Author Topic: What is the quickest you have seen the fireball reach the top girder?  (Read 4004 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
So I was on level 4, and this fireball actually beats me to the top girder despite the fact I was not grouping, and did not use the bottom hammer.   The fireball got to the top at 5500 left on the bonus timer.  I guess if it had been a tad bit quicker I could have killed it with the top hammer, but it snuck(strangely Firefox thinks snuck is a misspelled word) right past me, and onto the top girder.  So how bout you?  What is the fastest you have seen the fireball hit the top girder?
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
Re: What is the quickest you have seen the fireball reach the top girder?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:47:58 am »
Same scenerio. I think it was the fastest I have even seen one game I played. I was running boards and this was deep into the game. It literally went straight up and beat me to the top. Never saw a fireball go so fast. It went up the center bottom ladder, right up the next middle ladder and then again up the small ladder on the right and the ladder to the top platform. It literally beat me up and i was steering barrels away and ran straight up to get the top hammer. Man I was not happy....
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 10:59:36 am »

I've seen a few fireballs make it up there quickly, although I didn't happen to notice the bonus timer value.  Unlike Dan, I don't think I've ever seen one make a beeline to the top; there's usually some back and forth movement on at least one of the girders.  While running boards, I've had plenty of fireballs get to the 6th girder ahead of me, escaping via one of the two ladders while I was giving chase with the top hammer.  That's really not uncommon, as I don't consider "running boards" and "top hammer" mutually exclusive.  In those types of games, it's also not rare to experience difficulty just "getting to" the upper hammer, courtesy of a rapidly climbing fireball.

I had one game recently, on a Level 5+ barrels board, where the fireball ascended the middle ladder almost immediately.  I decided to let it go, and waited until I felt a decent bottom hammer was likely.  Before the hammer had expired, I noticed that the fireball was already on the 6th girder.  Since I was busy steering and smashing barrels, I wasn't aware of what path it took to get there.

Bottom hammer timing is a debatable DK topic.  When the initial fireball decides to be an early climber (middle ladder to the 2nd girder), you have a couple of choices.  You can grab the hammer right away, and try to smash the fireball before it has a chance to create havoc later in the stage.  Or, you can wait, in hopes of setting up a huge bottom hammer.  Murphy's Law dictates that 70% of the time, whichever option you take will be the wrong one.   :(

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 05:57:04 pm »
Well this time I got an even quicker fireball to the top!  The fireball reached the Level 4 top girder with 6200 left on the bonus timer!

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 06:47:55 pm »
Well this time I got an even quicker fireball to the top!  The fireball reached the Level 4 top girder with 6200 left on the bonus timer!

Sounds like the fireball had absolutely no interest in playing nice.

I'll shamelessly steal a line from the 1985 movie, "Head Office":

"Ouch!  Get me a cocktail."   :)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 09:18:32 pm »

Sounds like the fireball had absolutely no interest in playing nice.

I'll shamelessly steal a line from the 1985 movie, "Head Office":

"Ouch!  Get me a cocktail."   :)

Got another really mean fireball.  This time though the fireball literally hunted me all around the 3rd girder.  The thing that sucked is that I was 21k from getting my all time high score.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard