Author Topic: No hammer rules change!  (Read 20532 times)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
No hammer rules change!
« on: April 04, 2015, 01:43:22 pm »
As some of you will remember from last year, during my no-hammer March Madness game against  <Tim>, in the process of avoiding some awkwardly-spaced barrels on L4, I accidentally grabbed a hammer and got the instant DQ. Clearly that sucked.

Last night while grinding for the tourney, in a moment of pure brain-farting idiocy, inexplicably and unfathomably (<Sanders>), for reasons that I will never understand, I grabbed a hammer on L10 rivets. I don't know how or why I did this, since it was the bottom hammer, and the rivet to the right had already been cleared, thus making the hammer useless for any purpose. The real problem, though, is that I was above 300K and still on my second man  FailFish.

I kept going for a while (ending on a very poorly-played L12) and had a good, long whinge about the rules.

I do think that this is a legitimate topic for discussion. Should we really be automatically DQing no-hammer games where a hammer accidentally gets grabbed, even when the player does not use the hammer to his advantage? IMO, we should not.

Generally speaking, Donkey Kong allows four "mistakes" (deaths) per run. But with the current no-hammer rules, we have a situation where one mistake can kill multiple remaining lives at once, as well as nullifying the entire run up to that point (why? Grabbing a hammer on one board in no way invalidates all the hammerless boards already played). Rule just seems unnecessarily strict and has no practical justification, in a variant that's already hard enough as it is.

Personally, I think a forced suicide of the current life is sufficiently punitive and much more reasonable: if you grab a hammer, kill off your guy and restart the board. That simple. This can't be "gamed" in any way that I can think of, allows for temporary mind-boners and control malfunctions, and doesn't unnecessarily nuke otherwise valid runs.

Changing this rule also wouldn't hurt anyone or any scores in a retroactive sense, at least as far as I know. (In other words, historically, there has never been some epic or potentially epic no-hammer run that got ruined with a hammer grab (except maybe mine last night  FailFish).

Curious to see what DKF thinks!
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

WCopeland

Re: No hammer rules change!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 03:16:41 pm »
It may be best if we can change our votes here. Jeff and Jon are really the experts, and whatever they say might cause our positions to evolve.

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 03:25:22 pm »
It may be best if we can change our votes here. Jeff and Jon are really the experts, and whatever they say might cause our positions to evolve.

I agree,

I voted to accept scores up until a hammer grab, but the guys who have piled hours into developing this variation should get the last word,  (Since I cant change my vote deduct 1 vote from the 2nd option on the poll)

Fast Eddie

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 03:33:12 pm »
Interesting point Chris, i would agree that the instant DQ rule is not the 'fairest' rule on the player, and it seems unnecessarily harsh.

However i like the rule. Maybe i would feel different if id had a big game ruined by a hammer grab, but i think its a cool aspect of the track. I like the danger of jumping near hammers, or having to sometimes just die rather than press jump, against your better instincts. You can just feel your finger twitching sometimes under the middle rivet hammer! I like all that   <confused>

Id be interested to hear from  <Mruczek> why he decided to make the rule.

I would vote to keep the rules as they are. Its a fair question though, and i dont  mind the rules being changed if the community votes for it...

8)

Fast Eddie

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 03:44:03 pm »
If the rule was all points up to a hammer grab count, it would not spoil the track in any way that i can see. And that seems logical and fair...

I just plain like the rule  :D

Anyone who likes the track should get an equal vote tho...

8)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 04:31:45 pm »
What I propose is this: if you accidentally grab the hammer, you still have one chance to save the game by killing your guy before the hammer expires, though if you smash anything, it's game over  (because at that point you'll have gained points by use of the hammer, which I think is a better place to draw the line, and keeps this from being a slippery slope).

i think its a cool aspect of the track. I like the danger of jumping near hammers

Under my proposed rule, that aspect would still be there. It would still be dangerous, since the current life would need to be sacrificed immediately, just not excessively dangerous the way it is now! 

I think that the "no hammer challenge" should really be thought of more as the "no hammer *smashes* challenge", because IMO, that's ultimately the core of what the variant is about - it's about not being able to protect yourself with the hammer. Swinging the hammer around for a few seconds while you look for a place to die doesn't do anything in your favor. The board will just be a do-over (or not, if it's your last life), same as if you'd died by running into a firefox or falling through a rivet hole.

DQ'ing the whole game just because of a hammer grab is really overdoing it. Weird stuff happens, and I don't just mean mental mistakes. If a player is on a major tear, like 700K on their second man, and they drop something that accidentally whacks their jump button at the wrong time, or the cat hits it, or whatever, does it really make sense to invalidate the whole performance?

Yes, it's unlikely, but talking about this stuff now keeps awkward situations from arising later!  :) As Ross said while watching me last night, after my megaderp: "play this out to the killscreen and all ass will break loose."

With Donkey Kong the "spirit of the game" is that you get a few chances to screw up and still forge ahead. Only four screw-ups, but there really isn't any equivalent, in any other play variant, for totally invalidating an entire run. The requirement that 1-1 be completed in order for a 1-1 score to count is the closest comparison, but that's very different, in the sense that having to complete the board actually dictates what kind of scores are possible. Not having to finish can be exploited, and would change the strategy, so there can actually be a material difference in the outcome.

Grabbbing a hammer, immediately suiciding, and replaying the board though? That's no different than just dying some other way and replaying it. I've made much, much dumber mistakes in Donkey Kong than the one I made in the game against Tim, and I was appropriately penalized for them with a loss of a single life. I would say "DQ" is a disproportionate penalty for an in-game mistake.

Maybe i would feel different if id had a big game ruined by a hammer grab,

Ha! Trust me. "Everything is fine as it is" is a very easy thing to say for people who this has never happened to! When your nasty moment comes, you're instantly gonna start rethinking this thread... Kappa
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 04:36:55 pm by ChrisP »

Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 04:49:47 pm »
I voted to keep the rule as is because I feel to retroactively change the rule in any way would be unfair to the players who slaved away under the current ruleset.  Also, I feel that No Hammer is supposed to be harsh, and avoiding the hammer at all costs is part of the challenge in the variant - lessening the penalty for grabbing a hammer would reduce the difficulty.

Lastly, ChrisP's mind-boners are as hilarious to me as they are painful to him. :D

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 04:53:43 pm »
Lastly, ChrisP's mind-boners are as hilarious to me as they are painful to him. :D

I've only done this twice, and YOU were there both times! <mad>

Anyway, I see where this poll is going, and I accept and embrace the consensus.

And this will just make it all the more satisfying when it happens to somebody else. Just know that you won't have ol' ChrisP crying in the corner with you. I'll be nodding at you quietly, with this face: ;D

Offline Milehighdt

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 05:08:30 pm »
I feel the DQ is too severe a penalty and modified that rule in the past for the No-Hammer tournaments. The ending of the game at a hammer grab seems best (not TG harsh but big). Hank put forth this idea last year (loss of man, not game) and I can see the logic of a smaller penalty but I think it goes against the spirit of the game variant. I'll be interested in seeing what the community says.
DK (Arcade) 1,129,700
DK No-hammer (Arcade) 768800 Killscreen
DK No-hammer (mame japan set)  524600 level 21-4
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener Winner of a community event Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK No-Hammer Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener

Online stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 06:26:44 pm »
And this will just make it all the more satisfying when it happens to somebody else. Just know that you won't have ol' ChrisP crying in the corner with you. I'll be nodding at you quietly, with this face: ;D

It also happened to me last night.  I had 265K (with 1 death) on Level 7-6.  The timer was dangerously low, so I made a suicide run to clear the top right rivet.  While attempting to jump over a fireball, I accidentally grabbed the top hammer.

Marginal disappointment.  A decent score, but not terribly deep into the game.

I voted for Option #2.

In my opinion, automatic DQ is unnecessarily harsh.  "Game Over" is not.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 06:54:39 pm »
A thought experiment for everybody who is voting for the first and second options:

If Mruczek's original protocol for this track had been to DQ (or take the final score) only at the point of an object being smashed by a hammer, would you have argued against that protocol, and specifically made the case for DQing at the point of grabbing the hammer? And if so, what would the basis of your argument be?

Again, I'm okay with all of this (and I'm just kinda doing some <stirpot> here because sometimes I enjoy thought experiments of this kind), but I do have to wonder, if it had been established as a no-smash challenge (ie, explicitly allowing for accidental hammer grabs) from the outset, would anyone have ever questioned it?

Also worth pointing out: the official TG wording is "Player is NOT allowed to use or even touch the hammer". It's actually pretty common, sometimes even critical, to "touch" (that is, put Jumpman's pixels into contact with the hammer-pixels) without activating the hammer. Many of us would have DQ'ed games if we were to have stuck with the letter of the law there.

What I'm worried about, when it comes to this track, isn't so much mistakes of the kind that I made last night (that was just silliness). But it IS conceivable that factors  beyond the player's reasonable control or ability to prevent could conspire against him, deep in a very promising game, resulting in an accidental jump input while Jumpman is underneath a hammer. They'd be getting a very raw deal in that case, and for no good reason.

Making a "suicide, with no smash" rule allows for the game to be salvaged in such a circumstance, and again, with no material advantage or benefit to the player (they are, after all, losing a life and have to restart the board from a clean state).

Online stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 07:17:17 pm »
It also happened to me last night.  I had 265K (with 1 death) on Level 7-6.  The timer was dangerously low, so I made a suicide run to clear the top right rivet.  While attempting to jump over a fireball, I accidentally grabbed the top hammer.

Correction:  265,200 on Level 8-6

The other details are accurate.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 07:29:00 pm »
I thought about that when i first read this, certainly nobody would have questioned it if the original rule was game over at hammer grab, or game over at smash, it would still have been a fun track...

However those were not the rules, it is what it is, and the track is not broken. I could live with points up to a hammer grab counting, but killing your man and continuing the game, id hate to see that...

No good reasons, no comparisons, no cats jumping on the jump button... No Fuckin Hammers!  <Roy>

:D

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 07:32:52 pm by Fast Eddie »

Offline Milehighdt

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 07:58:48 pm »
You shall not make my shirts worthless.  ;D

long live "No Hammer, No Problem"
DK (Arcade) 1,129,700
DK No-hammer (Arcade) 768800 Killscreen
DK No-hammer (mame japan set)  524600 level 21-4
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener Winner of a community event Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK No-Hammer Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 09:42:37 pm »
 <Mruczek> ... with my dying breath!