Author Topic: Retropie DK sound issue  (Read 13962 times)

zaxx

Retropie DK sound issue
« on: July 28, 2016, 10:52:17 pm »
So I've recently built my own custom Retropie cabinet and got DK installed and ready to play.  Everything seems the same (or at least very similar) to playing on an original DK cabinet except some of the sounds are missing.  I know the sound of all the walking/jumping probably drives a lot of people crazy, but I'd really like the experience of playing on my own cabinet to be as close to the real thing as possible.  Is there a specific ROM and/or emulator or setting somewhere that I can use in order to get the game as close to the original as possible?

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: Retropie DK sound issue
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 11:06:27 pm »
If you're using a version of MAME older than 0.116, then you'll also need the sound sample files for DK.

Twisty's MAME Samples > Older Samples
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

zaxx

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 12:32:20 am »
Thank you so much.  This is exactly what I was looking for!

A_D_BLAIR

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 09:51:22 am »
I found this link for a complete collection of sound samples for mame4all for the PI.

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,2511

I've yet to figure out placing them properly though:/ ... If you can figure it out please share the process.

zaxx

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 10:05:36 am »
I couldn't find a guide or anything about how to do it either, so I just started trying different things.  And it's so easy, that I'm almost embarrassed that it took me about an hour to figure out on my own.

To start out, you'll need two zip files.  One is the ROM, and the other will contain the audio files.  These need to have the exact same filename (ie. dkong.zip)

Now browse to the folder where your ROMs are located.  Your ROM zip file should obviously go there.  There should also be a folder named "Samples".  That is where your zip file with the audio files should go.

That's it.  You should be able to load up the ROM and have the additional sounds.

LD

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 01:02:26 pm »
Glad you figured it out.  I had the same issue when I downloaded wolf mame.  I started play dk and then realized no sound for running or jumping.  Quick look for sound files and bingo there it was.  Put in samples and all is good.