Author Topic: Trippin My Face Off To 1m  (Read 46822 times)

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Trippin My Face Off To 1m
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 08:01:58 am »
I'm going to do my best to get my first game in tonight.

I may do the same, although I've already played twice this morning between 5:45 and 6:30 AM.  I forced myself, for the moment, to adhere to the "no restarts" rule.  Two full games in less than an hour should give you some idea of how spectacularly the session turned out.  I would post the final scores, but I prefer to avoid humor of the unintentional variety.

I'll create a separate thread for any future updates, so as to not disrupt your journey.

EDIT:  Changed "spectacular" to "spectacularly", once I realized I was using it as an adverb.  If I can't killscreen this game, I should at least attempt to practice reasonably good grammar.  ::)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:44:11 am by stella_blue »
DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 04:27:16 pm »
Ha, my first game ever trying to point press is updated above.  Maybe I'm trying to do too much before full barrel steering ability is granted, but I think of it as a practice run of sorts since I've never tried half the stuff I'm trying now, still counts though as per my own rules even though I died once early on 1-1 and on a pie factory so not much points from deaths, still no restarting damn it.   We'll "press" on like Lee Nails.  Cards game tonight though so only 1 game.   
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:30:29 pm by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 07:28:46 pm »
2nd game, 2 elevator deaths and a wild barrel later....yeah. 

I find myself thinking about the upcoming barrel screens too much and then dying on non-barrel boards because I'm not thinking.  I gotta stop that.  Progress though, albeit slow.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 10:53:35 am »
So, 2 games in 2 weeks.  I've been slacking.  I've been working on a different game lately that is taking my gaming time.  I will hopefully get a game of DK in tonight though.  Thanks for listening.

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 11:59:57 am »
Just follow ScumBum's advice and you've got 1M in the bag.  Don't forget to use save states.

GL!
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 08:07:19 am »
2 games in a month = epic fail in time management.  Real life getting in the way of playing.  If I do find myself with some time, I'm usually fixing (or in some cases exacerbating the problem) my games lately.  In the words of my Ukranian office mate, "What you can do?".  I'll hopefully play some soon.  I'll need to if Ken gets the BOTA vs MAME challenge going soon instead of playing Robotron. 

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 05:11:20 am »
Not sure how many games I'll get in before Funspot since work has been kray kray...however, I'll play some at FS, (assuming Hank, Vincent and Robbie let me on the machine)   ;)

I'll also ask one of them to "peer review" one of my games for DK Forum glory.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 06:16:31 am »
Not sure how many games I'll get in before Funspot since work has been kray kray...however, I'll play some at FS, (assuming Hank, Vincent and Robbie let me on the machine)   ;)

I'll also ask one of them to "peer review" one of my games for DK Forum glory.

I currently plan to be there on Friday (05/31) and/or Saturday (06/01).  I hope to play a little, but the emphasis of my visit will be on socializing and just hanging out.  I'll happily give up my turn on DK, rather than attempt to reacquaint myself with the reversed arcade controls.  Plus, it will give me the opportunity to do some damage on the Out Run cabinet.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 06:30:01 am »
Sweet.  Do you know Martin Bedard?  He'll be there, you guys should play some Out Run, I believe he's quite the player on that as well.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 07:44:21 am »
Sweet.  Do you know Martin Bedard?  He'll be there, you guys should play some Out Run, I believe he's quite the player on that as well.

I'm familiar with Martin, although we've never met.  My major 2012 gaming project was chasing his outrageous 53M Out Run score on MAME (the TG record).  There was no other active competition on that title, but I thought it was a worthwhile pursuit.  I finally surpassed his score back in October, and have done it twice more since then.  I'm just waiting for things to settle down at TG before I submit.  From one of his posts, I learned that he achieved his score after 20-25 hours of play.  By contrast, my best run required an investment of more than 6 months.  Kinda sheds some light on the difference in natural talent, doesn't it?

It would be fun to go head-to-head on the Out Run cabinet, or to spend a few moments just discussing the game.  However, I realize that he will be busy competing on a wide variety of other games.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 10:20:51 am »

I'm familiar with Martin, although we've never met.  My major 2012 gaming project was chasing his outrageous 53M Out Run score on MAME (the TG record).  There was no other active competition on that title, but I thought it was a worthwhile pursuit.  I finally surpassed his score back in October, and have done it twice more since then.  I'm just waiting for things to settle down at TG before I submit.  From one of his posts, I learned that he achieved his score after 20-25 hours of play.  By contrast, my best run required an investment of more than 6 months.  Kinda sheds some light on the difference in natural talent, doesn't it?

It would be fun to go head-to-head on the Out Run cabinet, or to spend a few moments just discussing the game.  However, I realize that he will be busy competing on a wide variety of other games.

I'm sure he'd be happy to, he's a great guy and yeah he picks stuff up rather quickly.  Beating his 53m is stellar, awesome job!  Also, make sure you find me at some point for some beers downstairs.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:28:27 am by pwnasaurus »

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 12:22:24 pm »
I'm sure he'd be happy to, he's a great guy and yeah he picks stuff up rather quickly.  Beating his 53m is stellar, awesome job!  Also, make sure you find me at some point for some beers downstairs.

Thanks.  I'm looking forward to meeting you, Martin, Vincent, Hank, and Robbie.  At this point, I'm not sure who else is going to be there.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 08:51:26 am »

Thanks.  I'm looking forward to meeting you, Martin, Vincent, Hank, and Robbie.  At this point, I'm not sure who else is going to be there.

All of the New England folks (Donald, Dave Nelson, The Crams, etc), John McAllister, Fred Ochs and others.  Always a good time.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 04:57:08 am »
2 month update....ummmm....I had fun at Funspot, I haven't made a DK attempt in months it appears....ummmm....I don't know....what else....I populated a shit ton of personal scores on random games up on JohnBart's site....ummmm.....I've been playing mostly Taito games lately....I think. 

<End Transmission>

I also bought a new toaster.....
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 06:05:29 am by pwnasaurus »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 06:51:37 am »
I populated a shit ton of personal scores on random games up on JohnBart's site...

Yes you did! That must've taken you a very long time to do.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer