Author Topic: DK hacking projects  (Read 8067 times)

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: DK hacking projects
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 01:51:42 pm »
Is it a great game? No. Is it a bad game? Absolutely not. Is it better than DK? No. Is it better than DKJr? Probably.

I see no need to suffer this abuse. I am out of here.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 02:12:03 pm »
Is it a great game? No. Is it a bad game? Absolutely not. Is it better than DK? No. Is it better than DKJr? Probably.

I see no need to suffer this abuse. I am out of here.

wht da make don't go i'm still here

And I'll have you know I plan to get 1 million on Jr someday. Someday.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 02:47:10 pm »
Quote from: furrykef
While I think anyone designing DK levels today should certainly consider point pressing opportunities, they're hardly a mark of the overall quality of the level.

I'm not really sure I agree with this. I think the quality of a board's design can be seen in the flexibility of its skill ceiling. This is why the barrel board is such a well-designed board:
  • Within 1 second of seeing the board you instantly know the objective is to reach the top.
  • Novices can cruise through the board and earn their ~9k without even knowing what point pressing is.
  • More advanced players can squeeze out points by using point pressing technique #1 (bottom hammer).
  • Even more advanced players can squeeze out points by using point pressing technique #2 (top grouping).
While the board does not explicitly appear to be designed for point pressing purposes, because it flexibly offers those techniques is what makes it well designed. If a board, level, or game does not have an astronomical skill ceiling, it quickly becomes stale and uninteresting after the initial novelty has worn off.

Offline furrykef

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 04:17:11 pm »
I don't know, I still found the barrel stage plenty of fun long before I knew it was possible to manipulate barrels or anything like that. For a player of your caliber, sure, you need an absurdly high skill ceiling -- but how many such players exist?
I might never make it to a kill screen, but I found Donkey Kong's hidden music!
Member for 9 Years

WCopeland

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 06:22:24 pm »
I don't know, I still found the barrel stage plenty of fun long before I knew it was possible to manipulate barrels or anything like that. For a player of your caliber, sure, you need an absurdly high skill ceiling -- but how many such players exist?
I think the number of players whom exist is irrelevant -- it could still be Billy vs Steve. The idea is a Steve barrel board is very different from a John Doe barrel board. If the board itself is stale there is no way to differentiate the skill of the players.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 11:50:18 pm »
My vote is for a barrel board with like 2 more broken ladders connecting each pair of girders. No place to hide. Lovit?
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer