Author Topic: VonBlogenstein  (Read 111188 times)

hchien

Re: VonBlogenstein
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2014, 09:08:13 am »
I'm the same way.  I didn't really leave CAGDC.  My primary interest in CAG is DK related and people on CAGDC were complaining that there was too much DK talk.  Now there's no DK talk and people are complaining that everyone's going to DKF.

Also it was incredibly hard do anything over there.  My "Official Unofficial list" was over there.  I was able to self-edit the list for a while and everything was great... then the forums were changed to no edits on posts > 24 hours.  OK, so Mark said to just message a mod whenever you want to change the list, but then the list became a mess.  Then they made me a fake mod just for the list.  That worked for a while and then they un-modded me (trust issues?).

Then I forgot my password because I kept having to change it due to the countless times that site has been hacked.  And to make matters worse I couldn't get back in, because the "forgot password" link was taken down.  So I could either call Mark, or just not post.  I still occasionally lurk over there.  It's a shame-- it was once a great place.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:09:59 am by hchien »

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2014, 09:49:38 am »
In fact, there has been some talk recently about opening up a general CAG section of the forums, though this is entirely up to JCHarrist (the site admin), and I know he doesn't want a million bajillion subforums ala CAGDC

Just make one Non-DK subforum for all other CAG discussion that isn't DK-related.  I'd be hanging out there the most.

I'm the same way.  I didn't really leave CAGDC.  My primary interest in CAG is DK related and people on CAGDC were complaining that there was too much DK talk.  Now there's no DK talk and people are complaining that everyone's going to DKF.

I kinda tuned out of the usual forums for us "high score" types when the discussion began (IMO) to skew way too heavily toward DK at the expense of the several hundred other great games from the era.  And this was starting to bug me long before DKF came into existence.  It was my hope that after the first Kong Off people would get DK out of their system and we could get some balance back.  Well, I was definitely wrong about that.

In fact, it actually annoyed me that a DK-specific forum got created while so many in the hobby ignored all of the other classics, and I kinda ignored this place for the longest time because of that.  I also became a truck driver about a year ago, and while I do regional heavy haul and get home far more frequently than a typical long hauler ever does I still have way less personal time than I used to.  Getting any free time for CAG is tough, so when I do get free time I don't want it to be all-DK-all-the-time.

Then one day I noticed that most of my friends in the CAG scene hadn't actually disappeared; they'd just migrated elsewhere, many of them here.  Ross' blog post about CAGDC was what finally got me to register so I could acknowledge that someone else was finally voicing what I've been telling others for years now.  Now I'd just rather forget about that place and get on with it.

So... I understand not wanting dozens of subforums on DKF and I'd be in favor of a Non-DK subforum for all other CAG discussion that isn't DK-related.  Or, maybe the answer is for me to just create my own blog and talk about whatever I want there.  Maybe I'll do that when I can get the time to get it started.  I play lots of games that are not DK-related and I also collect, with a home arcade that's bursting at the seams with 29 uprights.  I'd like to share photos of my game room and random other stuff too, but I'm not gonna want to talk about the DK games much.
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2014, 10:18:25 am »
I will say that the DK talk wasn't a turn off for me on CAGDC but the BA/DKJr/DK3 spew was too much for me.  I can only read so many threads about the same thing.  I ended up coming over here mainly because of the people.  It ended up getting me playing DK and now I really like the game.  I still like to play a bunch of games and appreciate that there is now a sub section for non-DK games.  It will not change the fact that I'm currently playing DK and will continue playing it until I crush Ken's score. :)  <thefinger>

More than anything what I really like is the shoutbox.  I don't say a tonne in there but it's just nice to shoot the shit on a daily basis about everything and nothing.  In the end that socializing is more fun than figuring out if 30M jumps in ZK have any luck involved.
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2014, 12:30:51 am »
This will never happen again... http://www.twitch.tv/dwwnp/c/3790043

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2014, 01:04:13 am »
lol wow! love it
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2014, 03:16:41 am »
Good lord! Buahahaha! That was saaaaweeet!
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2014, 04:23:38 am »
Holy sheit, that was awesome! Fking hell, lovit!  Kreygasm  <Allen>
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Online Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2014, 04:51:29 am »
 Kreygasm
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2014, 04:54:31 am »
The randomness went against the way it usually does  <Kuh>
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2014, 09:47:48 am »
 <Tim> - Juiced Roms there buddy.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2014, 01:50:16 pm »
I was watching that live, but somehow it's actually MORE impressive on replay.  Kreygasm

The great thing about no hammer is that super-entertaining stuff like that happens more often, because it has to! YOLO city.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2014, 10:36:45 am »

Wizardry!

That's one of the differences between you and me, Ross.  You deftly mingle with a swarm of fire beings, while I plummet through an open rivet hole with no other enemy within 1/4 mile.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2014, 01:36:33 am »

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2014, 05:26:36 am »
You tell me: http://www.twitch.tv/dwwnp/c/3883324

Agreed.  That situation was neither fair nor acceptable.

What would I have done?

No idea.  For this explorer, Level 17 in a DK No-Hammer run is uncharted territory.   :o

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2014, 06:25:29 am »
You tell me: http://www.twitch.tv/dwwnp/c/3883324

Wow, I really haven't been studying NH but Ive been hearing about "luck" being needed to do a killscreen. I guess I can buy that based on this video.

As for what you could have done there, you actually did it, just didn't get that last jump off in time. If you cleared that fireball without it turning under you, I believe you would have cleared that board, and that would have been an awesome highlight.

I was more impressed that the video started with you at 600K on your second man. Killscreen has to come soon.

Other than rumors of the past, do you believe there has been a NH killscreen before or not?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:27:08 am by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer