Author Topic: Donkey Kong Online Open #5 for 2014  (Read 24727 times)

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Online Open #5 for 2014
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 07:34:39 am »
All I have to say:

Glen >>>(>.∞)>>> JCB
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:36:26 am by Barra »
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 07:43:49 am »
This is exactly why I thought there should be a separate thread for the Glen Updike issue.  This thread is now filled with a bunch of garbage, and has almost nothing to do with the original post.  So please separate this into two different threads.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:53:28 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 07:56:52 am »
 <Pigger>  ROFL

George, in all fairness, relax.  https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=954.0 Here is the "tourney announcement thread" from the DKOO4, notice how many replies it got.  I don't really think we are hiding, construing or detracting from anything here.  This page is basically serving as an announcement/clarification of questions/concerns or issues thread.  To that effect, the above "situation" is relevant to this thread.  There will be at least 2 more threads regarding DKOO5. 

The linear nature of threads allows one to correct a "derailment" with a single post in line with "correct usage",  I wouldn't get too caught up about ~1 page of fun.    <Tim>
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:06:33 am by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 08:03:30 am »
Stream Setup
- All contestants are required to stream their games on twitch.tv or Justin.tv. (NO EXCEPTIONS FOR ANY REASON).

Perhaps Justin.tv can be removed from the official rules, since it is no longer in service.

Replace with hitbox? I haven't streamed in a while. Plan to get back at it soon (in the mist of another shitty playing phase). I'm guessing hitbox is still an acceptable streaming platform unless I'm missing something.
Member for 9 Years Blogger

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 08:48:32 am »
please separate this into two different threads.

This page is basically serving as an announcement/clarification of questions/concerns or issues thread.  To that effect, the above "situation" is relevant to this thread. 

<Sanders> -- Council Riley, you have been overruled by Judge Daniels.  Defense, you may call your next witness....
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 11:52:33 am »
The linear nature of threads allows one to correct a "derailment" with a single post

"Don't kid yourself, Jimmy.  If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about."

Troy McClure Compilation

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline tessler1134

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 12:23:10 pm »
In response to the public posts and private messages regarding the ban of Mr. Glen Updike from the Donkey Kong Online Opens, the following provides clarification and further support as to our decision to exclude specific individual participation. While it is disheartening for us to partake in any such exclusion of individual gamers, we strive to continue funding and scheduling such events with the utmost integrity and mutual respect for all, with the goal of further advancing the integrity, growth and respect of the gaming community.

We appreciate and value the great lengths individuals take to further our community, their gaming skills and the hopeful advancement, maturity and strength of the community. In accordance, our decision to exclude Mr. Updike from participation is not a result of his difference of opinion; we value the diversity of opinions in our community, and continue to support and encourage the positive and respectful expression of options.  However, when individuals take part in inappropriate player harassment or misconduct, both privately and publically, be it name-calling, personal attacks of any form or disrespectful behavior to individuals or the community as a whole, we have no choice but to exclude and distance this form of unwarranted, immature, and inappropriate behavior from the competitions.

This is not a decision we take lightly, and it pains us to do so, but our concern for the growth and respect of the gaming community is a paramount obligation we feel must be upheld. We will not participate in a public debate or further ridicule regarding our decision; our commitment to the integrity and future growth of the gaming community must be weighted against the threats and discord certain individuals hold.

Best of luck to all participants in the upcoming tournament!

Eric Tessler and John Salter
Eric Tessler

DK personal best arcade: 966,000 (kill screen, 133 minutes)
DK arcade, KO 2: 900,500 (kill screen, 113 minutes)
DK arcade no hammer: 369,000
Crazy Kong arcade kill screen: 562,000
DK 3 arcade: hard: 1,111,600; easy: 1,640,000
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 12:36:43 pm »
Can we cut it out with this passive aggressive, vaguebookery bullshit? Nobody ever says what they really feel or why they make certain decisions. Ditch the word salad and explain specifically what Glen did to get banned and what JCB did to get unbanned...and how having JCB allowed back in the DKO is indicative of your "commitment to the integrity and future growth of the gaming community." JCB is an admitted cheater (IGBY 2014) and impersonated a woman using his wife's name and a voice modulator in order to participate in DKO#4.

You don't have to engage in a public debate regarding your own tournaments, which I have enjoyed immensely, but this kind of response takes care of the "further ridicule" all by itself.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 12:41:14 pm »
I think thats a fair response, and if you have your reasons then we have to accept that.

However, I'd like to point out the fact that JCB personally attacked/harassed me in the last DKO by accusing me of cheating. (Not to mention all the other crap he pulled off)
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Ninglendo

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 12:49:32 pm »
My question wasn't meant for John to take personally which he did. I wasn't the one name calling or making personal attacks. Even after he ripped into me on his stream after I was unbanned I still came back and told him I thought he was a good guy. Then I was banned again and sat there watching John make personal attacks without being able to defend myself. To me that seems more like "harassment"
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline Ninglendo

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 02:10:06 pm »
http://www.twitch.tv/ninglendo/c/5259596 Since the original video link I posted got deleted here it is again.
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline fruitygayspaghetti

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 04:57:27 pm »
I don't see the misconduct on Glen's part.  I don't see anything wrong with questioning potential leeching issues during the marathon (as well as if the score was going to be submitted to TG.)  After spending plenty of time with AA, John should be adequately prepared to defend his gameplay. 

John lumping Glen into "that group of d-bags," calling him negative, accusing him of trying to shake off his affiliation with Rudy via hanging out with DK players, "a propagator of negativity in the scene," etc in the video Glen posted is childish.  The two of you having a conversation could solve this dramatic nonsense.

Furthermore, banning Glen over this incident is an utterly petulant way to handle it.  But it falls under the "any reason" clause.  So be it.

John's feelings got hurt so he's bullying Glen out of the competition while forgiving a cheater who's maniacally (and impressively) pissed off every person he's had contact with in the gaming community.  A perfect example of the integrity that you wish to promote.   FailFish
former Super Glob (Pac-Man hardware) (German bootleg) MAME wr holder

Black Widow (MAME) - 472,650
EA - 80,800
Member for 10 Years Blogger

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 10:36:28 am »
Meanwhile, in Canada:

"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline tessler1134

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 11:49:17 am »
I am happy to report that we have worked things out with Glen Updike and both him and John Salter are both unbanned and may participate in the DK contests. John Salter will make a post later on tonight explaining the details. Good luck to everyone in the upcoming tournament!
Eric Tessler

DK personal best arcade: 966,000 (kill screen, 133 minutes)
DK arcade, KO 2: 900,500 (kill screen, 113 minutes)
DK arcade no hammer: 369,000
Crazy Kong arcade kill screen: 562,000
DK 3 arcade: hard: 1,111,600; easy: 1,640,000
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 12:01:27 pm »
Awesome pic, Jeremy!  ROFL