Author Topic: The Official Donkey Kong Manual Thread  (Read 76661 times)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
Re: The Official Donkey Kong Manual Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 10:56:53 am »
I didn't have time to read much of the manual, but while I thought what I saw was decent, my honest feeling was "this is not ready to be printed. There are too many things that need fixing, and too much potential for it to be better. There's also just not enough time for everybody to give feedback and for the authors to respond to/incorporate the feedback."

I didn't want to be discouraging though so I just didn't say anything.

But now I am relieved. Your decision NOT to publish it for KO3 is 100% correct.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 11:08:56 am »
Yeah, Chris. One thing that would suck is if we had tons of people order something trashy or inaccurate. That would potentially undo a lot of work that has been done over the years by the DK community as a whole.

I think we just got carried away with how far it has already come. I really need to post Vincent's original draft for all to enjoy. I may do this later this weekend!  ;D
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 01:56:57 pm »
Just so people know, I am currently very busy with school until about December 17th and after this I will be resting from stressful stuff until after Christmas, after which, I will (hopefully) be doing four, big, DK-related things during the end of December and through January:

1) I will be working on updating the DK Beginner's Manual (hopefully, Jeremy will be free at this time as well so that we can do a big overhaul on both the number of pictures as well as how the pictures and text interact with one another). So, please, keep making suggestions on the manual, as there is a whole month yet for people to give feedback! Thanks!

2) I will be working with my friend, Alex, to put up a site for the manual to be purchased in hard-copy form (hopefully with many customizable options) for when the manual is finally perfected to the DK community's satisfaction.

3) I will also be working with Alex on re-vamping the DK pace site found here: www.alexwgold.com/dk There are too many ideas we have to explain them all here, but the main things will be creating some sort of interface to set lots of options as well be able to create online profiles to store, share, organize, classify, and comment on data! Lots of work here, so this project might go well beyond the month of January with successive updates as Alex has time.

4) I will be probably putting in two weeks of serious attempts for at least 1.1m. The first few days will probably consist of getting the rust off and getting my stamina back for playing multiple games in a row.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 05:42:40 pm »
Ok, I've put this off for too long. Below I've linked two files of older versions of the DK manual from September 14-15 of 2012 wherein much of the best selections of Vince's original first draft of the manual is composed. Some of the stuff is just silly because of his use of the english language and other parts are just utter hilarity as he goes on and on creating extravagant metaphors. Enjoy!

As a note: In the later version of the manual I attached below I have gone over and edited a few paragraphs from the previous update, so you'll have to read the early form for that section to see Vince's writing. However, between edits, he had added a considerable amount to the end of the manual (I basically gave him an outline and told him to go at it... so he's made some more progress between these two "snapshots" of the developing text).

EDIT: The initial non-bold, black text is my writing/2nd edit... anything else is down by Vince.

2nd EDIT: Feel free to post your favorite selections here! ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:49:25 pm by marinomitch13 »

durden77

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 02:01:14 am »
I just wanna say, I'm very new to the true Donkey Kong gameplay, and I've been chipping away at this manual every night. Incredibly well done. Thanks so much I've been looking for something like this for a while now. Very glad I got brought to this forum.

WCopeland

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 09:26:14 am »
durden hype Kreygasm

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 12:19:55 pm »
I just wanna say, I'm very new to the true Donkey Kong gameplay, and I've been chipping away at this manual every night. Incredibly well done. Thanks so much I've been looking for something like this for a while now. Very glad I got brought to this forum.

Glad it is helping you! Feel free to provide me with any questions or typos you may have/find to help me improve upon it!

P.s. Someone here on DKF -I won't say who (but I'm sure you'll hear about it in the months to come)- is currently working on something concerning this manual I think will be pretty cool!

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 12:58:47 pm »
Just wanted to let everyone know that, thanks to Corey, we now have the DK Manual up in wiki format! The GoogleDoc is at the top of the wiki page and is still available for the posting of comments. The tentative goal now is for me to finish up putting the last touches on the manual about 6 months from now (which is when I'll be purchasing a new computer as well as some other tech supplies for a side-business I'll be starting with a friend) as well as eventually tweaking some minor stuff with the wiki (adding in references to pics).

Your comments are still very much welcome!

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 10:24:08 am »
Whew! Finally got around to cleaning up the google doc, as some of the incidental edits had gotten out of hand. Sorry for the long delay on this.

Also, I may be moving forward soon on finishing up the final touches on the manual and starting to distribute them at least locally at the Minneapolis Up Down bar and arcade (where I work as a game technician and bouncer). I'll let you know how this goes in case I can then make copies for others that want them.

Offline Rev John

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 04:35:31 pm »
This manual is ABSOLUTE GOLD, however the link - http://wiki.donkeykonggenius.com/Donkey_Kong_Basic_Manual - seems to be unavailable, for me at least.  Very glad to be able to download the PDF from the initial post and continue reading.  Cheers all and thanks!  :)
DK PB: 219,500 (MAME 7/10/19)
CK (RU): 140,200 (27/3/2018)
First person to score 500,000+ points on Atari 2600 Berzerk
Member for 6 Years

Offline zapwai

• zapwai.net
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 05:17:39 pm »
Yes, that donkeykonggenius website seems to be down... I was trying to read about Kong's different types of barrels thrown yesterday, I'm still hoping it will come back up. It doesn't seem to be in the PDF, but maybe I just missed it.

(i.e. I think there are 3 or 4 types of barrels, one that targets where you're going, one that covers half the distance to your current location on each girder, one wild, and one bomb straight down. I was hoping to confirm this and find some strategy on the barrel board.)
Member for 6 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Rev John

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 05:52:40 pm »
Round about page 47 of the PDF in the first post is the in-depth discussion of the various barrels.   :)  It looks like the PDF has all the barrel goodness that was on the webpage
DK PB: 219,500 (MAME 7/10/19)
CK (RU): 140,200 (27/3/2018)
First person to score 500,000+ points on Atari 2600 Berzerk
Member for 6 Years

Offline zapwai

• zapwai.net
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 09:54:08 pm »
Round about page 47 of the PDF in the first post is the in-depth discussion of the various barrels.   :)  It looks like the PDF has all the barrel goodness that was on the webpage

That's exactly what I was looking for - thanks Rev. John!
Member for 6 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2018, 04:24:13 pm »
Hey guys, sorry, but I've been absent from DKF for about 9 months now. I just saw these posts. I intend to remedy the lack of working links as soon as I am able to find some time.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 10:30:27 pm »
Ok, I fixed up the links and touched up the manual. Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:08:13 pm by marinomitch13 »