Author Topic: Poll: Do you want Friday scores to count at KO3?  (Read 14435 times)

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Poll: Do you want Friday scores to count at KO3?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 11:34:20 am »
I guess I was looking at things a little differently and sort of basing it on KO2. At KO2, Friday night there was all the machines, but given the event and normal crowd in the 1UP I was surprised to see no more than about 4 - 5 (maybe a few more) machines being played at one time, so it gave us time to walk around to the open ones. Feel the stiffness of the joystyick and button, then play one if it's open etc.

Now that there is a wildcard event Friday, I didn't realize all 22 machines will be open to the wildcard Friday. I figured they would be playing on the 10 wildcard machines. Also, I didn't anticipate the top 12 choosing their machine from the lot of 22, but from a lot of 12 dedicated machines. Then, once the top 12 chooses their machines, the machines are open to public or for top 12 to play one them as they wished that evening, but wildcard event would still be going on with the 10 wildcard machines. Plus, last year, I can swear the machine I picked on Friday was slightly different the next day when the tournament started, as if the panel was swapped with another machine or something.

Hmm...I guess the whole process is a little confusing to each of us differently. It's amazing the amount of detail that's left up to interpretation on this right now. But there's 6-7 weeks to clarify still.

I do know one thing, I changed my gameplay due to my own home machine to eliminate the posibility of spring back reverse while holding the hammer. It's automatic to me now and will help me greatly at KO3 because most of the joysticks did the springback reverse on me last year. I don't plan to bring my own control panel.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:39:24 am by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 01:05:13 pm »
I like that Dean is a catastrophist and an over-thinker. I am as well. :D I am always haunted by what could go wrong.

To me though, 3:30 (or 90 minutes from whenever machine selection time ends up being) seems fine for last quarter. Nobody in that particular field is going to be playing a full-out game at that time because, for the minority of Friday players even *capable* of that kind of game, doing so wouldn't make any sense (no sense that I can see at least).

Strategy for Friday is to run boards, since the only purpose of scores that day is to qualify for Saturday, and a run-board kill screen will be more than enough to do the job. It would be a waste of energy to go all out, since an "all out" score would be overkill and won't get you a spot on the tournament leaderboard.

So, if there is no hardcore shredding going on (and there shouldn't be), all machines will be clear by 5:15 or :30 at the latest (it's 1 hour 45 to 2 hours for basic kill screen, in my experience), and the majority clear before that. And not every machine has to be clear for the process to at least begin. Vincent will just point to a red one and be done with it!

There's going to be 22 machines, and 10-30 Friday players. We SHOULD be okay...

It's also important to remember that Jourdan/Richie may have specific reasons for setting the machine-selection time at 5:00 PM.

I do like the 8:00 PM suggestion though, or even 7:00. That 2-3 hour shift would make a big difference in the quality of the Friday tourney, without making a difference to the Top 12 players. (Nobody is going to bed before 8:00 right??)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:42:18 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 02:59:25 pm »
Let me rephrase that.  If the wildcard NY Giants upset the undefeated NE Patriots (ahem 2007-8) every Superbowl would you even watch?

A painful sports memory, unquestionably one of my Top Bottom 3.   :'(

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 04:11:38 pm »
I just think the longer players will have on this game the better the shot that the truly best player will win instead of someone lucking out, and getting a much better score than they are usually capable of.

While this is definitely true, I have to agree with Ross on this one.  Having played DK for 2 straight days at both KO's, I can tell you I didn't want to touch DK for months afterwards.  My back was sore and my mind grew numb.  Also I think that 'luck' factor is part of the fun for both the competitor and the spectator.  Theoretically a wildcard player could win it.  If the NE Patriots won the Superbowl every year would you even watch?

Good point Hank.  To be honest I am not super passionate about this.  The previous two Kong Offs did just fine on two days.  Would I think it would be better with 3 days?  Yes, but not to the point where I think it matters that much.  So yeah, I am a yes, but eh whatever yes. ;)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

hchien

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 05:20:03 pm »
Friday scores will not count.  Yeah!

I heard straight from the horse's mouth.

giv

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 08:41:07 am »
For this poll, please vote only if you are current top 12 or current top 8 online qualifier as these are the people who it will likely affect.  Ross gets a vote too because I know he will be top 12 before Oct 25.

It's pretty cool the way you called that, Hank!

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 03:08:17 pm »
It's pretty cool the way you called that, Hank!

Yeah, the prediction itself was a pretty safe bet, but the timeliness was positively frightening.   :o

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

konghusker

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 07:46:23 am »
I strongly vote no. Let's just enjoy Friday night and watch the wildcard battle. I'm really looking forward to a fun socialnight Friday with a relaxed atmosphere. Plus I heard drinks were on hank Friday night. Lol