Author Topic: Rivet Stage, your plan B Patterns  (Read 9042 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Rivet Stage, your plan B Patterns
« on: March 25, 2013, 05:53:11 am »
As we all know from time to time the star pattern breaks down, and we are left with having to resort to other methods.  Sometimes we are forced to go with freestyle, but at other times there is another pattern that can be used.

For instance, here is a common pattern I use in certain situations.   I have just cleared the top 2 rivets on the left side, and I see the fireball is climbing up the ladder, and is blocking my path to the bottom hammer.   If the top hammer is accessible I then use a pattern I call the Loopty loop pattern.   What this means is I grab the top hammer, and after I am done killing the firefoxes I then get the top two right side rivets, and then go down, and clear the bottom two rivets, and then finally I clear the last remaining rivet on the left side.  I call it the Loopty loop pattern is because Mario is making two different loops.   A loop on the top right side, and a loop on the bottom right side before finally finishing off the final left side rivet.

So does anyone have any other go to rivet patterns they use when the Star Pattern falls apart?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:59:19 pm by JCHarrist »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Rivet Stage, your plan B Patterns
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 12:20:30 am »
Basically there are two feasible options if the Star Pattern falls apart where you described:

1) Be persistent with trying to get the bottom hammer. Try to stand on the top-left inside ladder (or just anyplace that is above the fireball) to get the fireball on the far left to climb up, or hang out below/near the top hammer (if it is open) for safety while you just wait.

2) Just immediately ditch out and go with some form of the Staal Pattern (any pattern when you skip the bottom hammer and grab the top one first after having gotten the first 3 rivets in the Star Pattern).

I tend to generally use the first option. I used to always only go with the 2nd option, until one day I decided to just force myself to only use the 1st one for practice. After a while I noticed that, in most cases, really trying to go for the bottom hammer as your first priority isn't all that risky, since fireballs tend to the right and will therefore usually leave you alone long enough for you to get a feel as to whether or not being persistent for the bottom hammer will likely end up good or bad. I also find that most of the time you actually end up being able to get back down to the bottom hammer, so that obviously makes the rest of the screen go more smoothly.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 05:30:49 am »
I always improvise when the main pattern is blocked.  Generally speaking I look for top clear opportunities where your real estate is lacking.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

lakeman421

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:25:04 am »
There are many different ways for me to play the rivet stages if the first option is blocked.  I will try to wait it out as long as I can to still be able to grab the bottom hammer.  Other times I clear the top left rivets and go down the middle ladder and just try to clear any rivets that I can, just to make some kind of progress in the level.  I just improvise and if anyone watches my games it can end up with me using some really odd patterns just to beat the level.  Then my very last option would be the Staal Pattern if I cant wait it out to grab the bottom hammer and there are no other ladders or openings for me to go down.  I would only use the Staal Pattern if there is no other option just to survive at the present moment.  Sometimes you get lucky and they spawn and go up the top left giving you the opening to clear the last rivet by the bottom hammer.

RogerChampagne

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 07:21:24 am »
I find if the star pattern is blocked after clearing the first three rivets just to improvise or grab the top hammer,  you can wait it out for a little while but if its not looking good get the heck out of there. Its very easy to get trapped after level 4 just seems better to move on and freestyle usualy works out.  Sometimes ill grab the top hammer and stay to the left of the center ladder and kill the ones blocking me then grab the bottom hammer and work my way to the right you will get to know the scenarios on what you should do the more you play.  Have fun and dont get discouraged its always crappy before you see the rainbow :)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 01:34:35 pm »
I am the best overall seer of rainbows after crappiness.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 04:41:36 pm »
Haha, I just saw this one of Colman's videos! (an interesting rivet escape/plan B pattern):

http://www.twitch.tv/intruderalert/c/1891840

This video also features the 'Kong Jump' (hmm, that has a nice ring to it...maybe I should add it to the DK terms thread...) twice in a row! I know several people were talking about this technique in another thread quite recently.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 05:00:56 pm »
This video also features the 'Kong Jump' (hmm, that has a nice ring to it...maybe I should add it to the DK terms thread...) twice in a row! I know several people were talking about this technique in another thread quite recently.

He didn't have much time to get into position for that 2nd jump, either.  Nice execution!

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer