Author Topic: YesAffinity Blog  (Read 28719 times)

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: YesAffinity Blog
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 09:38:32 am »
Sat. March 17th, 2018

Dear Diary,

Today I participated in my first Kong Off - KO6.  I count myself as very fortunate, and a little bit lucky, to have had this opportunity and experience.  It was great meeting others in the community, although I wish I could have met all of the players and participants.  It's a funny thing, this passion of ours.  We often play, practice, grind, in a vacuum so to speak.  Most interactions with the rest of the community takes place from behind a computer or mobile phone screen.  Most of us play in the comfort of our own homes for the most part.  Playing live, at a bustling event, is for sure a whole different animal.

Rolled into KO6 on Saturday right at 11 a.m.  Nervous, for sure.  Met Jeff Harrist, shook hands with Dan Desjardins, Billy Mitchell.  Jeff kindly gave me the quick run-down, I grabbed an open cab, got down to business.

Started out with some absolutely terrible runs.  The jitters were getting the best of me.  I swear the board in the cab I was playing on, was harder than the board I'm used to playing on.  Is my board somehow faulty?  Are my scores not truly worthy, and should be stricken entirely from any leaderboard.  2 runs - 150k max.  3rd run - 200k max.  I don't deserve to be here.  Sandwiched between Jason Wade and Jeff Wolfe, do I even deserve to be sitting at a machine in the presence of these guys?  4th run - 150k and on my last life.  So much noise, distractions, granted this is truly how the game was meant to be played - like an early-80s arcade.  Last life, pull it together, deep breath, time to step up.  L6...L7....L8...L9....over 400k later, 565,400 final score.  Okay, not bad.  I can live with that for starters.  I can definitely not be disappointed with 400k+ on a single life.  Confidence regained.

What time is it?  1:15 p.m.  Crap, the street fighter tournament is in less than 2 hours.  What if get that monster run going...not enough time between now and the start of the tourney.  In hindsight, I should've gone for another run, and asked my buddy Josh to get me at 2:50.  If it turned out to be that monster run, well, a decision would have to be made.  Hindsight is always 20-20.  Made some rounds on other games, re-upped on some liquid energy, competed in the SF tourney.  I even donated the SF game board I brought just in case, and as it turned, it was needed.  3rd place, could've done better, the jitters got me.  But, no excuses.  Those that won deserved to win, and were the better players.

Back to DK.

The arcade is hopping, now.  Lots of folks gathered around the DK play.  All machines in use.  Met JRY, chatted for a minute.  A wild card machine opened up, I jumped on it.

400k+ first man.  Usual DK shenanigans for first death around 430k - wild barrel or trapped by firefoxes on riviots....don't exactly remember the details.  Pushed another 100k, back-to-back deaths around 550k.  Pretty happy with how I'm playing, staying focused, starting to do some more advanced groupings on barrels, that I don't normally do.  Man, back is aching.  These stools sit lower than I'm used to sitting at my machine.  That body english I'm throwing in is all transferring to my mid and lower back.  Folks walking up regularly and watching for a bit, can see them in the bezel reflection.  Excited to be doing something worth watching.  Pushing, grinding - 600k....700k.  Is this the one, could I break that 1M barrier here at KO6?  How cool would that be.  750k.  There sure are a lot of announcements on the loud speaker.  760k.  One of those barrel boards that more crap is flying all over the screen than usual.  It's funny how the difficulty seems to come in waves.  You'll get 5-8 levels of typical stuff, nothing that isn't manageable, and then you'll get 2 or 3 barrel boards in a row that there's wild barrels everywhere, the barrels and fireballs aren't cooperating.  or you get that one riviot board out of 10 that the firefoxes seem bound and determined to give no outs.  769,600, a wild barrel and a couple regular rollers that wouldn't steer.  Mis-jumped while running in the direction of a rolling barrel, with a small window to potentially land then jump the next two hot on its tail...landed on barrel, game over.

That ended up being my best for the day.  Another 500k run after that, and beyond that, I just didn't have any more to give.  4 hours of sleep the night before and the long day of heavy physical and mental investment had caught up.

What a thrill!  Wish I could have met more players, but again, it's a funny thing.  Everyone's locked into putting up their best score.  You don't interrupt others playing, not even between boards for a moment.  That courtesy is extended all around.  Said hello to Richie Knuckles, and thanked him for all his hard work.

All in all, I'm happy with my performance.  Would I have liked to have put up an 800k, 900k, or even broken that 1M mark finally?  Absolutely.  But for a first timer, I've got no complaints.  And, I've actually got a renewed excitement for the game.  Re-committing and going for that 1M.  All other score pursuits can wait.

Congrats to all the finalists, and again, big thanks to those who keep the engine running and the event running seamlessly.  And extra big thanks to my good friend Josh Lennard, who was there in support.  I hope to be on the short list again next year.

And what better way to commemorate than a couple pictures of the back of one's head?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:56:31 am by YesAffinity »
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 12:32:20 pm »
Thanks for writing this. I haven't seen too much written commentary on what went down this year, so this give a nice fly on the wall view.
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 05:00:05 pm »
Thanks for writing this. I haven't seen too much written commentary on what went down this year, so this give a nice fly on the wall view.
Thanks for reading. :)  There were definitely some notable moments throughout the day as well.  Steve Wiebe getting a kill screen, with a crowd around him cheering is one that comes to mind.  Everybody organizing and integrating KO into the Arcade Expo did a great job, and it definitely got the attention from the general attendance that it deserved.

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0

Offline Fly

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2018, 03:21:31 am »

I even donated the SF game board I brought just in case, and as it turned, it was needed.  3rd place, could've done better, the jitters got me.  But, no excuses.  Those that won deserved to win, and were the better players.

Good thinking on brining the extra PCB. I intended to do the same but forgot.

Also, you were much better than the guy I beat in the finals. You smashed me one round with a PERFECT! Only Chris Tang has ever done that to me before. You brought out the old beast that I used to be and made that final round easy.

Congrats on your DK play!

Hec

Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2018, 07:55:42 am »
Thank you, sir!  You are a formidable opponent, and performed better under the pressure.  Dat Honda! :)

I even donated the SF game board I brought just in case, and as it turned, it was needed.  3rd place, could've done better, the jitters got me.  But, no excuses.  Those that won deserved to win, and were the better players.

Good thinking on brining the extra PCB. I intended to do the same but forgot.

Also, you were much better than the guy I beat in the finals. You smashed me one round with a PERFECT! Only Chris Tang has ever done that to me before. You brought out the old beast that I used to be and made that final round easy.

Congrats on your DK play!

Hec
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:00:57 am by YesAffinity »

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 02:16:34 pm »
Well, it has certainly been a bit since I've posted here.  I admittedly haven't committed much time to DK play, up until the past few weeks.  Even at that, it's been weekends only.  Life is certainly getting in the way....  FailFish

BUT, I wanted to drop in with a hardware tip, for those of you who may undertake recapping your Sanyo audio amp.  I recently helped out a fellow collector, capping the monitor and audio amp on his Sanyo EZZ-C 14”, which is a somewhat more obscure version of the cocktail monitor.  From what I can tell, it came only in Japanese cocktails.  In the case of this rebuild, new caps actually exposed underlying problems which the old caps had been masking.

Coincidentally, I decided to cap the 20EZ and audio amp in my red DK at the same time, and it developed the exact same problem.

The initial symptoms after the re-cap are: distorted audio.  Volume level is normal, but the sounds are simply not right.  The cause is a blown R383, which is a fusible resistor.  R383 blowing is actually just another symptom of a deeper cause.  In both cases, the true cause was transistor TR372 operating out of spec/being fault.  This part is a 2SC2228 transistor.  The only replacements at the time were available from China, with possibly a 2-month lead time.  So, I did a bit of cross referencing and found that a NTE399 should be a suitable replacement.  Lo and behold, my local big box electronics store had some in stock.  I picked up the last 2 they had, and sure enough, both amps were fixed…with R383’s also replaced since they had blown.

Now, there are really only 4 parts on the audio amp that draw any power and could result in a blown fuse – the 4 transistors.  Assuming you have already checked for shorts and found none, then the transistors are the only other thing to suspect.  Two of the transistors typically come with the cap kit (if you get them from reputable sources like arcadepartsandrepair.com….stay away from ebay cap kits unless you know the seller is reputable).  The other 2 transistors don’t come in the kit, however.  So, after doing the cap kit and replacing the transistors that also come in the kit, that only leaves TR371 and TR372 as the potential culprits.  To be safe, you could pick up TR373 at the same time that you get the cap kit (arcadepartsandrepair.com stocks them).  The 2SC2228 (TR372), however is not a normally stocked item.  They are supposed to be in stock some time this month (Jan. 2019), but who knows how long they will last.  In the event you can’t get your hands on a 2SC2228, a NTE399 will work as a replacement.

TL;DR – If you cap an audio amp and the sounds are distorted after capping it, you have blown R383.  The causes for R383 blowing are either shorts on the board, faulty transistors, or both.  Assuming you’ve ruled out shorts, then look to the transistors.  If your cap kit included replacement transistors for TR373 and TR374, then that leaves TR371 and TR372 as the culprits.  If you can’t find a replacement easily for TR372 (2SC2228), then a NTE399 will work.  Keep in mind, you will have to replace R383 as well, before testing the replacement transistor(s).

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2019, 07:20:14 pm »
Did a bit of overhauling on my direct feed setup, thanks to a new capture card.  Picked up a Magewell Pro HDMI for a pretty decent price.  It was a customer return, tested, fully working and with warranty.  I've had no porblems with it, the thing was effectively NIB.

This card has a dongle that accepts component, s-video, composite and L/R audio.  So, of course I had to test to see if component output from my direct feed would work, and it absolutely does...gloriously.

So, now I can ditch the external video process, take a single component cable and audio cable from cab to my main PC that sits right next to it, and massively simplify the effort.

And best of all, it captures the bootup "scrambled characters" screen. :D