Author Topic: Donkey Kong video help  (Read 4196 times)

Offline Summoningsalt

• Awards
Donkey Kong video help
« on: June 13, 2017, 06:11:14 pm »
Hey everyone,

I'm planning to make a video on youtube about the world record progression for the Donkey Kong high score.  My goal is to make it as accurate as possible, to lay to rest many of the rumors created after The King of Kong. 

My research is mainly being used through these links-
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/donkey-kong-world-record-history.html
http://superbunker.com/resources/dkt/
http://superbunker.com/resources/dkt/robert-mruczek-2008-april-13/

They all contain accounts from those involved with TG and the high score in the early-mid 2000's.  Does anybody here know if these sources would be reliable enough to rely on for a video like this?
Member for 6 Years

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong video help
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 06:20:20 pm »
Chrisp (owner of dkblog) would probably be the most knowledgeable on this subject.

Offline Summoningsalt

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 06:33:04 pm »
Chrisp (owner of dkblog) would probably be the most knowledgeable on this subject.

I've sent him an email as well, hoping he responds soon.
Member for 6 Years

WCopeland

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 08:30:27 pm »
Chris's DK blog is an extremely reliable source of info. I'd trust it as a primary source.

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 11:24:51 pm »
My goal is to make it as accurate as possible, to lay to rest many of the rumors created after The King of Kong. 

Do you plan on looking at combined arcade and emulator scores, or just arcade? Even if you're not going to use the whole history of emulated scores, you should note that there were two periods of time where the highest DK score was actually the emulated score:

1) September 12, 1999 - June 30, 2003

During this time Ben Jos Walbeehm posted MAME scores of 893,400 (9/12/99) and 904,100 (11/30/01). These are the first verified scores to top Billy Mitchell's scores from the 80s, and the first verified score over 900,000. Tim Sczerby beat the arcade record during this period but was short of Walbeehm's scores. Steve Wiebe scored 947,200 on a DDK board on 6/30/03.

2) July 8, 2009 - May 5, 2016

Dean Saglio took the overall lead with a MAME score of 1,051,500 on 7/8/09. While Mitchell, Wiebe, and Hank Chien (and later Robbie Lakeman and Wes Copeland) went back and forth with the arcade record, Dean stayed in front of all them until 5/5/16, when Wes scored 1,218,000. Dean was the first player to score 1.1 million (1,136,400 on 4/19/10) and 1.2 million (1,206,800 on 10/4/13).

All of this means that arcade record holders Tim Sczerby, Hank Chien, and Robbie Lakeman never actually had the highest verified DK score.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 02:14:25 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing this if you get around to making it.  I've seen some of your other speed run history videos and they are really well done.
Member for 7 Years Blogger

Offline Summoningsalt

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 02:04:11 am »
Member for 6 Years

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 08:38:32 am »
Just watched it. I'm new here so can't comment on the accuracy, but it was really well done.  Thanks.

You aught to put a link to this forum in the video notes. :)
Member for 7 Years Blogger

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 10:19:35 am »
I watched it too and thought it was really well done.

It got me pumped up and wanting to play again. And to pick up the remixed version for my machine.
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 05:38:19 pm »
I am a fan of your videos even though I'm not a speed runner.  Great job with the video.  And it's cool that you focused on an Arcade game.  :)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener