Author Topic: Lvl 5 Spring 100 board analyisis  (Read 22692 times)

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Lvl 5 Spring 100 board analyisis
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 12:49:20 pm »
The deal with the quick grab in the beginning is that it is a matter of perception.  Believe it or not, if you "read" the fireball incorrectly during the initial jump, you will almost certainly reach a point of no return.  Now, if you examine the fireball movement patterns before your jump, you can attempt to guess how the fireball will react when you jump off the platform.  However, for just gaining a decent amount of points while keeping risk to a minimum, I think no quick grab is the way to go for early learning of the optimal elevator strategy.

There is a new technique where you can jump onto the platform and backjump back onto the elevator if the fireball decides to come down in the ultra-tricky timing. It is frame perfect, and while I've got it down reasonably in practice I haven't demonstrated it in a real game yet.

Are you referring to the "drop down" move/ back jump, or somthing different?

! No longer available

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 01:28:33 pm »
Adam, Wes is talking about jumping back to the center Island, back off of the decending platform, it is only useful when the fireball instantly climbs the right ladder.

Wes, I have pulled this maneuver a few times over the years, and I know I saw you do it recently (on the 1.1902+ quest); you have indeed demonstrated it, and I'm not certain it's a new tactic, just not used.

EDIT: IMAGE

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:33:19 pm by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 01:33:56 pm »
Are you referring to the "drop down" move/ back jump, or somthing different?

Wes will correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe he's referring to a move where the player jumps onto the up elevator and then jumps to the lower platform where the prize (hat) is located.  The fireball quickly descends the long ladder on the left.  There is no chance of grabbing the prize (without dying), but there is just enough time to jump from the lower platform back onto the up elevator.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 01:35:52 pm »
Ok, I just re-read Wes' post after reading Scotts post :D

I believe I mis-read Wes' post, Scott got the gist of it (seemingly)...

So, Wes probably hasn't demonstrated it yet  ::)  FailFish

The hard part about this "jump-back" which makes it "frame perfect"  is the dead frame when you land (tailboner sprite), basically, you only have 2-3 frames to jump back, and the first frame is dead, so if you push jump "too soon", you wont jump, and if you're too late, the fireball gets you, or you don't make the platform.  Again, this isn't a new strategy.  In fact, this one was demonstrated on one of Ross' "goofing off" videos (the same place I learned the jump down that Adam showed above)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:40:19 pm by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 01:47:25 pm »
Adam, Wes is talking about jumping back to the center Island, back off of the decending platform, it is only useful when the fireball instantly climbs the right ladder.

Wes, I have pulled this maneuver a few times over the years, and I know I saw you do it recently (on the 1.1902+ quest); you have indeed demonstrated it, and I'm not certain it's a new tactic, just not used.

EDIT: IMAGE

Ahhh ok, yeah this has been around for a long time,

WCopeland

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 01:56:19 pm »
I wasn't aware it was in a Ross goofing off vid, but if so then he gets the credit :D
Yeah it's a little different from the pics shown here.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 01:57:06 pm »
Here is a quick demonstration of what I'm talking about:

https://www.twitch.tv/stella_blue/v/62192898

That's what I thought Wes described, but I may be mistaken.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 01:59:27 pm »
That's pretty close to it, Scott. I think the only difference is I try to land on that platform in a different place so I'm a little further to the left.

edit: And now that I think about it, I'm not sure that makes any difference  <confused>

WCopeland

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2016, 02:04:00 pm »
It has been so long since I've tried it, now I do remember the difference. By standing further to the left, for whatever reason, in the ultra-tight timing I'm referring to you can squeeze 100 points of the fireball from the backjump.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 02:17:49 pm »
Hey Wes,

In stacked form, that row of badges would make for some unique (and dizzying) bathroom tile.

Just a thought.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2016, 02:36:55 pm »
Heres a few extra tidbits for the top right of the springs,
Firstly you can use the 100 sprite when leeching the fireball to locate the "Goldie

locks Zone" (optimum point pressing possistion)..

If you try to fill the 3rd digit (in other words the second zero of the 100 sprite)

with half black background and half red girder you will end up in the perfect spot

to take advantage of the fireball (persistant freezer or otherwise).

even when the fireball freezes on the right side of the girder you can still leech

him from this possistion (with exception to 1 really rare far right freezing spot

iirc)

So when you are lining up to pointpress this is an ideal spot to aim for and you

can use the sprite possistion to tell if you are in it.

See pic below.

One other thing is that after grabbing the top right prize you don't neccisarily

have to wait for a short spring to transistion on in order to score 100 points, you

can transition on long springs too and still score the 100 (from right girder to

left girder) by cutting inside early and scoring the leech from the inside,..I

usually call this "an inside leech"

See vid.

! No longer available

NOTE: sorry for huge pics, not sure how to downscale them on the forum.

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2016, 06:43:32 pm »
dat long leach doe Kreygasm