Author Topic: DK High Score List discussion  (Read 3462 times)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
DK High Score List discussion
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:35:23 pm »
Alright, I admit, I'm mulling this over...

I would like to propose something: maybe those of us who are inclined can do the HSL in 3-month shifts? And at the end of our shift, we can decide to "renew", or not, if we're still into it?

Even better is if we could set the system up somehow so that multiple people could edit it? Is it possible with this forum software to create threads/posts with multi-user privileges?
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: DK High Score List discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 08:06:59 pm »
Why don't we just let scores be community verified. 

When someone sets a score they want list-verified they can just post a link in some type of submissions thread where any member can sign off on it.  Maybe we need a policy where at least two different members have to view the game and give it the thumbs up, or something.....

I haven't really thought this through, but it seems like a good way to spread the workload.

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 08:11:53 pm »
Alright, I admit, I'm mulling this over...

I would like to propose something: maybe those of us who are inclined can do the HSL in 3-month shifts? And at the end of our shift, we can decide to "renew", or not, if we're still into it?

Maybe give a badge to the folks that maintain it to encourage people to take turns.  Or we can take donations and fund shirts that say "I maintained the Donkey Kong Forum High Score List and all I got was this crummy T-shirt."
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 08:17:44 pm »
We could always just charge $20 per submission! That would work!  ::)
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:37:05 pm »
I'd be happy to take on the task of updating the list. I've pretty much finished my spreadsheet so I just have to add the dk list in and it'll work. It'll only be 5 min work to update the list.
The part I do not wish to do is the verifying. This is a large task and I don't want to have all my spare time to be spent watching other people play,
I was going I propose this idea to the crazy list when it's of the ground but ill say it here now.
This is along the idea that Ross proposed, I was going to suggest that scores be verified by the other players but it would need the ok from 3 members to be added to the list. If there was desputes we could restream the game at a time the community could all watch an people could talk about the things as they arise in the stream.
That's my 2 cents anyways
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 08:55:03 pm »
I'm gonna propose something radical: have the list work like MARP works.

That is, if somebody submits a score, just put it up (so long as their video and/or inp is available), and stick an asterisk next to it if it's unverified.

Seeing as how nobody has ever been so much as suspected to be cheating (much less found out) I'm in favor of taking verification in a more relaxed direction.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 08:58:46 pm »
Why don't we just let scores be community verified. 

When someone sets a score they want list-verified they can just post a link in some type of submissions thread where any member can sign off on it.  Maybe we need a policy where at least two different members have to view the game and give it the thumbs up, or something.....

I haven't really thought this through, but it seems like a good way to spread the workload.

The problems I see with this is that when someone new submits a 200K score , waiting for 2 random people to verify it could take forever and it could potentially fall through the cracks. Another issue is that you could end up with relatively inexperienced players giving the thumbs up to games and it gets "verified" without proper scrutiny.

I am leaning towards having multiple HSL mods at this point to ease the workload and the responsibility, but I'm also open to ideas and would like to promote further discussion.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 09:03:28 pm »
I'm gonna propose something radical: have the list work like MARP works.

I actually like this idea. I think it comes down to agreeing on a group of trusted "verifiers" tasked with actually watching the games and one or several moderators tasked with actually updating the list. The mods would also be verifiers. Maybe 2-3 of each. I think community input is crucial in hashing out what kinds of things are acceptable for a game to be verified, but there needs to be a designated person or group that applies those standards. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with just any person, especially a new player, being able to say "yes! verified!" to any game.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 09:19:00 pm »
Yeah I was thinking maybe only members with a certain forum status could verify the games, but at that point why not further restrict verification privileges to the few we know will really get the job done.

I would volunteer to watch some of the games, some of the time, but you see I'm just not prepared to watch all the games, all the time.  And now that I think more about it...
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with just any person, especially a new player, being able to say "yes! verified!" to any game.[/font]
  ...I am a total noob when it comes to verifying whatever it is that is supposed to be verified on PCBs (or do we even do that here?).

This is a good discussion so far.

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 10:22:36 am »
Well, at least Jeff is keeping the top 10 table going...that'll be my post KO3 goal, to get back on there.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 11:59:27 am »
To clean things up a little , I've moved the links sections out of the DK and DK Jr. High Score Lists to their own stickied threads.

Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener