Author Topic: Lakeman pie split vs normal method (100 boards)  (Read 10775 times)

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Lakeman pie split vs normal method (100 boards)
« on: May 01, 2017, 04:21:01 am »
http://imgur.com/a/59cqz

I wanted to get an idea of which scores higher,
Lakemans tactic of splitting (running right immediately as the board starts)
or waiting left of the oil can to spawn all fireballs on the left (allowing for potential free pass).  (((<Pigger>)))

Using columns "A" trough "F" I kept track of the following:

A: split with hammer aka lakeman split.

B: This is what was left on the bonus timer upon completion of the board (I wanted to seperate points scored and bonus timer points as this give a better indication as to where the points are coming from, on the far right of the sheet you can see the TOTAL which is points scored + the bonus timer points added).

C: Non-split with hammer grab, this is where I waited left of the oil can but had to grab the hammer for defence or in other words the free pass never materialized.

D: Same as "B".

E: Non-split and no hammer grab which is esentialy the free pass for the most part but also includes times when the fireballs ran me off the bottom hammer.

after doing 100 boards using the normal method and then another 100 boards using Robbies method I saw an increase of 762 points per pie board, (Don't ask me where that 62 came from, I didn't understand this maths shit in school and I'm certainly not going to try figure it out now).

In the total columns on the right of the sheet I lumped non-split w/ hammer and non-split w/o hammer together since thats how you would play anyway, a mixture of free passes and defensive hammer grabs.

also of interest, specifically out of the normal method data the free pass occurred 56 times versus 44 defensive hammer grabs. the save states I used were from the board before and I made sure to finish the board at differnt points during the 000 count down period as best I could.

I don't keep track of deaths during these fings so it's entirley possible that free passes simply won out because I survived more of them? but for the most part deaths were pretty minimal  8)

I'm also pretty sure I had less deaths from the Luckman strat than the normal strat. This is probably due to..at least for the normal method, being lulled into a seemingly safe free pass only to be rushed or trapped by the fire, whereas by grabbing the hammer every time I found myself not making as many irrational snap decisions but of course each player will have differing results.

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: Lakeman pie split vs normal method (100 boards)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 04:30:56 am »
omg chaaaaaaaart  Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm

I had looked at this awhile back, but not nearly this deep.  I think I only looked at a couple of games...maybe 25 or so actual pie factories. So, not enough to get any solid answers, but I had a feeling (mood?) that the Lakeman split would get you more points overall.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 01:32:09 pm »
Great info, Adam.  The included graphics alone make the chart worth looking at.  :P
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 01:37:10 pm »
Finally - one of my biggest questions, answered.  For most of you, getting nearly 800 points per pie board is probably worth it.  For someone who is still stuck at 400k, the risk/reward isn't worth it, not yet.  After I KS it and start working up to 900k, that would be a good chunk of points.

More charts!
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 12:22:00 am »
More interesting developments...  <Walter>
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 02:33:00 am »
This is good stuff

Would you say you were overly-aggressive after taking the hammer after splitting, in climbing the final ladders? Something that may occur due to playing from save-states rather than a real game. This would artificially inflate your bonus timer points and may cause the overall average to be higher.
I feel the difference in psychology would cause you to be more cautious in an actual attempt. I guess this is true for the rest of the game too

I like this though Kreygasm. If (when) I Sizzle the Sizzlerâ„¢, I would like to give this a try.

:)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:35:38 am by Barra »
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 11:05:17 am »

Would you say you were overly-aggressive...

Is there any other way to play?  8)

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 01:46:23 pm »
...Sizzle the Sizzlerâ„¢...

Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 07:57:17 am »
This is good stuff

Would you say you were overly-aggressive after taking the hammer after splitting, in climbing the final ladders? Something that may occur due to playing from save-states rather than a real game. This would artificially inflate your bonus timer points and may cause the overall average to be higher.
I feel the difference in psychology would cause you to be more cautious in an actual attempt. I guess this is true for the rest of the game too

I like this though Kreygasm. If (when) I Sizzle the Sizzlerâ„¢, I would like to give this a try.

Shouldn't that apply equally with the free passes too, since it's save states?

Also, when looking at the merits of strategies, it's best to eliminate psychology as a factor. That would apply differently to each person anyhow. I panic a hell of a lot more on rivet than pie in general, but for all we know that could just be me.
Member for 7 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer