Author Topic: Wolfmame opinons please  (Read 5751 times)

Offline zamboni93

• Awards
Wolfmame opinons please
« on: October 30, 2014, 01:10:11 pm »
New to the form but not new to mame been using the command line version for years.  Just recently switched to the newest version of wolfmame 0.155 and find the emulation of the dkong.zip to be very good no samples required and with the exception of the sound sounding a little flat runs perfect for me.  Then I tried the wolfmame 0.106 version which requires the sound samples that sound terrible the colors look off to me and found it to have a few glitches with fullscreen and other odd behavior.

The question I have is is there any difference in gameplay between the two Wolfmame versions.  I'm finding it difficult to live with the sound samples that are awful in Wolfmame 106 but if there are other reasons I'm not aware of Id like to know, I don't plan on submitting to twin galaxies because It seems like no one can at this time, my scores won't be that great but I do plan on attempting to submit a score on this forum soon.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed in the past but I'm just wondering if there is and best version of wolfmame for emulation.

Look forward to the replies.
Member for 9 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: Wolfmame opinons please
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 01:23:55 pm »
The question I have is is there any difference in gameplay between the two Wolfmame versions.

Not really. When I switched from 0.106 to the newer versions, there was something I couldn't put my finger on that bothered me. I felt like maybe there was some kind of input lag. I have no idea if it was actually there or if I imagined it, but regardless I play DK on the newest version of MAME and I haven't looked back.

I'm finding it difficult to live with the sound samples that are awful in Wolfmame 106 but if there are other reasons I'm not aware of Id like to know, I don't plan on submitting to twin galaxies because It seems like no one can at this time, my scores won't be that great but I do plan on attempting to submit a score on this forum soon.

In my opinion, the only reason to use 0.106 is that it's one of the last versions that works with Jeff Willms' "Pauline" pace program. If that doesn't interest you then there is no reason to use it. People tend to hang to 0.106 because of the GUI and ancient TG rules. Since you're already comfortable with the command-line and DKF accepts post-0.106 WolfMAME (and RetroUprising's Score Mode version of MAME 0.135) there is no reason use 0.106.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing your scores and submissions!
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline zamboni93

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 02:21:40 pm »
Thank for the reply, think I'll stick with the latest Wolfmame versions then.  Second question, do you need to have the same version of Wolfmame as the .inp file you're attemping to playback?  If so I can see this being a problem if I'm always updating to the latest version and want to keep some .inp files around I couldnt play them back and would need to keep lots of versions around.

Was able to playback someone's .inp 0.153 file with my 0.155 version so I guess it works?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:38:43 pm by zamboni93 »

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 02:57:17 pm »
Thank for the reply, think I'll stick with the latest Wolfmame versions then.  Second question, do you need to have the same version of Wolfmame as the .inp file you're attemping to playback?  If so I can see this being a problem if I'm always updating to the latest version and want to keep some .inp files around I couldnt play them back and would need to keep lots of versions around.

Was able to playback someone's .inp 0.153 file with my 0.155 version so I guess it works?

It's hit-and-miss. I don't think playback across separate versions is technically supported or even a goal of the MAME Dev team, so any time it works it's just pure luck.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 03:38:40 pm »

It's hit-and-miss. I don't think playback across separate versions is technically supported or even a goal of the MAME Dev team, so any time it works it's just pure luck.
What Jeremy said.  Playback across versions isn't supported or a goal of MAMEDev.  They don't go out of their way to break it though, so you can often get playback to work in "close" versions, so I'll frequently try it if I haven't installed the other version yet.  Occasionally there are major changes to MAME that mean all games will have playback broken between versions.  Other times there might be a change to a specific game driver and playback only breaks between versions on particular games.

If you want to be able to watch recordings of a lot of different games in a lot of different versions you have to suck it up and keep copies of a lot of versions and also different romsets, or be able to find older romsets when needed.  Fortunately the dkong romset hasn't changed in at least 10 years, so if you just care about DK, romset changes aren't a problem. Finding old versions of MAME usually isn't that hard, but finding old romsets can be harder.   But if you're persistent you can get almost all replays to playback (if they ever worked), even stuff that's from 15+ years ago.

-George
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:53:04 pm by gstrain »
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline zamboni93

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 03:51:08 pm »
Good info thanks.

Is the current Wolfmame-0155 dkong.zip rom and same rom as the Wolfmame-0106 dkong.zip rom.  My gut tells me the rom is the same only difference is the need for samples with .106

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 04:00:10 pm »
Finding old versions of MAME usually isn't that hard
Archive of MAME installers:
http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui

Is the current Wolfmame-0155 dkong.zip rom and same rom as the Wolfmame-0106 dkong.zip rom.  My gut tells me the rom is the same only difference is the need for samples with .106
Correct.
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 10:37:09 am »
Finding old versions of MAME usually isn't that hard
Archive of MAME installers:
http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui
Also, you can find old versions of WolfMAME and AlphaMAME (aka tgmame) at http://wolfmame.marpirc.net/

In general you can playback vanilla MAME replays (e.g. Non-WolfMAME) with the same version number of WolfMAME, but not vice versa.

For very old DOS MAME recordings you can usually (but not always) get them to play back with the same version number of MAME32.

Most of this isn't really relevant to watching DK recordings, but may be useful if you're watching replays of other games.

-George
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline zamboni93

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 12:06:50 pm »
Also wondering which mame version colors people fine to be more accurate to the original, I assume the latest versions would be better? Haven't seen a original cab since I've become interested to check for myself