Author Topic: Donkey Kong Wiki Revisited  (Read 2826 times)

DonkeyKongGenius

Donkey Kong Wiki Revisited
« on: April 02, 2017, 04:11:33 pm »
I will not be renewing my website devoted to Donkey Kong, Jr, Mario Bros, player pages, etc. There hasn't been much interest in the site for the purpose for which it was made - for the Donkey Kong Community. I have no ill feelings concerning the project, it has been a huge learning experience both in code and in assessing what interests people. If anyone is interested in owning the content, changing it, and making it their own, I would be more than willing to relinquish any and all claim to its contents. It has been about $6 a month through Nixihost for server space, and can be placed on any url once it is owned, costs may vary for url depending on who you go through I am sure. I used NameCheap and pay $13.02 a year for the url and something called WhoIsGuard. My Donkeykonggenius.com url is owned by me until July 20th, 2017, that will be the final date of this project. Here is the direct link to the content on the site: http://wiki.donkeykonggenius.com/Main_Page

Once again, if anyone is interested I am sure it would not be too difficult to move everything over to another server under another url. Unless anyone is interested then this content will only be avaliable until July 20th, 2017. I am hoping this content can be useful to someone within the community, if not, then that is ok too. PS. Twitch has changed how they allow videos to be embedded in the site so those will need to be updated for them to show up going forward.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Wiki Revisited
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 06:35:13 pm »
I would be interested in taking over the wiki if no one who is perhaps more learned than me (e.g. Jeff? Wes?) doesn't want to do so. I have a pretty busy April month here, but after that I'll definitely be able to contact you before July 20th if no one else has yet.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

DonkeyKongGenius

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:27:56 am »
Thanks Mitch, I am willing to help you understand the mediawiki platform, and I am sure there is a quick and easy way to transfer everything. If you use nixihost I am sure that would make it easier.

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 12:47:45 pm »
I'll pay the hosting fees for the next 2 years.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 02:41:33 am »
If it is ok with you, Corey, I'd also be willing to contribute to hosting costs if it means things can just stay how they are. If there are no objections, it seems that would at least be easiest/simplest.

If not, I'm sure we can figure out something else (e.g. you getting me up to speed on your setup).
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

DonkeyKongGenius

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 04:50:19 pm »
Wow! Yeah, we can do it any way you guys would like. It would be easier to keep it where it is at but it remains available for anyone who wishes to own it. Everything is set up through my paypal account which is linked on my stream at https://www.twitch.tv/clchambers00 I don't want to link it here because I did not make my original post to procure funds or to complain. If the wiki is useful, and everyone wants to keep and use it and wants to fund it then I would be willing to make things easy and just keep the setup as it is. I just wanted everyone to know that I was not going to fund it any further and was finished with the project in case anyone is interested. I hope that came through. I would be willing to pay for the url since that is unique to me and I don't expect anyone to pay for it. As for the hosting it is $72 a year to keep the content on the web. Knowing the cost, and knowing my link to my paypal, please feel free to donate if you wish, but I certain was not posting to procure funds.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:18:30 am by DonkeyKongGenius »

Offline Bounty Bob

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 01:56:41 am »
Your twitch link doesn't work!
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener

DonkeyKongGenius

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 11:19:34 am »
Thanks Bounty Bob! :D I fixed it, the period got mixed into the url, sorry about that. It should be good now.