Author Topic: Donkey Kong Million Point Timeline  (Read 107195 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Million Point Timeline
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 08:35:59 am »
Trivia question (I'm actually not sure of the answer):

Who had the first live 1M point game?

Didn't Steve Wiebe get 1M live on G3 about 4 years ago?  I think Billy Mitchell at some real estate brokers convention did it the first time live in front of people though.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

hchien

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 08:59:38 am »
Good question! Steve Wiebe didn't even get 1m live in KoK (got lik 985k?). Hasn't Scott Kessler gotten 1m in like 2009 or something like that at Funspot?

Don't tell me Hank you're the one that got 1m+ live the first at Funspot with your 1.09m?

Scott's 1M was at home (I'm pretty sure).  At FS he was running boards.

I'm not claiming to be first (although it may be possible), but I have a live 1M before the 1.09M.  I'll post a date/video when I get home.  Vince, would it really kill you that much if I was the first live 1M?  <evil laugh>

@George I'm not sure if Steve broke 1M on G4.  Can anyone confirm/deny?  That would certainly be before mine.

Easy one: first live 1.1M?

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 09:01:55 am »
Easy one: first live 1.1M?

Jeff Willms at the Kong Off II.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 11:48:37 am »
Tim Scezrby's first 1M score was 1,024,100, the 1.034M game game later. Dwayne has both archived on his stream. Guess youhave the date right, because Dwayne's broadcast was jsut a reshowing of the tape in Aug/2009.

Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 12:20:22 pm »
Tim broke 1M at least four times (four times that he told me about).  I believe his highest is 1,034,700 (ending on 21-5).  I'm not sure when/what score was his first.

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 01:21:24 pm »
Also, you have Billy's million a whole year earlier. It was 2005. Steve's million date is right, but Billy's video was shown/verified at Funspot in 2005 when wiebe was there.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:26:11 pm by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 02:53:25 pm »
Hank, I remember the 1M game you put up at Richie's.  I don't remember the score, but I think it was somewhere between 1.005M - 1.01M.  I remember taking off the control panel and showing the restrictor plate and such.  That was an important game in that it paved the way for the new recording rules which allowed us to record 1M+ games at home.  That might be what I consider as the first live 1M score.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 03:15:06 pm »
For Billy's KoK tape, I'm going by the date Pigger has here.

This is all performance dates, not verification dates.

The 1,047 tape was not seen or verified until Funspot in 2005, but it was recorded much earlier. Billy says in the movie that he'd been holding onto it for a long time. Also, the final score was engineered around beating Steve Wiebe's first submission (947K) by exactly 100,000 points. It seems like Billy wouldn't have made a big deal of targeting that score if Steve had already made his next few submissions by the time Billy played the game. 6/7/04 makes sense because Steve's 985, 995, and 1,006 all happened during summer '04 and would have been verified after 6/7/04.

I don't know where Pigger got his date, but I'll stick with it because we don't know how long that tape was lying around, but it was evidently months at least.

Thanks for the note about Tim Sczerby and the 1,024 being his first million, I didn't know Dwayne had that game archived too.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:37:29 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 04:52:24 pm »
Didn't Steve Wiebe get 1M live on G3 about 4 years ago?  I think Billy Mitchell at some real estate brokers convention did it the first time live in front of people though.

Before KO2, Steve never got a live million. He got close on G4, but never rolled it over.

That's what was so cool about the back-to-back on KO2 Day 2. Not only did he do it, he did it twice!

As for the mortgage broker's convention in 2007 where Billy took back the record from Steve, good call George, and I thought that was the first live million too, but I have since discovered that there are numerous issues with this performance. It was shown on a screen at the convention (presumably being played by Billy in another room), but I have never seen any evidence that Billy was actually there or that the game was happening live, I don't know who the ref was, etc.

I have a hard time calling it "live" if nobody was actually watching Billy in the flesh.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

hchien

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 09:11:13 am »
OK, my first live 1M at Richie Knucklez on 9/26/09.  This was also my first arcade submission to TG.  I was hesitant to submit it to TG, but I was encouraged by many people in the community to submit it.  It was verified several months later (I believe in November) after the recording rules were changed.  I've been meaning to share this for a while as there were many lively moments in this video.  I also realized I had lots of conversations with various people during the game.  Definitely one of the more entertaining recordings I have.  I held back from sharing mainly because of all the potential controversy it could have stirred up back then.  Right now I think the score and all the possible controversies are moot, so here goes.

Forgive the poor editing (I threw this together really quickly last night) and definitely ignore the n00bish gameplay.  In fact, unlearn everything you learned in this video by watching Dean play for an hour.  I uploaded this video more to share the interesting conversations/thought processes that were occurring during that time.  This was definitely a special moment in my DK career.

For the first few minutes, I introduce various witnesses to that game (there were about 15-20 total).  The bulk of the video is the last 2 levels of the game and the conversation afterwards.  The last few minutes was our ad hoc verification.

[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvrXDjHnQGY[/noembed]

Edit: before someone asks, I did NOT know how to group barrels at the time... and I told you to ignore the gameplay.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:21:17 am by hchien »

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 10:28:53 am »
This was definitely a special moment in my DK career.

Getting a 1m live a special moment for your DK career... lol. It's like if you would say:"Finishing my primary school was definitely a special moment for my future plastic surgeon career".

Kding, my first 1m was also very special to me.
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Svavar

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 10:42:52 am »
Nice! thanks for sharing that :)

Awesome to see your gameplay this early. Do you think you'll ever make your WR recording public?
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 10:50:42 am »
Nice! thanks for sharing that :)

Awesome to see your gameplay this early. Do you think you'll ever make your WR recording public?

If I ever get a score in the (old) Dean range (say 1.16M+) I'll upload it to youtube.  Otherwise it's just a waste of bandwidth.  I don't really have any "tricks" that no one knows about.  I'm also planning on streaming some attempts in a month or two, so stay tuned.

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 10:52:39 am »
Before KO2, Steve never got a live million. He got close on G4, but never rolled it over.

That's what was so cool about the back-to-back on KO2 Day 2. Not only did he do it, he did it twice!

I'm pretty confident that this is actually incorrect.  Steve's million point games at the KO2 were not the first ones that he ever did live.  It would take some digging around to find where he had done it previously, but I remember a few years back when I was surfing around trying to look into this sort of thing that there were a few smaller and lesser known places where Steve played in an arcade setting.  At least one of these (and it may have happened more than once) he did just barely break a million.  I don't remember if I was poking around on YouTube or TG or where I remember seeing this but that's what I remember anyway.

But yeah, Billy's live game in 2007 of 1,050,200 was the first known live million point game (this is the one where he was on pace for around 1,110,000 but killed it off early).  I vaguely remember that this game was approved during the "Live Only" rule, although I could be wrong about that -- perhaps that rule went into effect after Billy's game was verified I don't remember.

I'm glad to see some efforts being made to try to preserve some of these histories before they are forgotten.
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Individual Board Record Holder Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 11:05:37 am »

I'm pretty confident that this is actually incorrect.  Steve's million point games at the KO2 were not the first ones that he ever did live.

Yeah I agree with this 100%.

Around the time Steve went to G4, he was being flown all over to try to break Billy's record (1.05M) at the time.  Although I don't think he broke 1M at G4, I'm fairly certainly he broke 1M at one or more of those events.  I'm not sure if those 1M's were before/after mine.  Again, I'm NOT claiming I was first.