Author Topic: Wes Copeland Sets a New Arcade World Record: 1,170,500!!!  (Read 18647 times)

Offline jwade614

• Awards
Re: Wes Copeland Sets a New Arcade World Record: 1,170,500!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 10:48:17 pm »
That was some World Class Donkey Kong. Congratulations.
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline diskborste

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 10:57:02 pm »
Wow!! Sacking all three men on the end. That, as they say, is that! Like a boss  <Allen>
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline muscleandfitness

• Pie Kicker
  • Elite Member
  • Wall jump WR Holder x3
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 11:57:06 pm »

Congrats sir.. that has to go down as the best DK game ive ever Witnessed. you are a true Champion sir.. Tears, yer buddy ..omg fttt wht da lit C.ox.. <Allen> <Allen> <Allen> <Roy> <Billy> <Kuh> <Wiebe> <Pigger> <popcorn> <thefinger>
59 wall jumps new world record on mame
55 wall jumps on a cab New World Record
longest convener ride in dk history New World Record
World Record for standing behind oil can until end of lev
A Reverse finish on Rivet  board. 12 ks's HS 992900
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Josephjo

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 12:05:55 am »
Congratulations Wes! Enjoy the moment! You're an engraved part of DK History now.

Been really enjoying both yours and Robbie's streams this DKO. Some of the skills on show are  Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm. Had a feeling the record was going to fall.

Together you are taking DK arcade to another level.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:07:33 am by Josephjo »
" Its not how you play the game but who you have backing up the bullshit."

From The Book Of Sczerby 2:18
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener

Fast Eddie

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 01:16:00 am »
Damn, that is quite outstanding  :) Well done sir!

8)

Offline Svavar

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 02:11:44 am »
Congratulations Wes!!! You are awesome!  <Billy>
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 03:25:48 am »
Damn I missed your game just by a few hours :(

Big Kongrats Wes  :)

Awesome game, can't believe you did 1.126.000 on your first man that's so sick  Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm

Just crazy that your WR only lasted a few hours, oh well you will have the 1 man record for a much longer time no doubt  ;D
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 03:31:32 am »
Congrats Wes.

What a trooper!

That's a well deserved slice of awesome right there!
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 04:49:02 am »
Big Kongrats Wes! This game was absolute beast!!! And it doesn't matter if Robbie dethroned you few hours after, you're a fking Donkey Kong beast and deserve being called the King of Kong!  Kreygasm
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 05:26:55 am »
Excellent job Wes!

Doesn't get much sweeter than a first man 1.1 with all sac's on 21-5.
Huge congrats!

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
  • Mario Bros. Arcade World Record Holder.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 06:34:14 am »
Got em Wes!! Hugs Kongrats my man. EPIC!!
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline MJMeerman

• Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 06:42:33 am »
Lucky game  Enjoy it while it lasts  <stirpot>  Seriously congrats sir!

lmao Robbie what a troll
DK Scores:
Arcade: 396,700 [L11] (6/29/2018)
MAME: 483,300 [L13-4] (9/23/2021)
Start: 111,000 (11/30/2020)
L1-1: 9,700 (4/29/2014)

Crazy Kong: 581,500 [L22-1 KS] (01/31/2021)
Donkey Kong Jr.: 172,400 [L5-4] (12/23/2020)
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline andrewg

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 10:27:13 am »
INSANE! Congrats to both of you. Also I think there should be a forum badge for people who have held the arcade/mame world records, just a thought! :)
There's a Kill Screen Coming Up!
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2015, 03:53:59 am »
Thanks everyone for their kind words.

After I achieved my first kill screen a little under two years ago, I always knew I'd consider pursuing the world record at some point, but I never imagined it would be pushed as high as the 1.17+ range.

There are countless people who helped me get here, and while it's impossible to list them all I would like to list a few in no particular order:
  • Daniel Solis and Michelle Heckman of Z82 Retrocade Arkansas: Came out many nights to work on my janked up cabinet as well as made serious contributions to getting my control panel in shape to help my damaged wrists.
  • Richie Knucklez: Gave me the control panel I used at KO4 which went a long way towards relieving unbearable pain in my left wrist.
  • Jonathan McCourt: First inspired me to take up the game and push my skills to new heights. Iron sharpens iron, and without this initial rivalry I would never have hit 1m in the first place.
  • Vincent Lemay: Indirectly taught me how to play the game not-stupidly from the videos he had posted on YouTube. Most of my basic fundamental mechanics I assimilated from Vince before lifting things off Robbie, Hank, and Dean.
  • Shanoa Miller: For supporting this masochism for the last two years and promising to continue doing so.
  • Jeff Harrist: Was gracious enough to sell me a hugely-discounted board from Alaska that he himself killscreened on and used in competition.
  • Phil Tudose: My dear friend, and probably the most underrated DK player in history.
  • Ethan Daniels: Pushes his gameplay to new heights every day and remains a trooper the entire time -- a true inspirational mentality.
  • Jeremy Young: His contributions to the DK scene are immeasurable, he's like the modern-day RTM.
  • Mark Kiehl: Another good friend and inspirational figure. Might not have been the first to beat Billy and Steve on both DK & DK Jr., but was certainly the first to crush them.
  • Chris Psaros: Motivated me to get off my ass and force him to write some articles. Kappa
  • Allen Staal: Provides a stream that shows I'm not the only one who suffers in agony for hours on end while playing this game. Kappa

Believe it or not, this score wasn't as difficult on a mental-level or emotional-level for me to achieve as my first 1.1m game was. To achieve 1.1m on a single man is absolute justice and redemption for me in that regard, and might speak more to me on a personal level even than breaking the world record.

I have already called and congratulated Robbie for his incredible game. It was a long time coming, and I have no doubt things will continue to intensify. The bar for competition will continue moving higher and higher in the future, of this I have no doubt. While we might have seen the occasional 1.1m in online or live tournaments, I believe they will begin to become more commonplace among the absolute top-tier players.

When I first announced that I wanted to go for my first kill screen, while many were supportive, I did receive a fair share of cynicism and skepticism. I did it in a little over two months and proved the doubters wrong. When I mentioned I wanted 1m I heard a similar chorus -- a wave of support from many and strong skepticism from a handful. I proved those folks wrong too. The exact same thing happened when I said I wanted 1.1m... and again when I said I wanted the world record. I intend to take the record back, regardless of who is holding it before I do, and at this point, I hope I've proven at the very least to those cynics and skeptics that I'm difficult to bet against.

That bottle of Dom Perignon was the first I'd ever had, and it was quite good. I am looking forward to opening another one.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 07:36:06 pm by WCopeland »

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2015, 04:47:24 am »
Vincent Lemay: Indirectly taught me how to play the game not-stupidly from the videos he had posted on YouTube. Most of my basic fundamental mechanics I assimilated from Vince before lifting things off Robbie, Hank, and Dean.

In the beginning, you learned from me, that might explain why you're not the best  Kappa

You learned from a guy that barely get 4k average on the spring level at the Kong Off's,  and come short off 1m even with risky bottom hammer and grouping and a big start.  Kappa

Joke aside, you deserve this 1.17m score. May you and Robbie keep pushing the score higher!
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer