Author Topic: Yolympics 2020  (Read 35809 times)

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: Yolympics 2020
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 08:41:23 pm »
-Autofire is not allowed.
-All submissions must include an INP or link to a stream or video. Acceptable platforms are WolfMAME 0.183 or an original arcade cab. Video-only WolfMAME submissions will be required to show the startup of the WolfMAME program and the game settings. Please submit only one attempt per INP.
Copied old rules?

I'll look into the possibility of using the newest version once we get a better idea what games we are likely to play. I don't want infinite romset issues as verifying is going to be hard enough as is
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 06:55:52 am »
I look forward to representing Luigi.
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 09:01:14 am »
I don't think my computer can run the newest version.  Also after 185 the programmers decided to give a middle finger to the gaming community by making it harder to look up and play games.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2019, 09:21:02 am »
Keep v.183 pl0x

for our 32-bit comrades
Member for 8 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline BBH

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2019, 03:29:31 am »
Also after 185 the programmers decided to give a middle finger to the gaming community by making it harder to look up and play games.

wha
http://www.twitch.tv/lordbbh
I don't actually play Donkey Kong.
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2019, 07:38:48 am »
Also after 185 the programmers decided to give a middle finger to the gaming community by making it harder to look up and play games.

wha
The system is less user friendly. I think you have to do command lines.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Pearl

• Canadian STG
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2019, 09:52:51 am »

wha
The system is less user friendly. I think you have to do command lines.

no, only for stuff like inp recording and inp playback. you can use the gui to load and play roms like you can in 185.
dot dodging
Member for 5 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2019, 11:14:39 am »
That's the thing. People obviously will be recording their games. That's now an extra step. A step that's not necessarily easy for everyone. Ease of recording is nice to have in tournaments where you are playing over 20 games, and recording hundreds of times.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline BBH

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2019, 12:55:03 pm »
That's the thing. People obviously will be recording their games. That's now an extra step. A step that's not necessarily easy for everyone. Ease of recording is nice to have in tournaments where you are playing over 20 games, and recording hundreds of times.

It didn't change in 0.185 though? Unless you just mean anything after 0.106. I'm not sure why we're talking about 0.185 when the tournament is using 0.183?

Packages of WolfMAME still have the record.bat and playback.bat files to make things less scary. When using a command line, maybe the hardest part of the whole process is just navigating to where you have MAME stored, and I agree that sucks if you're not well-versed in command lines. Maybe I'm biased because I was using DOS back in the early 90's. But once you're there all you have to do is type "record rallyx rallyx" or whatever and you're good to go. Got another game to record for the tournament? You're already in the directory, so "record bongo bongo". Doesn't seem too difficult to me?

As for recording hundreds of times? If you're still in the command prompt and want another attempt but you already hit Esc, all you have to do is press Up on the command prompt window to repeat the last command, and then Enter. Couldn't be simpler! Way faster than using a GUI. If you want a super-fast restart in-game, press F3 to do a normal reset and kill the recording, then Shift-F3 to automatically hard reset MAME and start a new recording. I don't think that's even possible in wolf106! (seriously, some people need to stop using 0.106 already for the love of god)
http://www.twitch.tv/lordbbh
I don't actually play Donkey Kong.
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2019, 01:02:12 pm »

It didn't change in 0.185 though? Unless you just mean anything after 0.106. I'm not sure why we're talking about 0.185 when the tournament is using 0.183?

Packages of WolfMAME still have the record.bat and playback.bat files to make things less scary. When using a command line, maybe the hardest part of the whole process is just navigating to where you have MAME stored, and I agree that sucks if you're not well-versed in command lines. Maybe I'm biased because I was using DOS back in the early 90's. But once you're there all you have to do is type "record rallyx rallyx" or whatever and you're good to go. Got another game to record for the tournament? You're already in the directory, so "record bongo bongo". Doesn't seem too difficult to me?

As for recording hundreds of times? If you're still in the command prompt and want another attempt but you already hit Esc, all you have to do is press Up on the command prompt window to repeat the last command, and then Enter. Couldn't be simpler! Way faster than using a GUI. If you want a super-fast restart in-game, press F3 to do a normal reset and kill the recording, then Shift-F3 to automatically hard reset MAME and start a new recording. I don't think that's even possible in wolf106! (seriously, some people need to stop using 0.106 already for the love of god)

My bad.  I meant 183. :)

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2019, 01:14:23 pm »
Stop using v.106 - it takes a hex editor to look at the INPs which is such bazullshizt.

Anyone who has used v.106 up until now but is now using v.183 check out this thread at TG it?s a big help when romsets have been renamed since v.106 (to be sure you?re using the right romset)

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/153275-ROM-changes-which-affect-MAME-submissions?highlight=mame+rename
Member for 8 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Kibbey93

• Nibblayyyyyy.
    • Twitch.tv
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2019, 09:48:00 pm »

Tip for easily navigating to the MAME directory in command line. Open the folder where the mame.exe file is, hold shift, and right-click. There will be an option for "Open powershell/command line window here".

If opening a Powershell windows start the command with ./    eg... ./record rallyx rallyx.

Also, I rebind my hard reset key and only require a double tap of this key to start a new recording. No need to even press shift-f3.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 09:49:35 pm by Kibbey93 »
DK Masters - Rank D Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2019, 01:14:42 am »
Ghosts 'n Goblins got nominated again.   :D :D :D

If it wins, cancel the whole tournament as punishment.  ;D
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2020, 10:46:12 pm »
52 people registered so far! Get in there people!

37 sets of nominations with a lot of interesting games

Nominating will close this Sunday night (undetermined time), the link to vote will be posted at this time

Remember if you have nominated games but haven't registered for the tournament, your nominations will be removed prior to voting
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline dollopuss

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2020, 10:04:11 am »
And everyone needs to vote for Space Dungeon  Kappa
Member for 5 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer