Author Topic: Say what you want about Jr the top 10 score list is amazing  (Read 6726 times)

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Say what you want about Jr the top 10 score list is amazing
« on: September 13, 2021, 07:11:49 am »
Despite the haterade by the nay sayers Donkey Kong Junior has one of the greatest top 10 score lists in all of arcade gaming.
Given how strong the competition has gotten over the past 10 years I dare say it is easily in the top 5.
Yes, a lot of the competition has been because of Donkey Kong. But still getting a 1.3 million score to make the top 10 is incredibly hard given personal experience.
As far as competition goes, it's an A plus level game.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Dallas Taylor

• Awards
Re: Say what you want about Jr the top 10 score list is amazing
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 06:57:56 pm »
Despite the haterade by the nay sayers Donkey Kong Junior has one of the greatest top 10 score lists in all of arcade gaming.
Given how strong the competition has gotten over the past 10 years I dare say it is easily in the top 5.
Yes, a lot of the competition has been because of Donkey Kong. But still getting a 1.3 million score to make the top 10 is incredibly hard given personal experience.
As far as competition goes, it's an A plus level game.

Well said Mr. Riley.

I'm hoping that some of these "Kings of Kong" see what Justin Elliott did and decide to go for their Master rankings. Can't wait to see Mr. Tecchio playing Junior!!!  ;D ;D ;D

As for the scoring, I think I've proven that if you're willing to take the time to press for everything you can get, 1.3 is actually pretty easy to pull off. I'd be really interested to see what some of you guys who haven't played for a while would get using current pressing techniques. There are a slew of you guys that I think could pull off 1.4 without breaking much of a sweat if you wanted to do so.

Mr. Chambers is playing again, as is Mr. McGill. If we could get the Barrow's, Copeland's and... Riley's of the world to have a go, I think that top ten list could require a 1.4 to break into within a year or so.

For now, I'm just happy to see people playing the red-headed stepchild of Donkey Kong :)
Member for 4 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 02:04:24 am »
Competition has definitely come a long way in the past ~2 years which is awesome! Lots of new strategies uncovered and some great players have come through.

1.3m is still no easy feat but it's definitely a lot more accessible than in the past.
I still think 1.5m is the holy grail for this game. No doubt that its possible, just takes 2 or more people to push each other to the limit. If this title had the same attention that DK has had over the years I have no doubt the current record would be low-to-mid-1.5m

I'd like to take another stab at this title after I up my DK score (who knows how long that will take :) )
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 03:10:45 am »
Man I don't know what's going on.  But huge scores are 100% incoming!!! <popcorn>
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder DKJR Remix Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 10:38:36 am »
Like I said, given personal experience.  I admit I naturally suck at the game.  My score is basically fufilling close to my true potential. If I had even the slightest bit of natural talent in the game I would think about it.
But I did what I set out to do in the game. I feel that my biggest weakness is still not being good overall in classic gaming.
My lousy results from this prior Yolympics is a perfect example.  So I believe my all around gaming still has a lot of room for improvement, and I'd like to focus on that.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 03:38:51 pm »
George I think  you could up your score  pretty  easily. The slide and the triple on the spring  are easy enough  to learn. And I'm willing  to help you out if needed. And I'm sure Dallas  would  to as well. But I guess  you have to like Jr to play it though lmao.Just because  you struggled  at Yo this year. doesn't  mean you won't crush it next year because  you will. you're  a Freakin Legend.
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder DKJR Remix Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Dallas Taylor

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 03:55:27 pm »
George I think  you could up your score  pretty  easily. The slide and the triple on the spring  are easy enough  to learn. And I'm willing  to help you out if needed. And I'm sure Dallas  would  to as well. But I guess  you have to like Jr to play it though lmao.Just because  you struggled  at Yo this year. doesn't  mean you won't crush it next year because  you will. you're  a Freakin Legend.

What he ^^^^^ said.

I don't know code like Gilly, Mr. Tudose and Mr. Chambers, but I do have some experience playing the game :) and am willing to help anyone who asks for it. My first suggestion is watch Mr. Barrows KS Tutorial. After that, feel free to message the fat kid.

As for focussing on other games: Whatever brings you enjoyment sir. Gaming is supposed to be fun.

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 07:25:47 pm »
Well, is there a special trick to the triple? I get the slide. Easy to understand.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline Dallas Taylor

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 04:26:02 am »
Well, is there a special trick to the triple? I get the slide. Easy to understand.

Keeping in mind that I don?t know code: as near as I can tell it?s a timing thing. Gilly could probably explain it better. I just learned it from watching Mr. Tudose, then Mat helped me refine it. Ultimately, I was running the pattern too quickly, throwing off the necessary timing.

I could try to do a tutorial video if you think you might be interested.

Offline ww

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 07:14:02 am »

So guys, which one of these is the one on sparks where u slide from top to bottom to knock out the triple spark?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 07:15:48 am by ww »
Member for 5 Years CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Dallas Taylor

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 08:17:13 am »

So guys, which one of these is the one on sparks where u slide from top to bottom to knock out the triple spark?

That would be the slide. Also a triple if done correctly, but in this instance the triple that we?re referring to is the top fruit triple smash on the Springboard stages.