Author Topic: kong off 7  (Read 20146 times)

Offline spindaddy56

• Awards
Re: kong off 7
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 07:31:25 am »
403,600 Maybe I did not deserve to be in the Kong Off, but I was there put up a score and had a blast.  I'll continue to play a game I love and improve my scores and I'll be at Kong Off 8. 

Spindaddy
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Fliplismc

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 08:08:25 am »
You did great! kong off is not about score/winning its all about meeting the mates in the community and have a blast! Winning / getting a huge score is just bonus.
You wont remember the score but the people you met <3
CK MAME: 601,000 - KS
DK Arcade: 853,500 - KS
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline John73

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 08:52:44 am »
You did great! kong off is not about score/winning its all about meeting the mates in the community and have a blast! Winning / getting a huge score is just bonus.
You wont remember the score but the people you met <3

This is why I'd prefer guys like Billy Mitchell not be at the Aussie Kong Off - the first two have been great, we do not need, nor want the controversy that comes will Billy attending.

I'd love to meet Walter, but his attitude is that he won't attend without Billy, then my attitude is I'm sorry I never got to meet Walter.
DK Mame 266K Level 8-6
CK Mame 559K Killscreen
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 08:58:49 am »
It has to do with how many people were there spindaddy. Once people realized that they were in and there wasn’t anyone there who could even theoretically knock them out, they stopped unless they cared about their seed.

I cared about my seed a little, but was perfectly happy with Lakeman. Definitely not the match I imagined, as I was going for a late game point pressing battle after we both ran boards for about 15 levels, since a point pressing war hasn’t been seen since kongoff 5.

And to UKP - I personally think that the current format penalizes the aggressive players and favors the board runners. A match ending on level 7 or 9 would allow for consistently aggressive high level play, instead of getting to watch a 1.24 player run boards and hope for bad fireball rng to make someone scramble and make it exciting for the wrong reasons. When I was up a few men and a few thousand points, I was thinking that it would be more telling if we were both going for 65k levels and the skill levels would be apparent. Any non-kong expert would likely have deduced that we were about the same caliber of player and I flinched first when in reality I’m the guy that would lose all of his men in one level replicating Robbie’s tactics.

Like, I understand the argument that this allows a lot more people to have a chance by normalizing the optimal strategy, but “being able to run boards” isn’t really a skill that is valued much. At least by me. It just makes us all tourists.
Member for 7 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline John73

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 09:22:51 am »

Like, I understand the argument that this allows a lot more people to have a chance by normalizing the optimal strategy, but “being able to run boards” isn’t really a skill that is valued much. At least by me. It just makes us all tourists.

And when the Aussie Kong Off becomes more about players not attending because they know they have no chance at winning - i.e point pressing is more important than just running boards so you can qualify higher, and winning the title and prize money is valued more by the player over hanging out with mates and having a great weekend, that is when I'll stop going to Aussie Kong Off's.

Finding the best player at a Kong Off/Aussie Kong Off/Any Kong Off is always important, but not at the expense of friendships.
DK Mame 266K Level 8-6
CK Mame 559K Killscreen

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2019, 12:52:52 pm »
I’d assert that shorter higher paced games are better for friendships so you don’t blow 2-3 hours at a time for each score you put up.
Member for 7 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline John73

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2019, 10:29:42 am »
I’d assert that shorter higher paced games are better for friendships so you don’t blow 2-3 hours at a time for each score you put up.

You're probably right and it's something event organisers in Australia are already talking about.

As great as the Kong Off events have been - it seems like they have run their course in the USA - the KO7 was pretty disappointing tbh in terms of the number of top players who didn't attend.  I can't as an Australian answer the "Billy" factor in stopping players going - but I do strongly suspect that he will have little to no influence if "they" fly him to Australia for the 3rd Aussie Kong Off - the main contenders just do not want him there - though they'll probably attend regardless.
DK Mame 266K Level 8-6
CK Mame 559K Killscreen

Offline colecomeister

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2019, 10:34:55 pm »
Richie, I just saw your appearance on the East Side Dave show this Tuesday night - usually appearing on that show is a bad idea, nothing good ever comes of it. You dropped in here talking about “healing” the community, but then as the lead organizer of the Kong Off, you appear on the show and cast shade on McCurdy and state that you don't even know the name of the guy who got the WR during KO7, that he's some “anonymous guy” who plays from home, won’t play live at KO, that you don't even know if McCurdy was using MAME or not, and then provide the disclaimer “And just so there isn’t any hate on me, I haven’t seen the tape, I only heard about the tape, no comment.”  Then why comment at all, although I thought there might have been the chance it came up with Robbie? And considering that your DKF account was last active three days ago, and McCurdy's name and score went up on the landing page by the day after KO7, your diss about the "no name guy" is just plain awkward and bad form overall. You extend an invitation for McCurdy to appear at KO8 here and there during the show, but then quickly state by then Robbie will be 100,000 points ahead of him anyway. Frankly I’m not sure why he’d want to bother given that you haven’t met the guy but you apparently have already made up your mind about who he is. I get that you're friends with Robbie, but if you’re going to call for healing, you really shouldn’t be in there throwing sucker punches at McCurdy - Lakeman and McCurdy can handle their own rivalry.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:08:45 pm by colecomeister »
Member for 6 Years

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2019, 07:39:29 am »
That is really disappointing. It seems to me, from the outside, that Richie & Billy camp truly believe that any press is good press, and that conflict is the path to keeping them in the spotlight, rather than the opposite.

Richie, I just saw your appearance on the East Side Dave show this Tuesday night - usually appearing on that show is a bad idea, nothing good ever comes of it. You dropped in here talking about “healing” the community, but then as the lead organizer of the Kong Off, you appear on the show and cast shade on McCurdy and state that you don't even know the name of the guy who got the WR during KO7, that he's some “anonymous guy” who plays from home, won’t play live at KO, that you don't even know if McCurdy was using MAME or not, and then provide the disclaimer “And just so there isn’t any hate on me, I haven’t seen the tape, I only heard about the tape, no comment.”  Then why comment at all, although I thought there might have been the chance it came up with Robbie? And considering that your DKF account was last active three days ago, and McCurdy's name and score went up on the landing page by the day after KO7, your diss about the "no name guy" is just plain awkward and bad form overall. You extend an invitation for McCurdy to appear at KO8 here and there during the show, but then quickly state by then Robbie will be 100,000 points ahead of him anyway. Frankly I’m not sure why he’d want to bother given that you haven’t met the guy but you apparently have already made up your mind about who he is. I get that you're friends with Robbie, but if you’re going to call for healing, you really shouldn’t be in there throwing sucker punches at McCurdy - Lakeman and McCurdy can handle their own rivalry.
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline the_ocho

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2019, 03:11:51 pm »
Haven't watch it, was this the same cringe worthy show that Billy showed up on when he first got accused of cheating?  Such a dirt ball group of people.  I can't blame the top talent not showing up to these things anymore.  Don't support this shit, its past its prime and the folks promoting it are pretty rotten to the core these days.  I hope McCurdy or anyone else just continues to push these scores higher from home and turn their back to this shit.  The top guys on this forum could do what the NES runners do, run an annual Best of Kong.  Take the format of Best of NES  https://bestofnes.com/marathons  best players stream their games and best score in a 2-4 hour period wins.  Or have them all play at once and do a Knockout tournament.   You really shouldn't support someone shitting on players like they do. 

Member for 5 Years

Offline SithOfSpades

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2019, 05:41:08 am »
I like the idea of having a format where every game matters, and the bracket really captured that. I would take this even further into the qualifying. I would make it something like 4 quarters total points. Doing the bracket in 1 day with the length of the games also makes it a long watch. Cutting the games down to like level 10 might be good too. Maybe full games for qualifying shortened for the bracket.
Member for 5 Years DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline colecomeister

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2019, 06:09:57 am »
I know the members of DKF are an expert audience, so this article won't be revelatory, but I wanted to share it here as a reference for the curious and those that might visit this thread in the future.

https://www.twingalaxies.com/feed_details.php/4832/jeff-wolfe-john-mccurdy-are-the-new-kings-of-kong/25

During the week that followed KO7, I noticed that TG hadn't pushed a story out about the events. That didn't feel right given that it was a natural place of course for classic gaming / retro gaming news in the past in lieu of esports, so I approached Jace about possibly writing an article - he said give it a go, so I wrote it late Sunday night/Monday. It's not the most detailed article in capturing the various moments of KO7, but I didn't know I'd be writing something at the outset of watching KO7. My main goal was to get something in TG's hands quickly while hopefully doing justice to overall story. Cheers
Member for 6 Years

Offline colecomeister

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2019, 08:37:24 am »
Haven't watch it, was this the same cringe worthy show that Billy showed up on when he first got accused of cheating?  Such a dirt ball group of people.  I can't blame the top talent not showing up to these things anymore.  Don't support this shit, its past its prime and the folks promoting it are pretty rotten to the core these days.  I hope McCurdy or anyone else just continues to push these scores higher from home and turn their back to this shit.  The top guys on this forum could do what the NES runners do, run an annual Best of Kong.  Take the format of Best of NES  https://bestofnes.com/marathons  best players stream their games and best score in a 2-4 hour period wins.  Or have them all play at once and do a Knockout tournament.   You really shouldn't support someone shitting on players like they do. 

Yes, it's the same show that Billy appeared on following the presentation of xelnia's updated evidence package.

I think the DKF community already does something along the lines of Best of NES? Or at least I came across some older threads with an on-line format that echoes what you suggested.

For me personally, I think the overall balance has been that the KOs have had a positive impact on the DK scene and traditionally KO has been a season "highlight" for the community. I think like religion and politics, maybe there's a point where people can participate in the event knowing we're going to have a fundamental disagreement over what Richie called "the elephant in the arcade" and therefore agree not to dwell on or talk about it for the duration of the KO. That said, there might be other "background factors" surrounding KOs that I'm not aware of - as you can tell from my post count, I'm not a veteran member of the community, there's only so much I can glean from the shoutbox so maybe in all honestly there's more fault lines at play here. In terms of future KOs, I guess the community will vote with its feet.
Member for 6 Years