Author Topic: 3D donkey kong images  (Read 9252 times)

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
3D donkey kong images
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:25:00 am »
I don't remember if these were ever shown in the past, I think they might, but either way, these are cool images this SEVENSHEAVEN guy makes from 8 bit screen and converts it to 3D.

Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: 3D donkey kong images
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:41:03 am »
Haha, that's funny. I would enjoy playing a new version like that of Donkey Kong (like what they did with Pac-Man Championship on Xbox Live).
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:10:10 am »
I don't remember if these were ever shown in the past, I think they might, but either way, these are cool images this SEVENSHEAVEN guy makes from 8 bit screen and converts it to 3D.

That's a nice find, Dave.  I hadn't seen any of those images before.

Someone should commission that guy (and a team of software engineers) to construct a playable, holographic version of DK.  The player could be fitted with strategically located sensors to detect running, jumping, climbing, and hammer actions.  I imagine that a kill screen performance of such a game would be quite a strenuous workout.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline craighiphopfish

• Gleaming the cube!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 09:32:01 pm »
Dave...you just blew my mind bro.
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:37:28 am »
Wow!! These would make some fantastic wall art!
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 07:51:53 am »

After examining the 3-D images more closely, I noticed a few peculiarities:

Elevator Stage

The fireball is hanging out on a small, isolated platform.  How did it get there?  Did it somehow jump the gap?  If so, that's a nice trick.  It would make the stage a little more interesting.  If firefoxes had that ability, L5+ rivets would be more of a colossal nightmare than they already are.

Rivet Stage

What's the purse doing on the left side of the 3rd girder?  I'm guessing that Mario is a more shady character than we realized.  He picked it up on the bottom level, took the cash and credit cards inside, and ditched it somewhere else.  He's a slippery one.

Both hammers are on the right side of the screen.  That's great news!  From now on, I'll be using the weave pattern almost exclusively.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 10:44:19 am »
Good eye Scott, I didn't even notice that. From the first image I was really think he was doing them from in game boards. However, the contours and depth he puts on the image could be straight from the 8-bit, so I i'm sure he did a lot of tweaking.

Jonesy, I agree, that would make great game room art.

Oh, and I combined a panoramic type view of these boards and attached the file if someone wants to use is as a facebook header. I personally like my guitar heard on my FB.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:51:25 am by LMDAVE »

Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 10:55:15 am »
Hey Dave,

I've been in touch with the guy who created these. The images are available to purchase through the website framed or printed onto box canvases (various sizes) and they are shipped from the USA. I purchased a couple of full sized images and am getting them printed over here in the uk onto some box canvases.

Jonesy

*edit - that would make a very cool header, cheers for that!*

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 12:42:44 pm »
Notice, also, how DK is conveniently just out of each picture. I wonder if that is to prevent copyright problems. Actually, the fireball and hammer changes might be for that very same purpose too. If you've ever seen that one finger painting piece of the barrel screen that is put on shirts (here: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/12/donkey-kong-as-expressionistic-painting/), if I remember correctly, the artist specifically left out a ladder so that he couldn't be sued.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 01:20:02 pm »
Hi guys,

I purchased two full size images from the artist (over 30MB each) and had them printed onto box canvas. They turned out really well, the pictures don't really do them justice.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:24:49 pm by Jonesy Kong »

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 01:28:26 pm »
Wow, those are really nice (yeah I noticed the snapjaw)! Does the artist have a website?
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 01:30:58 pm »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 09:26:19 am »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/c64tv/9025478656/#in/photostream/

Cool, those are made from Commodore 64 games....love the Lode Runner and Impossible Mission ones.