Author Topic: What if Wiebe or Mitchell had actually taken Donkey Kong 3 seriously?  (Read 12110 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
One thing I wish had happened was that Mitchell or even Wiebe had taken the game more seriously.  Instead neither one cared about the game, or to be honest even liked the game.  There was an interview where they both basically said they didn't really like the game.  You see what happened with Donkey Kong Junior.  There are players who don't even like the game who have taken the game who tried to become elite players in the game.  I feel a lot of that is because Mitchell, and Wiebe had given their seal of approval for the game by being world record holders on the game.

Had Wiebe or Mitchell gotten the world record in Donkey Kong 3 things would be different.  Not saying that you would have a ton of people having a higher score than Dwayne Richard on Marathon settings, but I do believe that Dwayne would be 5th or 6th by now if it Billy or Steve were record holders at one point in time.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
What would have happened if you had taken Donkey Kong more seriously?
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards

I spent over 400 hours on Donkey Kong.  I'd be happy if Wiebe or Mitchell spent 40 hours on DK3 to be honest.

Edit:  In fact has ANYONE besides myself spent over 400 hours on Donkey Kong 3?  No, and so I am not a hypocrite in this.  Even Ben Falls spent about 200 hours if that.  So yeah you basically have no point.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:32:00 pm by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards

I spent over 400 hours on Donkey Kong.  I'd be happy if Wiebe or Mitchell spent 40 hours on DK3 to be honest.

Edit:  In fact has ANYONE besides myself spent over 400 hours on Donkey Kong 3?  No, and so I am not a hypocrite in this.  Even Ben Falls spent about 200 hours if that.  So yeah you basically have no point.

What exactly was my point? You pondered "more seriously"...not just "seriously." So, I was wondering the same of you. I didn't say you didn't take DK seriously, but 400 hours is pretty laughable anyway. I wondered what would happen if you took it MORE seriously.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
To answer your question then.  If I spent ALL of my gaming time on Donkey Kong.  Over 3500 hours, I doubt I make top 10.  No serious impact is made on the game.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
Quote from: homerwannabee
you basically have no point.

Touché
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Quote from: homerwannabee
you basically have no point.

Touché

My point is clear.  I dare you to watch a high score Donkey Kong Junior game.  Half of it is pretty basic point pressing that can be tedious.  My point is most of the gamers went through that simply because of Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe having been involved in the game.
If DK3 had either Wiebe or Mitchell  playing the game there would be more than me that spent more than 400 hours on the game.
My point is that Mitchell, and Wiebe have a HUGE influence on our hobby.  So much so that they could have even gotten people to play DK3 for hours and hours.  That's a lot of influence.
It's basically a what if post.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 01:14:51 am by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

WCopeland

Billy once held the BurgerTime WR, and that's why that game is so popular among competitive players.

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
You're sure it's not just the fact that DK and DK Jr. were platformers and DK3 was a shooter?

Seems like there's a lot in common between the first two titles (Get to the top, jumping stuff and thinking); DK3 is just a shooter.

Perhaps  <Wiebe> <Billy> just had their fill of shooters.

Perhaps.
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
You're sure it's not just the fact that DK and DK Jr. were platformers and DK3 was a shooter?

Seems like there's a lot in common between the first two titles (Get to the top, jumping stuff and thinking); DK3 is just a shooter.

Perhaps  <Wiebe> <Billy> just had their fill of shooters.

Perhaps.

No, Billy and Steve think the game sucks (Of course some will agree with this assessment).  It's not about their fill of shooters.  They simply don't like the game. LOL

Edit: Didn't know about Mitchell having the Burgertime record, or I forgot.  Interesting.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
Re: What if Wiebe or Mitchell had actually taken Donkey Kong 3 seriously?
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 12:13:30 pm »

"...They simply don't like the game..."

Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Perhaps.

There's heaps and heaps of better shooters out there, it has nothing to do with "  <Billy> & <Wiebe> " ; It's safe to assume you suffer from some rather extreme "investment bias" (regret aversion), among other things.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:15:17 pm by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 12:54:55 pm »

"...They simply don't like the game..."

Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Perhaps.

There's heaps and heaps of better shooters out there, it has nothing to do with "  <Billy> & <Wiebe> " ; It's safe to assume you suffer from some rather extreme "investment bias" (regret aversion), among other things.
Yeah, you might be right.  There is still a decent chance that even if they liked the game somewhat they wouldn't have gone for the record.  A good example is Jr. Pac-man or Super Pac-man.  Billy could have easily gone for that as well, but I think he may actually like those games.  Maybe another reason is they don't want too much on their plate when going for records?

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline HugDD

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 08:44:55 pm »

What if they'd taken Galaga seriously, as this beautiful interviewer asks Wiebe around the three minute mark:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9O0s_bV0dI;)

Obviously you're very biased when it comes to Donkey Kong 3, George, it's your favorite game, and you've perhaps put in more time into it than any other human being.  It helps that you have the knack for it!  I can't say that about any classic arcade game I've gotten skilled at, just much practice.  Video game documentaries have helped the classics subculture, and that's cool, but no game is going to be uber popular unless it reaches the masses as King of Kong has, and so, that goes for DK3.  Nibbler is fairly popular and more folks have been exposed to it in recent times, thanks in part to Man vs. Snake, but I don't think it's as well known as KoK.  Personally, I'd love to see Missile Command gain more popularity, it's such a brutal, enjoyable classic, and makes for an excellent two player game (even though two can't play simultaneously, players only have to wait 'til the other clears a stage, instead of losing lives like in other games).  I'm also a huge fan of High Score and have much respect for Bill Carlton!  :P

-Duc
My best streamed Centipede game https://www.twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade/v/51955812 -786k

I guess it's about trying to live a life where I'm not contributing to the cruelty in the world...While I am on this planet, I want everyone I meet to know that I am grateful they are here - Jessica Chastain
Member for 8 Years

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 01:09:14 pm »
DK3 is just a shooter.

Da ddkkkkk  :o

Kappa
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer