Author Topic: Man for man Donkey Kong 3 is the hardest of the 3 Kongs  (Read 14587 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Man for man Donkey Kong 3 is the hardest of the 3 Kongs
« on: February 11, 2013, 03:59:30 am »
OK, decided to bring another topic to Donkey Kong 3 since it is not getting much love compared to the other Kongs.

Well if you think about it the title of this thread is completely true.   Donkey Kong gives you 4 men.   Donkey Kong Junior gives you 4 men.   Then you have Donkey Kong 3 that will eventually give you a total of 37 men.   If you even average 5 minutes a man with Donkey Kong 3 on Twin Galaxies settings you'll have the second greatest Donkey Kong 3 game of all time.  If you average 5 minutes a man on Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Junior for a game it won't even get you the label of a good Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Junior player.

I mean in order to kill screen Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Junior you need to average 30 minutes a man, and look how many people have kill screened both games.

In my mind this is not even close.  Man for man Donkey Kong 3 is by far the hardest of the 3 Kongs, it just doesn't get seen that way because it gives you a boat load of men the first hour.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: Man for man Donkey Kong 3 is the hardest of the 3 Kongs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 05:02:28 am »
It's entirely possible that some of the great current shooter players (ie: George Strain, Martin Bedard, et al), haven't really given the game much play.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 05:50:40 am »
It's entirely possible that some of the great current shooter players (ie: George Strain, Martin Bedard, et al), haven't really given the game much play.

And it's entirely possible that some of the great video game players in general (ie: Todd Rogers, Tom Votava, et al), haven't really given Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Junior much play.

Yes, I get it, you got 1 million on easy settings of Donkey Kong 3 in 3 tries.  Well lets break that down man for man.  You were given 37 men in which you died in less than one hour with those 37 men.   Meaning you probably average about 1 minute and 30 seconds for every man on your third try on EASY settings.   

Now imagine bragging about lasting a whole 6 minutes on your 3rd Donkey Kong attempt (1 minute and 30 seconds per man).   Many would say big whoop-tie do, many people have gotten to the 6 minute mark on their 3rd try.

Notice how I didn't say overall Donkey Kong 3 is the hardest game.  To be honest the 37 men Donkey Kong 3 gives you, changes the game up too much.  It's sort of like saying dollar for dollar the Pittsburgh Pirates are the best team in MLB today.   No the Pirates are not the best team, but dollar for dollar you can make a good argument for that being the case.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:22:46 am by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:35:48 am »
I broke 1m on DK3 on TG settings at Funspot in a 2p game against Fred Ochs with PSP and Eric Akeson watching, while drunk out of my mind after hitting the pub for hours and while attempting to sit on of their weird chair/stool things that aren't high enough.  Where does that rank?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:26:51 am »
I broke 1m on DK3 on TG settings at Funspot in a 2p game against Fred Ochs with PSP and Eric Akeson watching, while drunk out of my mind after hitting the pub for hours and while attempting to sit on of their weird chair/stool things that aren't high enough.  Where does that rank?

Yes, big deal.  You did it with the game feeding you an extra man every 30,000.  Yes, you probably could do much better than a minute and a half per man totally wasted on Donkey Kong.  You don't seem to understand the concept of 37 men.  That's 9.25 times as many men as Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Junior.   Yes, I agree, getting a million on Donkey Kong 3 is not a very big deal.  Even on Twin Galaxies settings.  I don't see why you are bragging about that.

Let me do the math for you Steve.  You have gone at least an hour and a half on Donkey Kong on 4 men.  You have gone at least 2 and a half hours on Donkey Kong Junior.

That's at least 22 minutes a man on Donkey Kong you have done.
That's at least 37 minutes a man on Donkey Kong Junior you have done.

Do you understand how long you would have to play Donkey Kong 3 on Twin Galaxies settings in order to match what you have done on Donkey Kong?  You would have to play the game for 13 and a half hours Steve!  Steve that means you would have to get a score of 17 million on Donkey Kong 3!

For Donkey Kong Junior it's even worse you would have to play Donkey Kong Junior over 22 and a half hours!  You would have to get a score of 29 million on Donkey Kong 3 to do that.

In fact think about this over 40 people have kill screened Donkey Kong.   That means they had games where they lasted 30 minutes a man.  That means that to equal that amount of time in Donkey Kong 3 these 40 people would have to be able to play the game 18 and a half hours.  Meaning all 40 would have to get a score of 24 million on Donkey Kong 3 Twin Galaxies settings.

I don't see that happening.  The numbers don't lie.  Just use your head instead of giving us anecdotal evidence about how you were really drunk, and had a game that lasted less than an hour on 37 men.

Also one more thing. Dwayne Richard is no weakling in the video game world.  He has won a few all around tournaments over the years, and he didn't just easily get his score.  Again in regards to time man for man Donkey Kong 3 is the hardest game by far.  It's no contest.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:44:51 am »
I think it was on a Friday, it was pretty cool out maybe 40 degrees or so, also 'Working for the Weekend' was playing during some of the game.  Mostly on Fred's turn though. 

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 11:57:31 am »
I think it was on a Friday, it was pretty cool out maybe 40 degrees or so, also 'Working for the Weekend' was playing during some of the game.  Mostly on Fred's turn though.

Yep I win!  Ne, ner, ne, ner, boo, boo! 8)

Edit: And as we all know winning on the Internets is like winning in the Special Olympics because in both scenarios you are a champion!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:01:00 pm by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 12:17:05 pm »
Harder than other DK game is relative. It all depends what you do with your men. If you decide to play very risky/accurately like Dean on a 3 hour game, it obviously changes the odds by a lot.

But I understand your concept, George.
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 12:30:51 pm »
Harder than other DK game is relative. It all depends what you do with your men. If you decide to play very risky/accurately like Dean on a 3 hour game, it obviously changes the odds by a lot.

But I understand your concept, George.
Yeah, now that is a different story.  If you are talking about which is the harder record to get, I would still go with Dean's Donkey Kong record as the hardest of the 3.  Yeah, I think I have spent more time on Donkey Kong Junior as well, and so for me getting 1.3 million on Donkey Kong Junior was harder than what I got on DK3.   Then again, DK3 is my favorite game, and that probably helps a little to get a better score.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 03:30:35 pm »
Then again, DK3 is my favorite game.

:o
 ;D

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 05:48:33 pm »
Realize that the metric needed to calculate this would not simply be 'points per man'. It would maybe be more accurately (though impractically so) gauged by 'points per man while-having-spent-the-same-amount-of-time-practicing-each-game'. What I'm getting at is the fact that, when I first played DK, it took me 30 minutes to start to consistently beat the first screen (a mere 3-4k of points back then -and sometimes not on my first life!) while on my very first game of DK3 I'm sure I got way more points than that on my first man.

I realize that the ramping up of the difficulty changes, so that throws things off a bit, as well as the fact that on DK there is the possibility of making the game significantly harder by pressing, but in general this would be a more reliable metric. I wonder what the average scores of players would be on each game (but if DK3 had a 4-man track) if they had spent equal amounts of time playing each.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 06:01:00 pm by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 06:23:22 pm »
Here we go again! :o

I beg to Diff on this one!

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 06:45:26 pm »
Do you have a better suggestion for a metric? I'm all ears.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 06:47:38 pm »
TY for starting this up again.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 07:54:01 pm »
Realize that the metric needed to calculate this would not simply be 'points per man'.

I am not going to argue with you if you can't even figure out I was talking about "Minutes per man".

Edit:  I actually am the only person on these boards who has actually taken all 3 games seriously.  So until someone actually takes Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Junior, and Donkey Kong 3 seriously there really is no point in continuing this debate.

Double Edit:  What I mean by that is playing each game at least 1,000 times a piece.  I am the only person that I know of that has done that.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 08:23:50 pm by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard