Author Topic: Any Questions About the Kong Off 3?  (Read 51699 times)

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Any Questions About the Kong Off 3?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 10:12:19 am »
it is what it is. you all know how i feel about this...but thats not important. ultimately its richies tournament and hes running a business. im going to get my name on one of those fucking machines. whatever it takes, baby 8)

That's the spirit!

As for there being wiggle room and maybe this and maybe that... That is MY opinion, not anything official. OFFICIALY it is the top 12 arcade scores.

I personally, and I'm sure Richie agrees, would LOVE to see a wildcard machine win KO3. Remember that NOONE is being excluded, everyone is welcome and everyone can play. To get the perk of having a dedicated arcade machine you have to put up the score on a dedicated machine.

Something this awesome should not have this kind of negative taint to it. I would be out finding a machine and getting my spot secured, November is just around the corner!

-Ken
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Svavar

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 11:28:44 am »
Aside from what I feel about this I think its pretty sloppy to have left this question hanging for so long

The top three mame players have scores on arcade as well anyway. Dean, Jeff and Robbie.

Dean and Jeff only have those scores because they were invited to the Kong Off on the basis of their MAME scores.

Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 11:38:49 am »
I would like to see TG, or the KO3 facebook page, give some mid point announcements of the current standings. Something like:

"Hey Guys, step up you game, only 60 days left to KO3 and here are the current standings, we're going into the final stretch, etc..."

If it's 100% official that the TG arcade scoreboard is the entry, then you could say just look at the TG scoreboard and there's your answer, but the most up to date scoreboard has me at 10th still, with Mike G, and Robbie still having scores to be approved. I would like to see the duplicate Steve Wiltshire's corrected.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/scoreboard/3852/2/22/

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:48:27 am by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 12:15:10 pm »
Was Robbie able to tear apart the DK machine at Funspot? I don't know if he did or not but just recording it at Funspot doesn't mean it will get approved does it? If so then can I go to the place 45 minutes from me and just record on the machine there? (This is a serious question because I called and asked and they will NOT let me open the machine).

Sva / Dave yes I don't understand why its July and still nothing "official" on this. Both Dean and Jeff W only have arcade scores because of KO2 otherwise they would still be just WC players if what is going around is the final state of affairs. Would they have even showed up then? As good as they are the no restart rule it's possible they wouldn't have even made the cut for Sunday and they went 1 and 2.

Dan

I would like to see TG, or the KO3 facebook page, give some mid point announcements of the current standings. Something like:

"Hey Guys, step up you game, only 60 days left to KO3 and here are the current standings, we're going into the final stretch, etc..."

If it's 100% official that the TG arcade scoreboard is the entry, then you could say just look at the TG scoreboard and there's your answer, but the most up to date scoreboard has me at 10th still, with Mike G, and Robbie still having scores to be approved. I would like to see the duplicate Steve Wiltshire's corrected.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/scoreboard/3852/2/22/
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

lakeman421

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 12:34:05 pm »
Tearing apart the Funspot machine was not possible for me when I recorded.  It was later in the evening and I could not find anyone that would be able to help me out and obviously I couldnt just do it myself.  I showed the score and that I was at Funspot.  I stated my name, date, location before I dropped the token into the slot.  I know opening the machine is almost impossible, because they almost didnt do it for Hank when he played there.  They only did cause it was an acception since it was for the world record.  I have footage of Funspot to prove I was there and I even have a credible witness.  I hope it is enough to get accepted, but I just did what I've always done when I've broken a record at Funspot.

giv

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 01:58:35 pm »
That Robbie Lakeman, causing trouble again!  ;D

When putting up a score on a machine in an arcade, I would say there are a few places that are good enough in my book, meaning I trust the scores enough to consider them official for earning a dedicated machine at the Kong Off. Funspot is one of them. And before you say who cares what your opinion is, remember that I am a TG ref, and my word does carry some weight.

Yes, Dean and Jeff put up their arcade scores at the Kong Off. Should those scores not count? Of course they should, I'm sure no one is arguing that. So the point of bringing up that technicality is to say that the rules have changed and that's not fair. Sometimes in baseball people complain about the umpire, and say this or that was a bad call. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. But to participate in any sport or competition, you must respect the ref's discretion. Sometimes you may not like a call, but the referee's word is final and needs to be respected. That's the way organized competition goes.

giv

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 02:13:41 pm »
Dan, if you went through the steps that Robbie did and put up a monster score at your local arcade with the recording to prove it, you can be sure it would not be dismissed out of hand, but would be given serious consideration. It helps to do it at a Funspot or Richie's or the Kencade of course, but it would certainly cause a stir. It certainly wouldn't hurt your chances of securing a dedicated machine at the Kong Off 3.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 03:08:38 pm »
Ethan has been saying this for weeks. I'm not sure why it's a surprise to anyone.

Ethan has been saying that in the shoutbox, Twitch chats, etc., but not everybody sees those, and a lot of people don't "hang out" as much as others so they wouldn't know. I figured it should be public in a thread somewhere.

I disagree with Richie's decision, but I support it, and the bottom line is that he has the right to do the Kong Off the way he wants.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

giv

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 03:50:25 pm »
I'm curious, who are these out-of-the-loop players that you're referring to? I thought all you Cult of Kong devotees are all connected by telepathic mind waves.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 04:03:07 pm »
I'm curious, who are these out-of-the-loop players that you're referring to? I thought all you Cult of Kong devotees are all connected by telepathic mind waves.

I'm probably one of them.  I miss a lot due to my daily afternoon nap.   :)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 04:33:15 pm »
I'll try and head over one weekend to Flipper McCoys if I can't get an arcade machine and try and put up a DK score while I record with my Camcorder. I don't think I'm Top 12 material anyway so my questions have nothing to do with me and is more of the situation.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 04:43:26 pm »
There are varying levels of involvement.

It runs the gamut from Dean (who just kinda comes and goes and plays and doesn't really pay attention to all the gossip and whatnot), to Mitch/Ethan/me/JC/Mark et al, which is like the ladies sewing circle.  ;D

http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 04:55:58 pm »
    George the scores at the KO2 should absolutely count. The point Svar and others are making that they wouldn't have BEEN able to play on those dedicated machines at KO2 because all they had were MAME scores at that time so they wouldn't HAVE those scores now. Vincent is also another player who would have been out because he had nothing but MAME scores as well IIRC.

I'm not trying to stir the pot or cause any grief but if t is going to be Top 12 TG ARCADE ONLY Submitted scores then that is fine. If you want to say "get an arcade machine and if you get a recording of that you will get you a dedicated machine at KO3 even if that isn't all the steps for an 'official' submission" then that is also fine.

Regardless I think everyone just wants them to say whatever it is an make it "Official" and I guess a lot of people can't understand why this hasn't been done yet?

They really need to say you have until xxx date to get the score as well (like say what Oct 1st or Oct 15th?) People have to pay a lot of money to travel and if I was sitting it 11th or 12th place I would definitely be concerned about what is happening and when will I KNOW if i'm in or do I have to play on Friday?

giv

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 05:15:18 pm »
So you're out of the loop for about three hours a day, Stella?  :) Then you haven't missed anything. Maybe half a conversation in the chat box, at most.

And even though he doesn't post much, I'd bet Dean misses nothing important. He has DK connections.

giv

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 05:29:56 pm »
" George the scores at the KO2 should absolutely count. The point Svar and others are making that they wouldn't have BEEN able to play on those dedicated machines at KO2 because all they had were MAME scores at that time so they wouldn't HAVE those scores now. Vincent is also another player who would have been out because he had nothing but MAME scores as well IIRC."

But I said exactly that. The point they are making is that the rules have changed and it isn't fair. I to that I said whether or not you think it is fair, the referee's rules must be respected. That is the nature of organized competition.

As for official announcements and cut off dates, I don't know. I would just focus on kicking Kong's ass from here to Halloween if I was planning on competing.