Author Topic: To Submit or Not to Submit?  (Read 8376 times)

Zmick_tricK

To Submit or Not to Submit?
« on: March 12, 2015, 02:45:09 pm »
Out of curiosity, I took a glance at the TG high score lists for my favorite games. I found out that my scores would qualify me to place fairly highly on the leaderboards for Robotron and Bubbles (9 and 4, respectively for the MAME records).

Part of me says: SUBMIT! If for no other reason than to get familiarized with the submission requirements and let myself be known to the community before I start coming up with the insanely high scores I aim to achieve one day. However, also because it would give me some measure of bragging rights, even if not much ("I'm the 4th ranked MAME Bubbles player." sounds, well, a little impressive, doesn't it? :D)

Part of me says: DON'T SUBMIT! Because I really don't think my scores are actually that good. I'm sure there are dozens of people who have gotten higher scores than me in Robotron who just never bothered to submit, which waters down the merit of having my scores up there. Also, I'm not sure there are really so many people going for Bubbles high scores, which would put me in the less-than-admirable position of having one of the top 10 scores in a game that I'm not even sure 10 people in the world are actively working on. Yay?

There have to be some people here who have gone through this same thought process. I was just wondering what others had to say about it.

(Side note, I have no actual submittable videos at the moment. This thread is supposing that I start recording all of my games and get close to or improve my PB.)

Offline Dk_madness

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: To Submit or Not to Submit?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 06:27:03 pm »
Definitely submit....... Get your name on the score board and start the climb to the top sir!!  Kreygasm Kreygasm
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK Masters - Rank D Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 06:37:37 pm »
I would submit if you feel proud of a score achieved, or are serious about the game and want to start the climb to the top.  It doesn't have to be number one and in the meantime you learn how  to record and submit your games, get familiar with the system.  By recording you will probably take the games more seriously too which will help you focus and take the game to the next level.  It should be about your own accomplishments though, don't worry as much about what other scores are out there, public or not.  Those scores are just benchmarks against which to measure your own progress.  Obscure game?  Not enough competition?  So like ten  people are going for Robotron compared to one or two in Bubbles?  This entire hobby is obscure, but the ones in it will recognize the achievement even if the man on the street has never heard of Bubbles.  I have submitted two scores so far, both in a game that has gotten a handful of submissions in the last decade, a second place and a seventh place.  And I feel good about it.  Do it, you will too.
 <Tim> 
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Evunz

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 08:13:06 pm »
In any case, if your score is good, it must be recognized.

Aim for the head of a classification and obtain the first place is not easy. A throne will not keep it long... (Donkey Kong)

This will allow you several things:

Some recognition of yourself for all your efforts.

Motivation to challenge yourself.

The curiosity of the other players who will lead them (maybe) to play the game.

Submit men ;)

I'm a french player http://www.twitch.tv/evunz
Member for 9 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 08:54:14 pm »
Submit. The f*** not? Maybe you find out something about your configuration or gameplay or something that you need to address. Then, when the real thing comes around, it's sorted. Besides, just like golfers, we're always challenging ourselves. Also like golfers, just ranking anywhere on the pro tour is pretty impressive. I hate golf, but this hobby is my golf. Be proud of what you accomplished.
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 10:53:53 pm »
I say submit as well.  Sides with the new way Twin Galaxies is set up, it actually helps people get submission points by reviewing your games.  In my mind the more submissions given no matter what the score, the greater the scoreboard becomes.  By submitting you are helping build something great.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Zmick_tricK

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 02:39:54 pm »
Good points by all. I didn't think of all of that. This especially-

I say submit as well.  Sides with the new way Twin Galaxies is set up, it actually helps people get submission points by reviewing your games.  In my mind the more submissions given no matter what the score, the greater the scoreboard becomes.  By submitting you are helping build something great.

I guess the worst thing that could happen is that 30 people see my score, scoff, and finally submit their own superior scores. I'd love to see some heated competition in the games I play. I'd love even more to be able to make my mark in the growing history of the games.

Good call, everyone. SUBMIT has won the battle. I just need to get my PC functioning like normal again, so it can sucessfully run both OBS and MAME. *Sigh* technology can be so  Kreygasm and so  BibleThump >:( at the same time.

On that note, if I had recorded my PB, I would qualify to be #114 on the Donkey Kong MAME leaderboard. YEAH BABY!! :D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:42:13 pm by Zmick_tricK »

Zmick_tricK

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 07:31:46 pm »
I just found out that TG submissions are expected to be performed on wolfmame106. It might seem like a minor deal to many, but I am incredibly frustrated by that fact and it's honestly soiled my desire to even bother submitting for now. I spent an hour trying to figure out why wolfmame doesn't display the game the same way mameui64 .158 does. Nothing in any of the menus made any difference. The games are mostly off-center and not drawn the same way between the versions. It would require an incredible amount of time for me to successfully structure my various Twitch layouts to work with the way wolfmame displays the game. Not to mention, I don't like the way the games look while playing, either, and I'm having this ridiculous problem where wolfmame doesn't save any of the settings I set for any of the games and I have to re-set everything every single time I play every single game. I don't know why that's happening either.

Now I have to decide between submitting from a mame version I don't like or not submitting but playing on a mame version I like. ARRRrrrrrrg.

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 02:03:38 am »
wolf106 for life
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 02:18:31 am »
0.106 is a piece of crap and everybody (except phil lol) knows it.
It's all about how badly you want to submit.
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline wolfman24

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 12:29:30 pm »
wht da wolf .106 is best wolf
barra on hearing wolf for the 1st time  "wolf is a child and that is a man talking"

Barra [11|Jul 04:57 PM] Barra: I'll be happy with whatever wolf decides, but will still do my fair share of whinging

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 04:44:48 am »
It can be good to submit and get that score on the board.  Then you can shoot for the higher score.  Just don't submit, beat it by 1000 and submit again.  ;D

Offline TBE

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 08:56:21 am »
I'd wait. If you don't get the right feel with Wolf106, simply wait til a newer version is accepted.. Which will be likely in 2016 when 106 is 10 years old maybe?  <Pigger>

Zmick_tricK

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 06:36:51 am »
TG only has one score on record for Splat, and it isn't even very high. There is a good chance that I might be a world record holder soon ;)

Anyway, does anyone else have the same problems with wolfmame106?

1) Every time I open a rom, the window instantly minimizes, so I have to click on its tab on the task bar to open it.

2) Every time I open the game, it acts as if it's the first time I've ever opened it. This means that the game does its I initial startup procedure, romcheck, factory settings restore and the like and I have wait for the process to complete before I can reset the game and THEN play it.

3) It doesn't save any of my settings for any game. No input save, no volume level save and no display settings save. Also, the default game settings option is doesn't work at all, so I have to do thus fir each I individial game I play each time I open wolfmame.

Given that TG only accepts single-game INPs, it means that- on top of having to redo my display and input settings every time I open wolfmame- EACH TIME I start a new attempt, I have to close the game, create new INP&WLF save files, open the rom, click the taskbar, click enter to start the game, adjust the volume level,  wait several seconds for start up, wait several seconds for the romcheck and factory settings restore to complete, reset the game, wait several seconds for the game to start up, insert coin and THEN start.

All in all, the whole process kills my momentum from game to game and makes it much less enjoyable to be playing. It takes me out of the moment :(

Every... single... time.

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 08:37:01 am »
Most of that stuff is just the norm when trying to record a score.
When you start a game its basically akin to turning on a machine.  Hence the start up process that it has to go through

Under default game options, you can adjust the core volume. It should start out at whatever you set here
I see you mention this does not work, I suggest looking at the mame.ini file. This will list somewhere what your default game volume is.

I am unsure about your taskbar issue. Under default game options try clicking "start out maximised" and see if that works.

Hope that helps.
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer