Author Topic: What do we need to do to get more women playing DK?  (Read 8373 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
What do we need to do to get more women playing DK?
« on: October 02, 2014, 08:22:38 am »
OK, let's be honest, Donkey Kong playing is the biggest sausage fest of all time.  I mean, you could find more women at the Golden Banana night club, than you find playing Donkey Kong.  There are more women involved in the Men's Rights Association, than you find playing Donkey Kong.
We have failed miserably to get members of the opposite sex to want to play this.
Who knows maybe it has to do with Mario being an unattractive character.  He's a short, fat, plumber with an ugly big nose.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:30:44 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: What do we need to do to get more women playing DK?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 09:33:10 am »
My wife has gotten over 1m on Zoo Keeper and is about halfway to a Bubble Bobble arcade max out IIRC.  I don't know why she enjoys those games particularly and not DK but it's obvious that she can excel on classic arcade games if she wants to.  I assume that is the case with a lot of people regardless of gender.  I'm 100% positive she wouldn't have been playing these games if I wasn't involved in the hobby so part of your answer might be general exposure.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

hchien

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 09:36:22 am »
I don't think DK appeals to most women.  Just as Candy Crush doesn't appeal to most men.

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 01:23:51 pm »
I don't think DK appeals to most women.  Just as Candy Crush doesn't appeal to most men.

Exactly, and I don't think CAG in general appeals to most women. That's mainly why I don't understand/agree with that doc NPITC, the door has always been open and welcome, but no interest.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 01:41:05 pm »
During the few times I make it out to arcades anymore, I see a fair share of women enjoying themselves playing DK, Frogger, Centipede, Ms. Pac, etc. Now if you are talking competitively, yeah that's a different story it seems.

Having said that, I have witnessed a few women get really serious about Tetris.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 02:31:29 pm »

Having said that, I have witnessed a few women get really serious about Tetris.

haha yep, we've been having a month long NES tourney at work. Different game every week type thing. First week was Excitebike and the 2nd week was Gauntlet...won both of those weeks. Last week was Tetris. I don't really like Tetris...pretty boring. Of course it had the highest player turnout compared to the previous 2 weeks. Tons of chicks coming out of the woodworks to play. I played 2-3 games along the way, put up a "middle of the pack" score. One of my co-workers was giving me shit for not winning and "completing the sweep". My response was "fuck Tetris...it's a girls game"  Kappa
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 03:09:22 pm »
Maybe we need an all-female DKOpen?  Or maybe some would consider that sexist segregation?

Oh, and we need Vincent to keep his shirt on.

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 04:39:21 pm »
ill quote my other half here " Dk yeah I tried that, fukn hate that game"

mind you she loves mspac
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 12:25:35 am »
ill quote my other half here " Dk yeah I tried that, fukn hate that game"

mind you she loves mspac

Ha! Same here, my ex tried DK but soon realised it was too difficult and quickly walked back over to Ms Pac!
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 04:09:16 am »
I think it's time for a woman to crack the top 100. I don't like this theme that the game is too difficult for women to play.  Statistically when something is 100 out of 100 it could be considered empirical evidence.  So I am waiting for the day when a woman will prove the statistical evidence wrong, and gets a decent score in the game.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 04:11:02 am by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Fly

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 10:02:57 am »
My wife has gotten over 1m on Zoo Keeper and is about halfway to a Bubble Bobble arcade max out IIRC.

Those are two of my wifes favorites. Others would be Centipede and Willow followed by many versions of Tetris.

I cant answer Georges original question, but I can add that my wife calls DK...........Monkey Dong! <gasp>

And she wonders why ANYONE would even like that game. She honestly thinks most of the games we play we don't even like. It's all just a "my cock is much bigger than yours" contest. A pissing contest, ya know.

Hec
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 10:51:39 am »

My wife

I cant answer Georges original question, but I can add that my wife calls DK...........Monkey Dong! <gasp>

And she wonders why ANYONE would even like that game. She honestly thinks most of the games we play we don't even like. It's all just a "my cock is much bigger than yours" contest. A pissing contest, ya know.

Hec
I see that perception, but if you look at the top scorers they don't come off as boastful.
Take a look at the names.
Dean Saglio-no
Robbie Lakeman-no
Hank Chien-heck no!
Mark Kiehl-no
Ross Benzinger-Gets hot headed, but for the most part no
Vincent Lemay-yes, but it's mostly in jest.
In fact you would have to go down all the way to Billy Mitchell before you get the type of person your wife is talking about.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 12:46:07 pm »
What do we need to do?

I think a better question is, why do we need more female DK players?. It certainly doesn't bother me that the DKF m:f ratio is 39:1. Competitive gaming in general is male-dominated, we can't expect it to be any different here. Much the same as competitive knitting being a female dominated hobby.

I definitely disagree with Hank - candy crush is pretty awesome Kappa
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Submit a score for every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 02:20:03 pm »
I see that perception, but if you look at the top scorers they don't come off as boastful.
Take a look at the names.
Dean Saglio-no
Robbie Lakeman-no
Hank Chien-heck no!
Mark Kiehl-no
Ross Benzinger-Gets hot headed, but for the most part no
Vincent Lemay-yes, but it's mostly in jest.
In fact you would have to go down all the way to Billy Mitchell before you get the type of person your wife is talking about.

Yeah, when I say I hate Donkey Kong, I'm obviously messing around. I do love the game, I really enjoy playing it for fun (like playing 1-1, stage 5 with savestates, etc). But when you try to get the record on a game, it's normal to have a love/hate feeling about the game (like everything you try to do your best at).

Before, I wished there would be more girls playing Donkey Kong, because I wanted to get laid. But now, I already have a girlfriend, so I don't care if there's not any female  Kappa

1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Svavar

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 05:48:35 am »
I think a better question is, why do we need more female DK players?. It certainly doesn't bother me that the DKF m:f ratio is 39:1. Competitive gaming in general is male-dominated, we can't expect it to be any different here. Much the same as competitive knitting being a female dominated hobby.

Couldn't agree more. I don't see it as a problem that women are not really active in playing Donkey Kong. If some come along, then cool... if not, alright.
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer