Author Topic: Donkey Kong Slump :(  (Read 5941 times)

Offline craighiphopfish

• Gleaming the cube!!!
    • Awards
Donkey Kong Slump :(
« on: February 24, 2013, 01:38:10 pm »
Just curious, has anyone here ever gotten into a bad DK slump?  How long did it last?  My background info: I finally was able to fullfill my childhood dream and buy a DK machine in late August (before I had even heard of the Kong Off).  I have always loved the game but I decided to put 100% of my effort into the game.  The night before the Kong Off 2, I put up my best score yet (207,000).  However, since then my score has stayed static.  I don't point press often (good advice from Robbie) and lately have only played a handful of games since my baby was born six weeks ago.  I love to watch you guys stream (stealing tricks and tips) and I feel now I'm a better player than I was before the Kong Off (even though my score doesn't show).  I'm usually averaging 140,000 to 180,000 but nothing better.  Is this mental?  Do I need a break through game?  Maybe I need to make minor adjustments?  I'm gonna go hop on the machine and try again!!!~Craigers
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Tyr1ck

Re: Donkey Kong Slump :(
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:53:19 pm »
I started playing Donkey Kong early January, so I might be able to help a bit (since my days of scoring 200k on average aren't far off).  How do you die usually? Which map? Are wild barrels taking you out often (If so, you can definitely work on that).  Are you occasionally missing jumps on the elevator stage?  Having trouble with what to do once the pie factory doesn't throw you a free pass? ... Um, Rivets?? (I still have no confidence with that one...)

Since everyone's skill set is different early on (ex: someone is awesome at jumping barrels but doesn't know about steering them vs someone who can steer but can't jump worth a damn) it might be easier to troubleshoot some of your problems by simply looking at patterns in your deaths.  The question is simple at this point, "What do I need to do to stay alive longer?"

http://zixg.com/kong/

I was able to pour through various text message convo's with friends that documented every time I scored a higher game on DK (Ya, I get excited and text a few peeps when I break my previous score >.<)  This is how I have been progressing in the game.  Notice the little bump Jan 12th....  For me, that was the moment I learned about steering barrels, and it's clearly been a game changer.  Seems you are hung up in a similar score range as I was.... (Again, doesn't mean you have the same problem that I did then) It's difficult to guess, but based on my personal gameplay, you might just be a bump away from steady improvement. 

Do you steer barrels to keep them from turning into a nightmare in the upper-left hand corner of the screen?? ^^

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 03:24:18 pm »

A bad Donkey Kong slump?  Yeah, I like to refer to it as my entire DK career.  It's lasted 30 years, with no signs of letting up.

Self-deprecating humor aside, I think what you're experiencing is all too common.  Many players struggle with a number of plateaus in this game.  When you first start out, you make a lot of rookie mistakes.  You learn to correct them, and your scores steadily increase.  At some point, you hit a wall, where you feel as though you've stopped improving.  The 150-200k range seems to be fairly typical.  However, if you stick with it, you'll eventually overcome that first roadblock.  As you continue to play, you'll gain experience, and with it, more confidence.  Once again, your scores will begin to climb, until you reach the next hurdle.  And so on.  Of course, your current "slump" may be the only plateau you encounter for a long while.  Once past it, you might have that breakthrough game where you eclipse your personal best by 400,000 points.  It happens.

More encouraging news:  if your current best is 207k, and you're not doing much point-pressing, you've made it past Levels 5 and 6.  If you can complete those 2 levels, you can finish them all.  The game doesn't get any more difficult (although the unforgiving nature of the randomness might make you believe otherwise).

I had one horrendous streak almost a year ago.  It was so bad, I had to document it.  Over the course of a weekend, playing on MAME, it took 144 restarts to finally reach Level 5 without a death.  I couldn't buy a clean start.  Aggressive point-pressing, conservative pressing, running boards, single hammer, double hammer, high risk, low risk; it didn't matter what I tried.  Thank goodness that's over with.

There are many ingredients that contribute to success in this game:  analytical skill, reflexes, precise execution, timing, peripheral vision, etc.  Two that are occasionally overlooked are persistence and experience.

Good luck!

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 03:35:20 pm »
yep for the longest time i was stuck at 395,800   ...  Then had a breakout game of 610,800 ..      Best i've had recently is 458k

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 04:14:43 pm »
I have been stuck on the same Donkey Kong high score since September 2011.   Now that is what I call a slump!
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline craighiphopfish

• Gleaming the cube!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 04:36:12 pm »
The funny thing is that the game I played after I started this thread...206,000.  Go figure!

Simpsons99

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 05:02:28 pm »
I have been stuck on the same Donkey Kong high score since September 2011.   Now that is what I call a slump!
  George you don'nt play it enough to be calling it a Slump!

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 05:31:50 pm »
  George you don'nt play it enough to be calling it a Slump!

Since February 5th I have played this game 123 times.  Of course I am counting restarts, and since I got my high score in September 2011, I have played this game at least 450 times, and again counting restarts.   Yeah, I would call this a slump.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline craighiphopfish

• Gleaming the cube!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 05:45:50 pm »
Tyr1ck, yeah I steer barrels.  I feel like my game play is getting solid, but I think there may be a few tweaks I need to learn.  I am usually okay on the elevators, but I suck a retreating.  I am figuring out some of the "hot spots" to avoid as well.  Who knows though.  I think I just need to remain focused.  Even though I'm on the bottom of our groups Donkey Kong totem pole, I love the game too much to ever really beat myself up too much.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 07:52:39 pm »
Well maybe things are starting to go my way now.  It has been since September 2011 that I have reached Level 6-1 on one man.  I just got to Level 7-1 on one man.   Got to a score of 187,600 on that man.  But like a chump I did a couple of really stupid mistakes that ended my game 40,000 points later.  One really good thing is I really think I am starting to get a hang of the elevator stage now.  I am backtracking much more successfully.   So if I keep on doing good on the elevator stage odds seem to be in my favor for a much higher score in a short period of time.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Online TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 08:16:19 pm »
I went through a handwriting slump back in 2nd grade once.  Never recovered.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 05:55:54 pm »
I've probably played DK four or five times in the past year.  I put up a 215k score over a year ago.  Of course, I was mainly playing CK at the time.  I can't call it a slump.  I just haven't played.  I just bought a new laptop, so maybe it's time to download MAME and start again.  Maybe streaming will be easier with this machine, I couldn't get it to work on my old one. 

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger