Author Topic: PC for streaming twitch OBS  (Read 7622 times)

Offline jumpman

• Awards
PC for streaming twitch OBS
« on: February 20, 2015, 08:35:56 am »
I haven't had luck trying to stream with my older dell with a pentium 4 3ghz 4memory. Is my pc definately too old? I have done searches looking for system requirements but I'm not sure
If requirements I find for are for newer console games which would require a  more expensive pc. I strictly would use a webcam pointing at dedicated arcade game, what kind of specs would I need to look for? Any ideas would be great. Do I need a dedicated graphics card? Need a quad core processor, etc..
DK Arcade 606,200
Zookeeper 750k

http://www.twitch.tv/shigerumiyamoto
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Evunz

• Awards
Re: PC for streaming twitch OBS
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 11:43:03 am »
Hello

If you want streamed only Donkey Kong (or other games of the 80s) your configuration is sufficient. It is especially important to ensure that your internet connection allows correct quality for the people who will look at you.
I'm a french player http://www.twitch.tv/evunz
Member for 9 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline jumpman

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 05:40:45 pm »
yes, you are correct sir. I got it working with help from DKJR over the phone to compare settings.
DK Arcade 606,200
Zookeeper 750k

http://www.twitch.tv/shigerumiyamoto
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 09:10:10 pm »
I haven't had luck trying to stream with my older dell with a pentium 4 3ghz 4memory. Is my pc definately too old? I have done searches looking for system requirements but I'm not sure If requirements I find for are for newer console games which would require a  more expensive pc. I strictly would use a webcam pointing at dedicated arcade game, what kind of specs would I need to look for? Any ideas would be great. Do I need a dedicated graphics card? Need a quad core processor, etc..

If you want streamed only Donkey Kong (or other games of the 80s) your configuration is sufficient. It is especially important to ensure that your internet connection allows correct quality for the people who will look at you.

Yep.  Consider these additional data points from my own personal experience...

For a brief period a few years ago I was using a 1.66GHz Core Duo (Intels' first true dual core processor) laptop from 2006 for my twitch streaming.  It could handle the garden variety early '80s stuff but OutRun, with its high speed, full-screen, super-scaling sprite graphics, gave it fits.  The stream would freeze for a few seconds every 10-15 seconds or so, and as you progressed further through the course the audio got further and further behind the video.  By the time you reached the finish line the audio could be as much as 20 seconds behind the video.  At the time I had a middle tier bandwidth package from Comcast that was 15Mbps down and 3Mbps up.

Not long after I switched to a spare desktop I have that has a 3.0 GHz Core 2 Duo (Intel's second dual core processor architecture) proc and it had no issues keeping up, even though I had since switched to a lower tier service from Comcast that was 3Mbps down and 384Kbps up.

Both machines were running Windows XP SP3 at the time, for what it's worth.
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer