Author Topic: Tournament Bounty Idea  (Read 3379 times)

Offline up2ng

• Awards
Tournament Bounty Idea
« on: November 21, 2014, 06:58:31 pm »
I'd like to share an idea for a "bounty" or an additional special prize money to be awarded based on a tournament result (an online tournament or perhaps even for the Kong Off itself).  Just to be clear, I'm not in a position where I'll be able to personally contribute the bounty money this time around, but if anyone else wants to run with this idea and contribute, that would be excellent.

The motivation for this type of prize money is to help increase overall participation in contests and to help increase the competitive nature of the contest all the way down the scoreboard throughout the contest.  There are some pretty serious obstacles with contests such as these where a small subset of the possible participants have any realistic chance for prize money.  While participating for its own sake just to be part of the community is enough motivation for some, I'm sure that there are plenty of others out there with a "why bother" attitude because they know that they have no shot to win.  This reduces overall participation.  I believe that the "mystery bounty" concept has done a decent job of addressing this by awarding a prize to a random final placement, but while this may increase overall participation, it does not necessarily achieve the result of fostering more competition throughout the contest all the way down the board.  When I see statistics such as 80 people registered, 34 people submitted scores, a few things come to mind.  Why did only 80 people register?  Out of the 80 who registered, why did only 34 submit scores?  The second question seems to have a couple of different answers.  Some people register in advance and then forget about the contest or they just don't want to bother with it when it rolls around.  Other folks actually DO participate, but they are unable to reach scores that they are proud of during the timeframe of the contest and so they CHOOSE not to submit any scores!  In my opinion, both of these results are bad for these contests.  In my opinion, the best result is to have as many folks participating and competing AND submitting scores as possible.

My solution is to implement a lottery system, similar to how the first few draft picks of each NBA season are determined.  Suppose we ran a contest where 35 people submitted scores and the top 5 scores were awarded prize money.  So, 6th place through 35th place are out of the money.  In one simple structure of my lottery system idea, we would now award lottery balls to the remaining participants as follows:

35th place:  1 lottery ball
34th place:  2 lottery balls
33rd place:  3 lottery balls
32nd place:  4 lottery balls

etc.

8th place:  28 lottery balls
7th place:  29 lottery balls
6th place:  30 lottery balls

If it was determined that there would be one lottery winner (winning a prize equivalent to 5th place money, for example), then one ball would be drawn and that player would win the prize.  In this particular example, there would be a total of 465 lottery balls.  Last place for the contest would have a 1 / 465 = 0.215% chance of winning.  6th place for the contest (the highest score out of the prize money) would have a 30 / 465 = 6.452% chance of winning.

So, the idea here is that every placement that you move up on the board towards the end of the contest has value!  Every participant should be putting in full effort to get their score just a little higher.  A higher final placement on the scoreboard means a greater chance at winning the lottery prize!  Plus, those players who have been playing but not submitting scores would now be foolish to hold back their scores because not submitting means that you give up any chance at winning the lottery prize.

Obviously, the details are flexible.  The tournament organizers might decide to have multiple (say, 5, for example) lottery winners.  They may or may not stipulate that each player can win a maximum of 1 lottery prize, so if their lottery number is drawn a second time, the ball is just thrown back into the drum and the drawing is repeated until there are the requisite number of different lottery winners drawn for the contest.  Payout structures can vary also according to all sorts of mathematical formulas.  The number of lottery balls could double for each placement:  1, 2, 4, 8, 16, etc so that the bubble boy for the contest (6th place in this example) actually has approximately a 50% chance to win the lottery prize.  Structures could be created similar to poker tournaments where the "winner" (6th place in this example) might win, say, 18% of all available lottery balls, the next placement gets about 12% of the balls, the next around 9%, then 7% and so on in a sort of pseudo-logarithmic pattern until all lottery balls are distributed.  You get the idea.

Anyway, I hope that someone in the community considers and runs with this idea because I think you'll find that there will be an extra level of excitement amongst those participants that typically end up somewhere in the middle of the scoreboard because now every placement will count!
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: Tournament Bounty Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 11:41:49 pm »
I like this idea. I'm not sure it will boost the overall number of registrants for an online DK tourney, but it could certainly boost the number of submissions. I've always felt that not submitting a score for tournament in which you've played does a disservice to those that do submit. Maybe this lottery system is something Eric and John can implement in the final DKO and it can be carried on in whatever future tourneys spring up.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 05:56:08 am »
Interesting idea Dean. The other plan I had to run with was a "handicap" prize pool as well. Everyone goes by there HSL score and gets 90% of the difference of that from 1.1 million. Hence you have a 700k HS you would get 360k added to that. This would give you a submission score of 1.06 million to be used in the handicap scores. You only win one of the other (regular or handicap).  The next Online tournament I was going to implement that idea but this has merit  too so I'll want to get everyone's input.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 08:45:43 am »
I've always felt that not submitting a score for tournament in which you've played does a disservice to those that do submit.

We're in complete agreement.  As successful as the tournaments have been, the ratio of scores submitted to number of players registered is a disappointment.  Consider the situation where a player is dissatisfied with his/her performance for the weekend, and chooses not to submit a 250-300k high score.  Is that not an insult to other participants who submit comparable scores and are proud of their accomplishment?

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 09:53:47 am »
I'll fully admit I was not gonna submit my 474k previous tournament but did it anyway because you are right we should submit them which is why i did it even if I was personally disappointed with my score. If you play you should submit a score regardless if its 100k. Come on everyone its all for fun! Even if you have gotten a million before do it anyway.  <Walter>
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger