Author Topic: A Place for KO3 'mini-offs'  (Read 28023 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
A Place for KO3 'mini-offs'
« on: June 25, 2013, 02:27:09 pm »
So, last year, leading up to the KO2, many of us challenged each (via twitch.tv chat) to other to little 'offs' that took place while at the KO2. Examples included:

Arm-Wrestling Off
Chipotle Burrito Off
Hot Wings Off (Not sure if this actually happened, though. It shoulda!!)
Bench Press Off
Giant Jenga Off

There may have been others, and the popularity of the ones we did do varied mostly based upon interest, but also, I think, partly due to not everyone knowing about them.

I just wanted to make a thread where we could organize some other fun 'offs' for while we are all together in Denver.

P.s. I would love to see Vincent and Hank come up with something good! Maybe they could go head to head on some game neither of them have ever played...

EDIT:

...oh yeah, and here is the link to the Chipotle Burrito Off between me and Hank, if anyone was wondering and hadn't seen it yet!: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4607625242426&set=vb.1646302531&type=3&theater

It was super close!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:29:35 pm by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

Re: A Place for KO3 'mini-offs'
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 02:52:12 pm »
Did the chess off ever happen?

Looking forward to BO2 hehehe.  I think I need an extra handicap this year... can I get chicken instead of beef?  Beef is much harder for me to chew/swallow.  After last years BO, I learned that the limiting factor is not my stomach (as I had anticipated) but rather the endurance of my masseters.  So this year I will also be chewing gum in preparation.  I'm also going to ask Vincent to slip some botox into your masseters while you're sleeping =).

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 03:44:31 pm »
Oh, no, the chess off never happened... although, I remember Jeff W. and me starting a 'blind' chess game on someone's twitch chat that was going into some of the main lines of the Ruy Lopez!

Hehe...and, yeah, you can have chicken on you burrito this year. I take it this means we'll be at it again.

But just to make it official:

I, Mitchell Elliott, challenge Hank Chien to a Burrito Off at Chipotle, at the time of his choosing (so long as it is our meal, and you don't just pick to do it right after I've eaten a burger or something!  ;D -I also just don't want you to end up doing this late at night and end up having a hard time sleeping before the KO3 or something like that). The challenge will consist of Mitchell having to eat two burritos in the time that it takes Hank to eat one. Both Burritos will be relatively plain (rice, pinto beans, meat, cheese, lettuce) and roughly the same in size, the only real difference being that Hank's can have chicken instead of steak (to compensate for his feeble jaw ;) )
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 06:22:48 pm »
Haha... challenge accepted.

Offline Milehighdt

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:23:53 pm »
I was thinking that for anyone arriving early for the KO3 we might take a trip to the states biggest arcade (manitou penny arcade). To help dispel this idea that we are just a bunch of jocks we would have a Walk-off. Just a short 1 mile walk and the fastest would win and no running allowed. A short stroll from the arcade is a pleasant little jaunt that fits the bill:

The Incline in 3 minutes Manitou Springs Colorado Springs

How high can you get?
DK (Arcade) 1,129,700
DK No-hammer (Arcade) 768800 Killscreen
DK No-hammer (mame japan set)  524600 level 21-4
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener Winner of a community event Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK No-Hammer Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 07:02:34 am »
I was thinking that for anyone arriving early for the KO3 we might take a trip to the states biggest arcade (manitou penny arcade). To help dispel this idea that we are just a bunch of jocks we would have a Walk-off. Just a short 1 mile walk and the fastest would win and no running allowed. A short stroll from the arcade is a pleasant little jaunt that fits the bill:

[noembed]The Incline in 3 minutes Manitou Springs Colorado Springs[/noembed]

How high can you get?

I don't know, Jeff.  My idea of a "pleasant little jaunt" would be a zip line excursion, preferably in the opposite direction.   8)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Milehighdt

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 02:46:02 pm »
A little tongue in cheek there.  :P  That hike kicks my butt, 2000 foot elevation gain in a mile. A zip line is about a mile away but it will be closed in November. The arcade is a must see, as it has games I've never seen elsewhere.
DK (Arcade) 1,129,700
DK No-hammer (Arcade) 768800 Killscreen
DK No-hammer (mame japan set)  524600 level 21-4
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener Winner of a community event Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK No-Hammer Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 08:28:39 am »
If i'm able to make it out there a day or 2 early, which i'm assuming is when most of these mini-off's take place, I was wondering if...since Hank also holds the WR in Checkman, if anyone would want to have a mini Checkman-Off.

I've seen a few others try this game out on streams, its a fun/quick game so it wouldn't take that long (even a very good game only lasts under 10 minutes)...just throwing the idea out there...another small event anyone interested could participate in.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 09:28:24 pm »
Just wanted to update Hank on my training for our Burrito-Off.

During the last 4 days, I have had 11 Chipotle burritos:

Day 1: 3 at a time for dinner.
Day 2: Took the day off from training.
Day 3: 3 at a time for dinner.
Day 4: 5 in one day! (3 of them at a time for lunch, then two others at one time for dinner).

I'm ready. Are you!? ;)

lakeman421

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 08:56:26 pm »
If Mark and I don't do this soon we will have to do out Turtle Off or Stratovox Off in Denver

hchien

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 08:39:55 am »
Day 4: 5 in one day! (3 of them at a time for lunch, then two others at one time for dinner).

Holy cow!  I'm falling behind.

I'm gonna stop by Costco on my way home and get a family size pack of Wrigley's.

BTW did you see Joey Chestnut on the 4th of July?!  He broke his record-- 69 hot dogs in 10 minutes.  Beast!

hchien

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 08:42:09 am »
if anyone would want to have a mini Checkman-Off.

Can I participate?  To make it fair, I can play "cold", but I can still usually get 100-200K cold.

acrjoey

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 02:04:35 pm »
hey Mitch why dont you challenge Hank to a real burritto?

Jack-n-Grill 7lb Burrito Challange

that 7lb monster is only about 2 miles away from the 1-up in denver. Plus if a woman finishes it she eats at the resturant for free for LIFE

giv

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 02:58:19 pm »
I haven't seen a response from kyou, saying whether or not he's willing to go up against me in the Debate-Off, but I am ready if he or anyone else is. Is ready to lose the mame/home score vs live arcade score argument, that is. 8)

Also Robbie, we may be able to have our first Swear-Off at the Kong-Off 3. Jourdan Adler himself may be our third contender for the coveted "SwearOff spittoon." (I just made that up) Seriously, Jourdan expressed interest. He may just curse at a centipede machine while we play games that we dislike. I figured it comes to the same thing. We'd just need to figure out who our panel of distinguished judges will be.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 03:02:08 pm »
Whoa! I had seen this episode before, but I didn't remember that it was in Denver! To be honest, I'm a pretty picky eater (I don't like tomatoes, onions, and peppers :/ ), but if they could make one with only stuff in it that I like, I may be able to do it! I've eaten 3 Chipotle burritos in 11 minutes before and 4 in 30, so maybe I'd have a shot! Each normal-sized Chipotle is about 1.5 lbs, and I usually get at least 2 every time I go, and they are with extra rice and beans -so I'm guessing they are each just under 2 lbs.

You know what, if people want me to, I'd be willing to try it on one of the days!