Author Topic: Mortal Kombat Discussion  (Read 4208 times)

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Mortal Kombat Discussion
« on: July 04, 2016, 05:16:19 pm »
Thread for Mortal Kombat strategy and tips.

Chosen by: Twin Galaxies

To adjust the soft DIPs and record an INP: At the initial error screen, press any button to continue. If you get the “Midway Presents” screen then press F2 to access the Test Menu. Otherwise, you’ll go directly to the Test Menu. Select “Game Adjustment” and change the Free Play and Computer Difficulty as needed. Press F2 again to exit the Test Menu and start your game. Do NOT press F3 or otherwise reset MAME after these steps.

Soft DIPs
Free Play: No
Computer Difficulty: 5 – Very Hard

Hard DIPs
Service Mode (WolfMAME 175): Off
Test Switch: Off
Counters: Two
Coinage: USA-1
Coinage Source: CMOS
Skip Post Test: On
All Unused: Off
Attract Sound: On
Low Blows: On
Blood: On
Violence: On
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
Re: Mortal Kombat Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 07:42:57 am »
Well its been a while and I don't think I've played this latest 5.0 T-Unit Rom or whatever but what I know of the game.

POINTS. Weird this game never uses points for anything high score wise but hey we're playing for points.  Kreygasm

1. Double Flawless - This is where most of your points will come from. First Flawless is 200,000. SECOND is 500,000. (Note you can still get hit in a round and die. It still counts as a DF if you just win both without taking damage.)

Simple way to get them (Which isn't exactly so simple but can be done) it just jump kicking with Cage or use Sub Zero. I'll play tonight and you can see or just watch BBH or another video. Sometimes with folks like Kano/Raiden do the jump kick, IMMEDIATELY throw Cages fireball and 9 out of 10 time the computer will launch his projectile. You can then just jump kick over it. Rinse repeat. (You jump in kick, jump back throw fireball, jump in kick, etc, etc. Or simply jump in kick, jump back until you are FAR away and jump kick back in)

2. Fatalities - Worth 100,000 points so executing them each time is vital as well.  Cage is probably the easiest fatality in the game too. SUPER simple... Stand right next to them and F, F, F, HP. Sub-Zero is the second simplest. stand next to them and F, D, F, HP

3. If the jump kick misses you can do a quick jump low punch (I believe its LP) with cage and it will knock them back so yuo can get out of the corner when they block it. You will almost certainly lose the flawless victory but can still win quickly.

4. You get points for time left (1,000 per remaining ticker so 63 = 63,000). You also get points for health so jump kick, etc works pretty well.

5. If you are close when the kick lands you can do Cages "Shadow Kick" combo for extra damage. (B, F, LK)

6. Do the shadow kick or freeze on the 2nd person who enters the match in the endurance rounds. They pause so its guaranteed to hit.

7. Breaking stuff just smash the buttons and hit block above the line. There is a Ruby and a Diamond to break as well but do not show up in single player game. Make sure to get all of the breaks as they are worth a ton of points. 100,000 for wood, 200,000 for stone and 500,000 for steel.

8. Pretty much it plenty of strat guides and videos so just go for it and good luck all!
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 02:13:08 pm »
OK, so I knew before this started this would be a struggle.  I've actually never played MK or Street Fighter.  I loathe fighting games.  I watched Barra just flip the switch and get 1.4 million on MK just using JK.  Can someone tell me which kick??  Just the stick and button combo would be appreciated.  When do I time the actual kick - at the height of the jump, or by proximity to the enemy?
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 05:58:17 pm »
Here is what i did to get 8 million (I really think I can beat the Innuendo score at this point but its only 4 points so got plenty of other things to play).

Here is a video of my 8 million
http://www.twitch.tv/danman123456/v/77211075

Flawless Victories are the way to get a ton of points (Really the only way).
Johnny Cage Fatality - Stand Close and just press F, F, F, HP. Just spam forward a bunch of times and then hit HP. Its 100,000 points and SUPER easy to do.

To use the "Jump Kick" strat.

1. Start the round by jumping backwards. Walk backwards a split second before you jump and make sure Scorpion, Sub Zero don't launch projectile. If they do duck immediately (or at least press block). Also duck or block if Kang does his Flying Kick or Raiden does his torpedo move.
2. The goal is to get a entire screen distance between you and them.
3. Once a full screen away (It takes a few jumps backwards) wait for them to walk forward a step and then jump forward and you can either HK or LK. I press it just before the top of the jump. It will connect most of the time.
4. If it connects you than do the following. Either walk back to almost the edge of the screen or "jump" back to the far edge.
5. After they stand up proceed to jump again right as they start moving towards you. Kano or Raiden will likely torpedo / ball you. Just jump kick them again immediately in the opposite direction.
6. If you do this on a Sonya, Scorpion, Sub-zero start you can get at least one double flawless from Sonya and the odds are good to get at least 1 flawless on the other two. That is worth a good 1.5 - 2 million
7. If they block the kick this is where it gets fun. You need to jump back but will likely get frozen or speared. Just try and get a screen away and jump kick them to oblivion :)
8. You can do the jump forward and then hp combo over and over and over and over. ITs timing is super tricky. Basically they block. You wait for them to start lowering there hands and when about halfway down jump / hp again. If you start this on the far left of the map you will kill them by the time they get all the way to the right (Check the video to see what I'm talking about).
If you can get a few jump back / HP head punches in and do this its almost a guaranteed flawless but the timing is very precise.
9. Liu Kang you can kill with nothing but jump back / HP after jumping when he is close to you. Just make sure to DUCK immediately after doing it so he doesnt hit you with his flying kick or fireball.
10. If you get close you can block and immediately shadow kick (B,F,LK) and hit most of time too. This will work if you just want to win the matches without flawless.

The strats I use:

1. Any character except Sonya duck at the start. Sonya you can jump back immediately and just jump kick away for almost a guaranteed double flawless. If you don't its almost worth a restart as she is the EASIEST to get a DF on. Just make sure she is one of the first 3 people you fight. If she blocks your jump kick just jump back and if she fires jump kick in again. If not just jump back again to get full screen away. If you are "far" away (you will know) just hit LK or HK when you almost hit her. (Otherwise it will come up short)
2. This works great for everyone but Raiden who can "Torpedo" you if he decides too but he hardly ever opens with that move.
3. You can time a "jump back" punch by jumping backwards and then hitting HP (or LP) AFTER you jump when they are just about a step away from you. This hits them in the head. I duck down immediately after doing this.
4. After hitting them 2 times with this move just UP+F, HP into oblivion. Endurance round you can generally shadow kick the 2nd person who comes in as well.
5. Goro you can UP+F,HP to death but the DF  jump kick will work with him as well. I lost 1.2 million at the end just beating the game since I knew I couldnt get 10 million at that point.

Good luck everyone!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 06:03:27 pm by danman123456 »
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger