Author Topic: Thoughts from Kong Off 5 - mostly from the finals  (Read 7197 times)

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
Thoughts from Kong Off 5 - mostly from the finals
« on: July 31, 2016, 02:35:30 pm »
1. I get the sense that people think grouping is far more dangerous than grabbing the bottom hammer. I don't agree, based on my personal deaths, but maybe if I were better the bottom hammer would be more consistently safe and the grouping would be about the same as it is now? I don't know. This came up a lot in commentary during earlier rounds.

2. Robbie skipping the umbrella on the pie factory more than once has me wondering if he's really that good to know that the grab will miss the window for taking the top ladder up and yield a net loss of points. That's basically telling me that he knows within a few frames when the top ladder will descend, and also that he somehow knows whether or not he'll get delayed by a pie on the 4th girder. If so, this is amazing.

3. Wes hitting that last top right rivet near the end of his game with 000 on the timer and the freezer moving at the last possible instant was incredible. That was a "holy shit" moment that reminded me of the "Daigo full parry" in a Street Fighter tournament some years ago.

4. Robbie showed that with persistence and fighting through ridiculous luck on rivet boards you can still score damn near 1.1M. I doubt many have survived that many screwings.

5. Vertical jumps with split barrels are HARD. You need to be frame perfect, and I'm not convinced that Wes' penultimate death was even a makable jump. He may have needed to wall jump that one and hope for the fireball to stay down.

All in all, it was a tremendous final and we got to see nearly 2 complete games of all out point pressing at the same time.
Member for 7 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Thoughts from Kong Off 5 - mostly from the finals
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 04:21:05 pm »
That final was f'n EPIC. Ross and I watched it on our way back from Seattle. Great games and great expert commentary. The streaming coverage in general over the course of the tournament was excellent.

Good work everyone and Congrats to Robbie (who I had picked to win it all, sorry Wes) for putting everyone in the DK community on notice. If you wanna compete with these kids you gotta bring your A game!

-Ken
Member for 11 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Thoughts from Kong Off 5 - mostly from the finals
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 04:49:24 pm »
Vertical jumps with split barrels are HARD. You need to be frame perfect, and I'm not convinced that Wes' penultimate death was even a makable jump. He may have needed to wall jump that one and hope for the fireball to stay down.

I don't think a wall jump was entirely necessary there, but it was definitely one of the better options.  That spacing was ugly and likely the product of Wes intentionally grouping the lead set of barrels and then being taken off guard by the self-steered trailing barrel.  It was an unfortunate and pretty rare circumstance.

Wes's last death, however, was completely avoidable, though  <Allen> would be proud. <3 Kappa

Amazing stuff guys, all around.  Last quarter taking down the high score portion and an epic final battle that nearly saw two side by side 1.1s....  DK competition is stronger than ever.

That finals match made the drive down from Seattle fly by:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 05:04:56 pm by VON »
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK 1.1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer Blogger Wildcard Rematch Champion DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - MAME