Author Topic: Big Kong Discussion  (Read 5915 times)

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Big Kong Discussion
« on: June 24, 2016, 04:53:49 pm »
Thread for Big Kong strategy and tips.

Chosen by: Donkey Kong Forum

ROMset: bigkong (requires parent ckong)
Lives: 3
Bonus Life: 7000
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:04:32 pm by xelnia »
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Big Kong Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 06:23:50 pm »
Would love to see if there is any rhyme or reason with the barrel direction in this sadistic "game".  I seem to have plateaued at L5. 
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 06:32:49 pm »
Would love to see if there is any rhyme or reason with the barrel direction in this sadistic "game".  I seem to have plateaued at L5.

Cheap way to pass this board is use the floor skip (same as CK)
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 07:26:25 pm »

Yes, if i could pull that off, you'd be correct sir.   FailFish

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 07:50:28 pm »

Yes, if i could pull that off, you'd be correct sir.   FailFish

:D
I'll do up a pic to show you where to stand. If you position yourself correctly theres no reason you shouldn't get it at least 90% of the time.

Basically you want the back half of his foot to be directly above the top of the triangle in the girder, as shown by the yellow line here:

Technically, the only variable is how many pixels forward you move before you jump, and so you'll need to practice pressing jump+right at the exact same time. Do it a few times and you'll get a feel for it.
Also, if Jumpman's feet aren't in the stationary position like the picture, just jump once and he'll land like that.

You have plenty of time to get it lined up right, and eventually the only thing that kills you is if you rush.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 08:01:22 pm by Barra »
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 08:02:01 pm »
Is it supposed to start off on a pie stage? and that barrel board good lord...wtf did we pick  <gasp>

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 08:04:46 pm »
Is it supposed to start off on a pie stage? and that barrel board good lord...wtf did we pick  <gasp>

Haha yes it is. A great game that we should be 5/5 on :)
Serphy loves it I reckon

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 08:11:34 pm »
thanks for the pic, that'll help.  I was trying moves and positions all day and never got it once.

I think we will end up 5/5, or 4/5 at worst.  The other boards are pieces of cake if you've played Crazy Kong before.

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 08:16:16 pm »
GOT IT, Phil.  GOT IT.  Thanks, Andrew.  8 out of first 10 tries. 

Basically you want the back half of his foot to be directly above the top of the triangle in the girder, as shown by the yellow line here:

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 08:23:23 pm by krehztim »

Offline kalel

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 06:20:25 pm »
what will be a top 5 score on this ?  and what score should shoot for !
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 06:50:02 pm »
what will be a top 5 score on this ?  and what score should shoot for !

Top 2 scores on MARP are Serphy with 434k and myself with 264k
Other than that I think only Dean has played it a bunch, but hes not signed up unfortunately.

I'd say 200k would be a safe top 5 score. Best to shoot for 300k

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 09:05:24 am »
Any timing suggestions on the middle elevator, on the spring level?  I'm getting it about 2/4 of the time, but that's not going to cut it.  I hit 120k last night, and that was about my 10th game overall.

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 04:32:28 am »
Any timing suggestions on the middle elevator, on the spring level?  I'm getting it about 2/4 of the time, but that's not going to cut it.  I hit 120k last night, and that was about my 10th game overall.

Save state it a bunch of times. Thats what I did. I try and jump from as far left as possible. No advantage really but thats what I feel comfortable with.
Try to ignore the fireball. If he comes down, he comes down and you're screwed. Not much you can do about it.

This may not be a game you have to grind, Tim. Being the DKF team theres a whole bunch of great DK players who will pick up this game with ease, should they choose to (which they better <mad>)

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 03:17:00 pm »
So I've got the elevator timing down pat now.  Pretty much when it lines up with that top middle platform.  It's the fireball that's just hit or miss.  All of my deaths are that fireball.