Author Topic: DKOO #6 will be the last Donkey Kong Tournament  (Read 19574 times)

Offline tessler1134

• Elite Member
    • Awards
DKOO #6 will be the last Donkey Kong Tournament
« on: November 19, 2014, 07:02:31 pm »
Hello everyone. John and I wanted to announce that the DKOO #6 will be the last one that we will host. Unfortunately all good things must come to an end. We have been running them for about 2 years now and we had a really great run. I actually have not even played DK in about 4 months...however I do plan on getting 1 million points at some point in my life :P. Now we will be moving on to work on other things. I am working on opening an arcade over here in southern California with a few friends (~90 games), so I will be focused on that from now on. John is also working on opening his own arcade, his own shows and has ideas to run a brand new type of gaming contest.

I would now like to thank the following people:
- Hank Chien: Hank developed the scoreboard spreadsheet and did an awesome job, which made the score tracking much easier. Thanks Hank!!!
- Chris Psaros: Chris handled the registration and score submission web forms for us and did a great job (and BTW is an extremely good writer, in case anyone does not already know this  :D).
- Jeff Harrist: Jeff created the DKF and let us use it to announce the contests. Thanks Jeff!
- Corey Chambers and Scott Cunningham: Corey and Scott maintained the DK HSL. Thanks guys!
- Ethan Daniels: Ethan provided some bounties and the DKF mugs :) Thanks Ethan!
- Daniel Desjardins and Nick Sheils: Daniel and Nick also chipped in for some bounties. Thanks guys!
- Phil Tudose: Phil chipped into the world record pot. Thanks Phil!
- Richie Knucklez: For letting us be a part of the Kong Off!!! Thanks Richie!
- Robbie Lakeman: For being the DK champ and a really cool guy!!!

As the DKOO #6 will be the last tournament, we are planning on paying out more places and maybe adding a few more bounties. I wanted to announce this early enough so everyone had time to make sure they could attend. We are also going to extend the contest to 4 days, January 8-11, 2015 (Thurs-Sun). So get ready and good luck to everyone! We have not decided on the start times yet, but expect a post about the contest over the next week or so.

In closing, I wanted to also thank all of the players who participated and anyone who may have helped us out that I may have missed in the thank you list. Over the course of the contests we had many different people participate and gave away thousands of dollars in prize money. We all had a lot of fun and a lot of different players greatly improved over the course of the last 2 years, which was a real pleasure to see. Also one final congratulations to all of the contest winners. Donkey Kong will always be my favorite game of all time, that is for sure. Thank you everyone!!!

Up the Irons!!!!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:02:12 pm by tessler1134 »
Eric Tessler

DK personal best arcade: 966,000 (kill screen, 133 minutes)
DK arcade, KO 2: 900,500 (kill screen, 113 minutes)
DK arcade no hammer: 369,000
Crazy Kong arcade kill screen: 562,000
DK 3 arcade: hard: 1,111,600; easy: 1,640,000
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: DKOO #6 will be the last Donkey Kong Tournament
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 07:27:08 pm »
What about me, you didn't thanks me. Don't you love me?  BibleThump

Joke aside, I would personally like to thank you a lot for everything you've done for the Donkey Kong community. It was a lot of money and time investment. I understand your decision of wanting to move to something else, and I am very happy that you want to do one last DKOO (it will be the last one, and the last one before KO4, and the one with the biggest bounties, it's gonna be HUGELY HUGE!)

I personally never participated in any of your online tournament (because I'm a fking pussy, I acknowledge that fact  <Allen> ). But I will most likely participate in this last one, even if I hate this fking shit game. This last DKOO needs to be the biggest, with all the players, to end this DKOO journey as good as possible!

You did amazing stuff for the DK community, Eric. If I can be half the man you are, I will be a happy person! Thanks for everything.  BibleThump
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 07:36:29 pm »
as always thanks to eric, john, and everybody that helped out and participated to make these wildcard/dko events a blast every time! its sad to hear this will be the last one but i reckon itll be the best as well. i cant wait

good luck to you both on opening up those arcades! love it <YSG>
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

WCopeland

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 07:44:04 pm »
=(

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:58:29 pm »
Sad to hear this is the last one, but thankful for all the ones you guys have generously hosted.

In all honestly, I think opening up local arcades (as you guys both seem to be aiming to do) might help the CAG community out (in general) even more so than these tournaments. We here are at DKF are DK and CAG fanatics already... ultimately, we can get by playing DK on our own time -other people, however (local to where you and John live), may have yet to even hear of these great games and had a chance to play them as we here at DKF have. It almost behooves us, then, to spread the joy. So, all my encouragement on that front.  :)
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 10:11:46 pm »
I hope everybody and their momma plays in this final event.  Let's have an epic finale!

Thank you Eric and John.  You've given us all a wonderful gift.

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 12:30:39 am »
Thank you, sirs, for a great series of competitions. I've had a blast playing and watching. Good luck on your future ventures.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline tessler1134

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 01:13:45 am »
Thank you to everyone for your kind words!!!! Very much appreciated!!!

Walter will be visiting my arcade in January 2015  ;D If anyone is in the southern California area let me know and you can come and visit as well.

Oh and I almost forgot:  A special thanks to Vincent Lemay, for not playing in any of our tournaments...well except for maybe the last one  :o

PS: I may be keeping the DK world record pot going, have not decided yet....
Eric Tessler

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 03:13:16 am »
Real shame to hear this. Only played in one as I've only recently set up a decent stream but watched most of the others.

Thanks for your effort and time and good luck to you both in your future ventures

Roll on #6.....I'm in!!!!  Kreygasm
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline alumbrada

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 05:25:54 am »
RIP DKWCRQOO!

Thank you John, Eric, and everyone else who has contributed resources, monetary or otherwise.

Last chance for a mystery bounty or whatever... Game on!
DK high score: 89,100
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 06:31:59 am »
Let's have a blast all! Also keep in mind while Eric and John need to move on (I wish you all the best and if I am ever in that part of the country I will be stopping by those arcades oh ya!!!) perhaps the DKO's can still continue? I really do enjoy these and think a lot of people do. I will be reaching out to Eric and John after this event is over to see if they don't mind someone else running these tournaments in the future. (I.E. I would be happy to do this if everyone else gets behind them even if they can't have the same amount of $$$ and frequency I still think they can be fun!)

Thanks again Eric/John/all I really do enjoy these even though I have stunk in pretty much all of them!  Kreygasm
Dan
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

WCopeland

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 06:58:34 am »
PS: I may be keeping the DK world record pot going, have not decided yet....

:D

Offline Fly

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 11:06:51 am »
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline tessler1134

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 01:30:14 pm »
Just for the record Fly, Slipnot sucks  ;D

So Fly, when are you gonna starting learning some DK????

Eric Tessler

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 01:32:03 pm »
Allow me to join the others in thanking Eric, John, and everyone else who contributed to the success of these events.

My performance during the first 5 online tournaments has been underwhelming, even worse than Dan.   ;)

For DKO #6, might I suggest establishing a bounty for the most spring deaths during a 500k game?  Don't even think about claiming that one; the check already has my name on it.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer