Author Topic: Donkey Kong High Score List General Discussion  (Read 324007 times)

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong High Score List
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2013, 08:35:34 pm »
I will need the help to maintain it if you are the only other person who can edit my original post containing the score list. I appreciate anyone who will be able to help. I don't mind being the primary person editing the list but it would be a great help if another person or two had access who could verify a score, or get verification, and then add it to the list.

Ironically enough, Steve Wagner can edit it too. ;D
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

corey.chambers

« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2013, 08:48:38 pm »
That's cool. The more help the merrier. I hope that everyone understands that in order to have a list like this that it may even exclude some of our own scores. But I think that most people here are willing to sacrifice a bit to keep the list free from presumption and claims that will come our way. I think that one of the best ways of staying honest about the list is for us to be consistent. That is respectable. I would like all the scores to be present on the list, but the more accountability we apply to it the more scores that it may exclude. I am sure that both Ben Mazowita's and Steve Wagner's scores are genuine. If a lot of people don't think that the list should have a high level of accountability such as I have described, then please let me know. This is everyone's list, and it can be whatever it needs to be to best serve the DK Community.

I will need the help to maintain it if you are the only other person who can edit my original post containing the score list. I appreciate anyone who will be able to help. I don't mind being the primary person editing the list but it would be a great help if another person or two had access who could verify a score, or get verification, and then add it to the list.

Ironically enough, Steve Wagner can edit it too. ;D

hchien

« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2013, 09:58:06 pm »
Neither Steve Wag nor Ben M.'s scores meet your original criteria.  Ironically Ben's 971K game meets your added criteria (video shows entering of initials, restart showing 3 men, and a reboot) but Steve's still does not, yet we are accepting Steve's score because it is generally accepted and rejecting Ben's because he is not known by our community.  If we are going to be subjective about it (that's fine by me), then we should just admit that it is a subjective list.  If we are going to try to be objective, then Ben's score should be added and Steve's removed.  I'm not picking on Wag, just pointing out the flaws in this list.  I know Wag will get 1M once he tries anyway.

A lot of people on this forum have not met Ben or seen him play which is why we are excluding him.  Those who were at KO1 saw him play.  I have no doubt his scores are real (subjectively speaking).  For what it's worth, he had the highest wildcard score at KO1; he has an externally recorded video of his end game (with audio) showing all the crucial components of verification.

Keep in mind no one saw Steve Wiebe play until Funspot.  He was doubted because he was not known.  I think we are just as guilty as Brian Kuh, Walter Day and Robert M. in KoK by excluding Ben.  Things like this give people the impression that we are an exclusive clique of jocks.  That's my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:37:48 pm by hchien »

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2013, 10:20:22 pm »
I was always skeptical about the two records (DK & DK Jr.) on the same day at the same place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvdrEgk2l6g

Dave, there are other damning problems with videos from that day, one of which featuring the board swap from DK to DK Jr. (The video has since had its original audio track replaced by music using YouTube's audio-replacement feature.)

[noembed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvJEaAYSp9k[/noembed]

With that I'll leave things where they are, and won't get too deeply into speculation, but I'm certainly not against pointing people to evidence that's in the public record so that they can judge for themselves...
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Simpsons99

« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2013, 10:41:59 pm »
I would remove both scores and make them both play again .    If so many people are having problems with scores and if they really happened or not.

I get alot of Flake for my DKJR So i can understand what is going on here.  But not everything has to do with TG .  Or to have a game  recorded  to get a score confirmed..

corey.chambers

« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2013, 11:11:21 pm »
Neither Steve Wag nor Ben M.'s scores meet your original criteria.  Ironically Ben's 971K game meets your added criteria (video shows entering of initials, restart showing 3 men, and a reboot) but Steve's still does not, yet we are accepting Steve's score because it is generally accepted and rejecting Ben's because he is not known by our community.  If we are going to be subjective about it (that's fine by me), then we should just admit that it is a subjective list.  If we are going to try to be objective, then Ben's score should be added and Steve's removed.  I'm not picking on Wag, just pointing out the flaws in this list.  I know Wag will get 1M once he tries anyway.

A lot of people on this forum have not met Ben or seen him play which is why we are excluding him.  Those who were at KO1 saw him play.  I have no doubt his scores are real (subjectively speaking).  For what it's worth, he had the highest wildcard score at KO1; he has an externally recorded video of his end game (with audio) showing all the crucial components of verification.

Keep in mind no one saw Steve Wiebe play until Funspot.  He was doubted because he was not known.  I think we are just as guilty as Brian Kuh, Walter Day and Robert M. in KoK by excluding Ben.  Things like this give people the impression that we are an exclusive clique of jocks.  That's my opinion.

Thanks Hank for pointing that out to me. I take personal responsibility for the delay. I have been the primary one adding scores to the list. I think that Jeff added a few but besides that every edit has been my own. If you have any concerns they address me primarily to which I now give a full response. I had watched Ben's videos before and for some reason I missed the restart showing the 3 lives setting. That is probably owing to the fact that I saw them before someone mentioned the 3 lives setting issue. So I had not yet gone back after the added criteria to re-evaluate the videos. The whole point of the added criteria was to accommodate for additional means of verification such as was done in the videos that you presented in your post.

I personally do not know either Ben or Steve so I hope no one thought that I was accepting Steve's score for any subjective reason, in fact, I was attempting to find out why he was on the score board, which I hope is clear from my posts. It is my desire to avoid all subjectivity.

As a result of this clarifying information I will be adding Ben's score and will be removing Steve's. We have Ben's score verified now that fits the criteria with the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1ZdnYnZQMcg#!

I am not satisfied with any subjectivity based upon how well known someone is. There are many others with higher scores that are just as well known that are not on the list. With all due respect. As I said before, I want to be consistent with this. No matter what. Sorry for taking so long to settle this issue. I had to think through it a little more before coming to a conclusion. We should do no less to ensure that we have a great list in the making. Thanks for all your scores, and I hope to see you surpass them in due time.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:18:43 pm by corey.chambers »

hchien

« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2013, 11:46:33 pm »
Thanks for doing the right thing.

Sorry Wag.  I know you'll kick the crap out of your old score anyway.

"It's not easy being the scorekeeper you know" - Walter Day

corey.chambers

« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2013, 11:55:55 pm »
Thanks, Hank. I am all about the right thing! I hope I do well for all of you. It is a promise. :)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2013, 11:59:42 pm »
"It's not easy being the scorekeeper you know" - Walter Day

This is one of the reasons I was reluctant to start the "DK community" scoreboard, and put it off.

No matter what you do, it draws controversy.

Good luck, Corey!

Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

corey.chambers

« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2013, 12:10:35 am »
Thanks, Chris. Didn't you have a higher score than what is presently on the list? I think I can handle the job. I hope no one gets upset with anything I do or say. I think I have explained myself rather well in all my posts to give people a clear picture of what I envision for the list. I thank Hank for keeping the info in front of me, and all the input that people have given that has given shape to the present criteria. I will keep the list honest. If I miss something, which I had done in the case of Ben and Steve, then I know that you guys will keep it in the forefront. Like I said, this list belongs to the community and I will ensure that it continues to serve it well. As long as there is a set criteria, and as long as it is followed consistently, I don't see how anyone can be upset. I think people understand why it can't be more lenient than it is if it is going to be relevant.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2013, 12:20:55 am »
I actually have two scores higher than the 849,800 one on the list. As busy as this thread is, you might have missed it, but I mentioned earlier that I'm not going to bother uploading the recording of my personal best just to get a bump-up on the list. Plus, I'd actually rather the 849 one sit there as motivation to get a 1M score.

As for Ben Mazowita, after watching this clip, I think I'm ready to believe any score he reports:
Donkey Kong Skills

corey.chambers

« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2013, 12:43:03 am »
Congratulations to Shane Mosher for his new personal best of 300,300 done live this evening on Twitch. See video starting at 2hr 54m 10s till the end. http://www.twitch.tv/shane_nc/b/395355520 

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2013, 01:50:09 am »
Thanks Corey!

The game lasted 45 minutes and I lost my last life on 9-6. I did not point press a single rivet screen, just running the boards.
HIGH SCORES:
Donkey Kong Arcade: 865,900 22-1 KS
1-1: 11,300
Donkey Kong Junior MAME: 599,300 22-1 KS
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2013, 06:16:49 am »

Looking back I can only imagine what was said about my first KS video:

I'm sorry, who are you again?

Oh wait, is this Mister Fumble-Fingers-Dead-Battery guy?

Yeah, I remember you.   ;)

Hopefully i've proven myself since then...but I wouldn't blame anyone for calling me a fake back then, haha.

I have no doubt that your 914,700 quasi-killscreen score is legit, Mike.  You've already achieved at least 2 arcade scores that are in the general ballpark:  829,100 (TG verified) and 860,200 (WCR #1).  Obviously, the 914k recording does not meet TG standards.  But our list is unofficial, a fun and informal way of comparing our DK scores to others in the community.

I, for one, vote in favor of Corey updating the list to reflect your "true" personal best.

Haha, nice Scott.

Actually my true personal best is 923,300, achieved just before the KO2 cutoff date, which was a 1M pace score I goofed up close to the end (have the whole game plus pre-recording steps on tape).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WJ7VvY7kMQ

I'm not lobbying to get it on the list or anything, so please don't worry about that.  I stream every game I play now, + record with cam/tripod, so the 1M+ score I put up soon will be the one I care about, and it'll be well documented = )
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:38:02 am by mikegmi2 »
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2013, 06:37:41 am »
Tough break there Mike. For all practical purpuses your score should be up there, guess next time just show the restart, or are you streaming all games now?

I'm sure it will be a pain to have a rank numbers next to all the names on the list given when you insert a new you'd have a lot of work to do.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer