Author Topic: DKG Presents Mario Bros Online Open  (Read 25687 times)

Offline johnbart

• Awards
Re: DKG Presents Mario Bros Online Open
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 04:00:09 pm »
I have a real soft spot for this game as I've enjoyed too many hours of doubles.  I'm horrible at single player but I'm in.  Hopefully it'll make me play the game a bit and improve.

To show my love for the game I'm also pitching in the following to the prize pool:

1st - $40
2nd - $10
Mystery bounty (to be decided by the organizers) - $10

Let's flip some turtles!
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 05:09:27 pm »
Signed up for funzies. I suck at Mario Bros.  :P

Can we play on RU or are the dips different?

Default dips at RU are easy unfortunately.

:-\
Member for 9 Years Blogger

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 06:25:19 pm »
Prizes and registration list updated. We now have at least 10 players registered so Dan's donations have been officially added to the prize pool. Excited to get the tournament started. :D Thanks to everyone and their contributions.

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 02:13:04 am »
I have a real soft spot for this game as I've enjoyed too many hours of doubles. 

Very cool!  What kind of scores do you guys get on doubles and have you ever tried NO POW doubles?

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 08:18:40 am »
I played at work with a co-worker and our scores were above the current WR.  We played a super aggressive style where you need to rush up and take things out before they dropped off the top level.  By definition it doesn't use the POW at all unless you need a total bail out at some point.

A few years back when Ross and I set the NO POW score at the Seattle show we did it using this approach after just a few hours of me introducing him to the game play style.  The game becomes a thing of beauty when it's working well but it definitely is walking a tight rope.

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 08:29:40 am »
I played at work with a co-worker and our scores were above the current WR.  We played a super aggressive style where you need to rush up and take things out before they dropped off the top level.  By definition it doesn't use the POW at all unless you need a total bail out at some point.

A few years back when Ross and I set the NO POW score at the Seattle show we did it using this approach after just a few hours of me introducing him to the game play style.  The game becomes a thing of beauty when it's working well but it definitely is walking a tight rope.

You really should get back into playing doubles.  There may be a Mario Off 3 sometime this next year and I imagine it will be for doubles only.  We could use more teams to make this happen.  The current WR was beaten just recently at Free Play Florida and is now 1,186,090.  Did you guys have a higher score than that?

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 08:37:11 am »
The highest we got was in the 1.4M range and we had to walk away from the machine to get back to work :)  We also played on hard because the timing of fireballs actually worked better for the approach we had.

I'd love to play doubles again but I have no one nearby to team up with.  This was at an old job 7-8 years ago and we both moved to different cities.  Has anyone been able to get an online Mame version playable?  A number of years ago I looked into that but it was crap at the time.

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 08:44:20 am »
The highest we got was in the 1.4M range and we had to walk away from the machine to get back to work :)  We also played on hard because the timing of fireballs actually worked better for the approach we had.

I'd love to play doubles again but I have no one nearby to team up with.  This was at an old job 7-8 years ago and we both moved to different cities.  Has anyone been able to get an online Mame version playable?  A number of years ago I looked into that but it was crap at the time.

Look at the MB high score list on the DK forum and it will show you how to setup Mamehub and Kaillera.  It's not perfect but it works and sometimes real good.  You would certainly have to use Medium diff. though as that makes a difference.  Making the green fireballs come out quicker is totally different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4tRzeCYeTg

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 09:08:01 am »
Awesome.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks.

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 05:31:21 pm »
John, I am looking for someone to play doubles with online so if you get around to it I will play with you through mamehub, etc. Let me know.

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 07:40:49 am »
John, I am looking for someone to play doubles with online so if you get around to it I will play with you through mamehub, etc. Let me know.

Cool.  I'll see if it can get it setup this weekend.  Do you know if we both need to be running the same version of mame?  If so what are you running?

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 08:00:11 am »

Cool.  I'll see if it can get it setup this weekend.  Do you know if we both need to be running the same version of mame?  If so what are you running?

It doesn't work this way with people using different versions of mame.  Mamehub has it's own built in version of mame.  Just download the installer and do a little homework on it to get it to work. (videos to watch) You will have to do a port forwarding with Mamehub to unblock your IP address.  Search youtube to figure out that part.  And I think mame 154 is used for mamehub currently. 

Kaillera uses 119 and the netplay is built into this version of mame.  No port forwarding here!  There is also a 134 version of Kaillera but I have not used it.  It's the easier system to use but it has slow down in the higher levels of MB's.   :(

They do work and without them Steven and I never would have been able to practice up before the Free Play FL. event.  HOWEVER, these systems can be buggy once in a while.  It's just weird!  Some nights they work so damn good and other nights the game may not even start up in Mamehub.  Then we just use Kaillera that night.   ;D

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 05:58:21 pm »
Mamehub is the way to go. Like others have said it can have connection/desync problems but it's the best you're going to be able to get.
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 07:29:01 pm »
- Streams must have sound enabled. We must be able to hear the contestants voice and the game sounds.

Twitch muting copyrighted music could be a problem with this.
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 08:01:20 pm »
Possibly a problem. I assume that people will be in and out of our streams and will be able to hear all the sounds, etc. It is not muted during live play. I would encourage all of us to watch in on each others games.