Author Topic: Congratulations to Hank Chien on winning The Kong Off 4!  (Read 20345 times)

Offline MJMeerman

• Twitch
    • Awards
Congratulations to Hank Chien on winning The Kong Off 4!
« on: August 02, 2015, 02:20:38 pm »
Hank took it in the finals over Robbie Lakeman 662100-629500. Both players were on L15, but Hank had two lives left to work with and was already ahead in points when Robbie lost his last man.

Congrats Hank!

Full results:

1st: Hank Chien
2nd: Robbie Lakeman
3rd: Jeff Willms
4th: Dean Saglio
T5th: Wes Copeland
T5th: Ethan Daniels
T5th: Mike Groesbeck
T5th: Vincent Lemay

Full bracket: http://challonge.com/kongoff4
DK Scores:
Arcade: 396,700 [L11] (6/29/2018)
MAME: 483,300 [L13-4] (9/23/2021)
Start: 111,000 (11/30/2020)
L1-1: 9,700 (4/29/2014)

Crazy Kong: 581,500 [L22-1 KS] (01/31/2021)
Donkey Kong Jr.: 172,400 [L5-4] (12/23/2020)
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Congratulations to Hank Chien on winning The Kong Off 4!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 02:41:28 pm »
Outstanding event!

Huge congrats to Hank on another Kong Off victory  8)

and Robbie for taking second, as well as all teh competitors <3

Also Willms on winning the High Score event.

commentary for brackets was great

Also HUGE thank you to Richie, Dan, Mike G and JC for doing the best they could with the streaming situation.
I was delighted that we got to see some fri/sat action on the high scores!

Highlight was definitely last quarter drop and of course Dean going massive on that potential WR game, that game was a total master class in top level DK.

Thanks Richie for putting another great event together, Hopefully we will get a number 5 in the future!

<Billy> <Wiebe> <Walter>  <Tim>
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:58:05 pm by Adam_Mon »
Member for 9 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline wolfman24

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 02:49:00 pm »
congrats hank and everyone
barra on hearing wolf for the 1st time  "wolf is a child and that is a man talking"

Barra [11|Jul 04:57 PM] Barra: I'll be happy with whatever wolf decides, but will still do my fair share of whinging
Member for 9 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

DadsGlasses

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 04:12:03 pm »
Congrats to Hank and all of the other competitors!

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 05:13:00 pm »
Hank wins lit  <Allen>

Ko5 was announced to return to replay fx next year  Kreygasm
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Hawkins

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 06:35:38 pm »
Would love to watch any of these 1-on-1 <Allen> games, if only they can be uploaded somewhere...

Big congrats, Hank :)
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 07:14:59 pm »
Congrats Hank!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:17:27 pm by JCHarrist »
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 07:55:15 pm »
Kong Off was definitely a very good event, and was cool to see Robbie, and Hank battle it out for the championship.  It was a very close match until the end.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 07:57:02 pm »
congrats, hank! very well done <Billy>

huge congrats to jeff willms as well for winning the high score portion of the event for the third consecutive time...just incredible <3
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 08:43:57 pm »
Kongrats to Hank and all my mates on their superb DK play this weekend. It was great to also see you all again!  Kreygasm
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 01:06:26 am »
Congrats Hank, I thought Mr Willms was on his way to winning again!

Well done fellas, you really can't beat the KO's!!

Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 04:54:59 am »
Congrats to Jeff and Hank on their respective wins!

Awesome to hear it will be back next year too!

<popcorn>
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 04:55:08 am »
 <Billy> <Walter> <Wiebe>
Congrats Hank!   Kreygasm Kreygasm
Well done and great to see you in action again!
 <Tim>
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 06:25:47 am »
Thanks guys.   

I came in fairly unprepared as I'm busy with work these days and have lots of things going on in my personal life.  However, after 2 days of playing DK in the high score seeding portion, I was in reasonable shape.  I still felt like the underdog.  Heck, I barely qualified for the top 8 bracket.  I shared a room with Robbie and kept telling him I was going to leave for NY as soon as I got eliminated lol.  That plan didn't work.

For the bracket, I faced Wes, Dean, then Robbie. 

My plan with Wes was to run boards and let him make the first move.  It seemed he was point pressing from L5.  He gradually lost lives and although I was behind him on pace I had a full rack of lives and knew I could catch up.  Ironically as soon as I started grabbing the bottom hammer, his game ended.  We finished ~6xxK.

I think my matchup with Dean was the luckiest.  I knew he could outpace me, so I was point pressing from L5.  I died twice early (neither related to point pressing-- one careless mistake and one wall jump over a potential xx_x followed by a wild barrel).  So Dean was ahead of me on lives and pace.  Then a miracle happened and Dean had back to back deaths on conveyer screwings.  Dean ended at 3xxK.  Unbelievable.

I wasn't sure how to play Robbie.  I think ordinarily we'd be pretty evenly matched, but I was totally out of shape so he definitely had the edge.  I just played it by ear.  Robbie in his first 2 matchups didn't lose a single life (I think both matches were played to about 6xxK).  1.2M point without losing a single life.  Talk about intimidation.  I had a really great non-point pressing start against Robbie thanks to some cooperative rivets.  ~114K.  So I could afford to take it easy most of the game and point pressed just enough to stay ahead of Robbie's pace.  I died first.  That's never a good feeling.  For most of the game I was ahead on pace and he was ahead on lives.  But before I knew it Robbie's game ended at 6xxK. 

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 08:39:13 am »
Congratulations to Hank!

It's cool to have your strategery on this :)
Member for 11 Years Blogger