Author Topic: Tetris is more popular than all of CAG gaming  (Read 1018 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Tetris is more popular than all of CAG gaming
« on: January 15, 2024, 04:14:52 am »
Tetris seems to be more popular than all of Classic Arcade Gaming combined. There's literally a huge list of regional Tetris tournaments.
My thoughts. The bright side is that at least some classic high score game has taken off.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Fly

• Awards
Re: Tetris is more popular than all of CAG gaming
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 07:03:24 pm »
They're all just training for T&F. They just don't know it yet.  We still need to find a way to get them rolling with both hands.

Then IT'S ON!!

Fly
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline Matt

• Matt Gibbs DK_1981
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 12:11:05 am »
True. It has made me wonder if anyone who has been serious at CAG has switched over to Tetris. Reminds me of that one interview where Billy  <Billy> was talking about how he originally liked pinball, but switched to arcade games because of the popularity. - Matt Gibbs
I put in my coin and it didn't do anything!!!!
Member for 5 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline andrewg

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 02:05:31 am »
At this point that's basically just saying that Tetris is bigger than Donkey Kong.
There's a Kill Screen Coming Up!
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Mario500

• Doing 'The Mario' on the keyboard
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 04:25:02 am »
They're all just training for T&F. They just don't know it yet.  We still need to find a way to get them rolling with both hands.

Then IT'S ON!!

Fly

"T&F"?
Highest Score in Donkey Kong for Nintendo 64 Systems (Mario500): 699,300 points (Level 19-1)
Highest Level in Donkey Kong for Nintendo 64 Systems (Mario500): Level 19-1
Member for 11 Years

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 04:50:14 am »
At this point that's basically just saying that Tetris is bigger than Donkey Kong.
Donkey Kong is half the community

1. Galaga has competition
2. There's a few great players who aren't that great at Donkey Kong
Dwayne Richard, Donald Hayes, Martin Bernard, Abdner Ashman
3. Donkey Kong Jr and Donkey Kong 3 Both have competition
It's not just Donkey Kong
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Matt

• Matt Gibbs DK_1981
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 11:18:12 am »

Then IT'S ON!!

Fly

"T&F"?

Yeah, Track and Field is an awesome game. I thought I heard somewhere that there is only so much, human possibly, that the machine can read input. Or am I mistaken.
I put in my coin and it didn't do anything!!!!
Member for 5 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Fly

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 12:16:04 pm »

Then IT'S ON!!

Fly

"T&F"?

Yeah, Track and Field is an awesome game. I thought I heard somewhere that there is only so much, human possibly, that the machine can read input. Or am I mistaken.

The number of inputs that can be registered on a game are based on how many frames per second the game runs at. For max results you have to have ONE frame ON followed by ONE frame OFF, repeat at frame prefect for 30hz on a game that runs at 60fps. Also, the amount of actual presses the buttons can physically handle. Many dont depress fast enough to achieve as many as they were pressed. This is what makes speeds over 20hz hard to maintain. If you press too long or the button takes an extra frame to come up, then 30hz isn't possible. Also, if you press too fast, it's the same as just holding the button down.

It's easy to see these limitations with Tetris rolling.  Many times, you see that they pressed 4 times but have to quickly tap again to get the 4th press. That's either a lost input from hitting too fast or they lost one due to the way they have to hold the controller.

Member for 10 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer