Author Topic: Gaming League Poll  (Read 7957 times)

Donkey Kong Genius

Gaming League Poll
« on: December 17, 2014, 04:35:06 pm »
As I mentioned when I made the Mario Bros Online Open public, I had thrown around the idea of having a series of tournaments hosted by the Donkey Kong Wiki which may develop into a Mario Bros League, or may also include other titles such as Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Junior, D2K, Donkey Kong 3, etc through out the year for a Gaming League. When we still had 5 or more Donkey Kong Opens, I had developed the idea of a Donkey Kong League which would track our involvement and scores over the course of a year (season), which would add a new dimension to how we compete and compile information on a yearly basis. The original concept and philosophy behind the Donkey Kong League is here: http://wiki.donkeykonggenius.com/Donkey_Kong_League

In this link I explained the concepts and format of the Donkey Kong League and how people could earn League points by placing in a tournament and achieving various skill challenges for additional points. With the recent change in the DKO tournaments began to get me thinking further on this subject, and I could continue these a few times a year as well as part of this Gaming League idea.

If there is general interest in this concept we could discuss it as a community to develop it further. We could have 6 different tournaments through out the year or more, each focused on a different title such as Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong 3, D2K, Junior, etc. With the start of the Mario Bros Online Open, this will be the first of these tournaments. If there is interest in more Mario Bros after this tournament we could do more of those as well for its own League, whichever would help promote the game and our interest in it.

Please leave your comments and thoughts below.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Gaming League Poll
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 07:30:55 pm »
I'm down for a Donkey Kong 3 tournament, and even a Donkey Kong Junior tournament.  I know for a fact that we could have a Donkey Kong Junior tourney even if we are the only ones that show up. 8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 08:27:49 pm »
I think that point distribution in a League format could be a challenge. I mean, one could get a score with 50 players and only get 35th, but out of 10 players they could get 8th, so that would require some thought.

I would also play in a Junior tournament, with or without any kind of League format.

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:17:31 am »
I'd like to see this format with the "CAG game of the month" series that sort of died out.
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 09:08:57 am »
I agree with Brendan.  Maybe settle on 6 titles at like 2 months each? The 4 dks, Mario and ? Crystal castles  <Pigger> <stirpot>
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 09:36:47 am »
Foot Category or riot
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 09:46:05 am »
Foot Category or riot

The agony of da feet.   FailFish

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 09:49:46 am »
Foot Category or riot

Going toe to toe, literally.

There are plenty of others, but I'll stop now.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 06:18:55 pm »
Perhaps those who voted maybe could further explain there thoughts on the subject. Might help give shape to how things would work. Thanks.

Offline sevenup1203

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 06:31:43 pm »
I think it would be great to do something like  a league.  Kinda reminds me of what speedrunners did with "seasons" but that fell apart.  Id be up for either option either doing just one game like DK or doing multiple games.  I think it's a great idea to keep the community involved and feel like something is happening.
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener Blogger

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 06:49:11 pm »
Yeah, I remember when johnbart hosted a CAG league a few years ago, and it was a lot of fun. It only lasted a couple of weeks, but I think that was more related to some CAGDC drama that was unfolding at the time. I think that's what happened anway, like I said it was a while back. haha, I'll never forget when Billhouse got only 4k on Rally-X...good times
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 07:43:59 pm »
Perhaps having a different title each month or every other month.

Jan - Mario Bros
Feb - Donkey Kong Junior
Mar - Donkey Kong 3
etc. etc.

Having the next tournament advertised one month in advanced during the present month's tournament.

This would be easy to organize. If I did something like this, I would be interested in giving more attention to Mario Bros every other month two weeks in between one of these. Just some thoughts for us to think about.

Offline sevenup1203

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 06:31:53 am »
^ That's a good start.

That would give me more experience to play games I never have.
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener Blogger

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 07:28:14 pm »
I would really prefer to not include any Nintendo games in a competition like this. Most people have at least tried all of them if not put good scores up on one or more. If you want to do a Mario Bros./DKJ/DK3 league(s) on their own, do that. But spending 25% of the year on games people on this forum are already playing on a daily basis seems to miss the point to me.
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 06:17:50 pm »
The real question I would have is how we would award points for placing on a game during the tournament. I have not worked out how a "League" with point-tracking would even work. I would not be against just having open online tournaments on different titles every now and then, the League component would be interesting if we could devise a way to award points.