Tournament 7 is now open for registration: http://retrocontests.herokuapp.com/#/

Participants will be prompted to sign up for the site before they can register for the tournament.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Crap Tournament is a yearly MAME competition where all the titles are selected based on their relative obscurity or overall lousiness.

Every year brings in new pure crap and some hidden gems - you'll play some of the worst games ever made, and discover some amazing titles you never would've played without the tournament.

The games are hilarious, but the competition is fierce. Think you're a true gamer? Come prove it in the Crap Arena.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tournament will last 10 days, stretching over 2 weekends, beginning May 1st and ending May 10th.

The tournament will consist of 12 games, none of which will be announced until moments before the tournament start.  Of these 12 games, 10 will be announced at the start of the tournament, while the remaining 2 will only be announced at the beginning of the closing weekend (May 8th).  Proper game settings will be detailed for each title.

The scoring format is simple: 12 points for first on any given title, 11 points for 2nd,... 1 point for 12th, and points are only awarded for places 1 through 12.  Thus, a prefect score for this tournament would be 144, regardless of the number of participants, and it's entirely possible to accumulate 0 points despite submitting a score for every game.  In other words, the competition will be rough, and the winner will be the player who is the best all around crapper.

Once the tournament officially starts, an easy submission process, live updating standings for each game, and an overall leader board will become visible for all registered participants.

As part of the submission process participants will have the option to attach an inp or link to a Twitch stream highlight.  Either option is fine, and neither will be mandated unless the submission claims a 1st place.  This will allow participants to easily update the scoreboard with their submissions as often as possible without getting bogged down making Twitch highlights for every score they obtain, but still maintain some element of interactivity on the scoreboard itself as 1st place scores begin to change hands.

To be clear: streaming and creating Twitch highlights is not a requirement, recording inps is not a requirement, but 1st place score submissions will not be accepted without one of the two. (For me personally, recording and uploading inps is not in any way a nuisance, and I plan on doing so for every sore I submit.  Making Twitch highlights, on the other hand, is a little time consuming and I only plan to do so for scores I don't intend to best later on in the contest.)

All MAME versions 106 and later are legal for this contest (just be sure to specify which version was used when uploading inps), and if a player somehow actually has cab access to one of the crap titles they are of course welcome to play on the original hardware.

Get busy crappin' or get busy dyin'
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:46:49 pm by VON »
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK 1.1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer Blogger Wildcard Rematch Champion Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener

Offline johnbart

• Awards
Re: Crap Tournament 7
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 05:50:17 pm »
Love the rule set.  Using INPs or clips, not having to make clips for everyone of my bad scores and supporting non .106 versions makes it a must play.  I'm registered.
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 09:59:22 pm »
All mame versions? Not having to deal with .106 makes it that much better :)
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 07:43:09 am »
All mame versions? Not having to deal with .106 makes it that much better :)

Technically it's .106 and later but if you're using something before .106 you deserve to be banned anyway.  :)  Seriously as a Linux user I can't even find a working version .106 so being able to use a modern version is awesome.  Nice to see forward looking progress in the hobby and not getting hung up on old rules or traditions <Pigger>

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 01:55:10 pm »
Here's what you're playing for  :P

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 02:04:26 pm »
Here's what you're playing for  :P

Before anyone else says it:

Be seated.   ;)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 04:36:02 pm »
Oh yeah its on defending my crap throne as it is! :D
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 12:52:52 am »
Crap starts in less than 24 hours!  Midnight EST the games will be announced. 

Happy crapping. :)

Offline TBE

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 02:51:32 am »
Wow, that are some really crappy games.  <gasp>
Member for 9 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 07:26:35 am »
I was busy this past weekend but I'm starting to hit these games this week.  All I have to say so far is Fucking Zerst.  :)

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 11:44:15 am »
I know Zerst needs to take some Ambein and let the rest of us play now :D
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 08:20:06 am »
Great crap tourney!  Kreygasm 
My first time for a CrapMAME event and loved it so hard.  Great game choices, not nearly as crappy as they could've been and a few were good enough games to continue playing.  Thanks for putting this together and making it so darn Crappy.  Very much looking forward to the next one!  <popcorn>
 <Tim>
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Josephjo

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 08:25:15 am »
Congrats to Zerst for wnning  Kreygasm Kreygasm

Phil Tudose for coming second  Kreygasm

and the little New Zealand guy who came third and whose name escapes me at the moment.  FailFish

Thanks again to Ross and Wes for taking the time to put this on.

Look forward to the next tournament on the all singing all dancing scoreboard.
" Its not how you play the game but who you have backing up the bullshit."

From The Book Of Sczerby 2:18
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 04:03:51 pm »
The biggest thing I learned from this event:

Don't play Loverboy in front of children.  <mad>

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 06:09:46 pm »
The biggest thing I learned from this event:

Don't play Loverboy in front of children.  <mad>

Haha.  Yeah, sorry about that one.  I think Lover Boy may be the trashiest game the CT's ever seen.