Author Topic: Time to acknowledge the elephant in the DK room.  (Read 5925 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Time to acknowledge the elephant in the DK room.
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:31:03 pm »
Mario is a P.T. Barnum sideshow freak!  Don't believe me?  Check out Mario's nose.  It's almost twice the size of his hands, and a little larger than his feet.  So right now go and take off your shoe.  Put that shoe by the side of your nose.  Now look in the mirror.  Could you imagine a real life person with a nose that big?  Of course not!  If he did he would be hidden behind a curtain with the circus handlers charging $5 just to see the rhino nosed human!  So there I said it.  Mario is a freak of nature.  Someone had to finally speak up about it, and someone is me!
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Time to acknowledge the elephant in the DK room.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:48:54 pm »
I've noticed this before and even commented on it in my streams. It's rather quit disturbing. Kinda like his glitchy sideburns.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

lakeman421

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:36:17 pm »
Theres actually a Youtube video that explains the reason behind this when they designed the character.  I can try to find it but I saw it a couple years back when I first started playing.

Adam_Wilmot

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 03:08:12 am »
Theres actually a Youtube video that explains the reason behind this when they designed the character.  I can try to find it but I saw it a couple years back when I first started playing.

From the DYK gaming series maybe, im not 100% sure but they normally cover that kind of thing in their videos

hchien

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:59:21 am »
My guess is Mario was drawn by a Japanese animator.  Asian noses tend to be smaller and flatter than Italian/Western noses.  (My own nose is not a great example.)  So by comparison a side show rhino nose seems about right.

You know what they say about guys with big noses... big boogers.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 04:42:13 am »
I thought the character was a caricature of the landlord for the space at NoA that was going to go under prior to DK. 
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 06:40:39 am »
You think Mario is a freak but dont care to point out that pauline is like 8 feet tall compared to him :)

I don't mind taller woman but dayum!!1 (Hell i dated our Woman's Basketball Team center in high school. She was like 6'6" in heels and I was 5'8" at the time. Dances were awesome!)
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 07:05:17 am »
This made me see if I could find some original developement stuff for DK, actually there is some stuff out there, and I thought I came across everything DK, never seen these before.

Original DK sketches by Shigeru Miyamoto

http://arcadesushi.com/in-the-making-donkey-kong/
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer