Author Topic: Is Billy Mitchell the best Arcade player of the 20th century.  (Read 8165 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
A thought occured to me.  Most of the top notch Arcade players really became super competitive in the 21st century.  But prior to the 21st century Billy Mitchell does have a great resume. 

So what say you? 
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

WCopeland

Re: Is Billy Mitchell the best Arcade player of the 20th century.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 05:24:59 pm »
<stirpot>

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 06:39:07 pm »
Donald Hayes.

It's a broken link now but on his homepage you used to be able to see all his scores from the 80's.  It's not really close.  Then you take into account the fact that he broke the Centipede and Tron records right at the turn of the century, he certainly had the acumen well before.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:41:09 pm by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Fly

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 11:14:33 am »
No.
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 12:14:05 pm »
I second Donald. He's got the skills and scores as well as the determination and nerves of steel.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 10:05:32 am »
The problem with Donald Hayes is I don't think he has any verified scores from the 20th century.  Yeah what he has done in the 21st century builds up his claim, I am not going to give it to Word of mouth.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 10:18:18 am »
The problem with Donald Hayes is I don't think he has any verified scores from the 20th century.  Yeah what he has done in the 21st century builds up his claim, I am not going to give it to Word of mouth.

I think word of mouth = scores from the Golden Era arcade operators though.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 10:24:44 am »
One thing I've been thinking about - comparing the old scoreboards and players with current players and boards may not be a fair comparison.  Rules about glitches and leeching have changed, as well as "stitched" scores which were allowed BITD but certainly not now.  Remember that shirt of Billy's - 20,000,001 centipede?  yeah, the record now is only 7,111,111.  That's because sidefeed trapping is no longer allowed.  How is one to compare actual skills?
I'd also vote for Donald.  I saw the scores that he used to have on his site and they were good even back then.  At the least I'd say that Billy was good, but possibly not the best and one of many really good players.  Ben Gold maybe if you need more verification?
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 10:27:13 am »
If the question is 'Who has the most impressive set of TG listed scores from the 20th century?'  That's different to me than asking who the best player is/was, especially considering how scores were reported back then.   Seriously, if you give me 1999 Donald Hayes and you take 1982 or 1983 Billy Mitchell in a wager on a random assortment of say a dozen games, I'm going home with all the moneys every time.  I like Billy, he's a very nice guy, but the smart money is on DBH.

Dwayne Richards has to be in this conversation as well.  I'd put him ahead of Billy I think as well.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 10:32:18 am by pwnasaurus »

Offline Rolledcigs

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 11:25:00 am »
To answer the original question- Yes.
Member for 9 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline Ninglendo

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 11:52:57 am »
My vote goes for Calvin Frampton or Brian King  <popcorn>
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 12:50:59 pm »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 02:07:58 pm »
Aren't we overlooking someone?

<Roy> on  <Billy> : "The Missile Command record is a super record, and his records are mediocre. One great record's worth twenty mediocre records, as far as I'm concerned."

If anyone has any doubts, this clinches it for me:

<Roy> "....and trackballs are a lot harder to control than a joystick. And there are 3 buttons."

Kappa
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline kalel

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 03:06:47 pm »
its me   <gasp>
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline Milehighdt

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 04:37:22 pm »
I have to go with the guy who collected the quarters from the machines. 1. open cab, 2. collect quarters, 3. add a few credits, 4. Play for max of 5 seconds to verify game works. 5. on to next machine. He was by far the greatest arcade player ever !! Kids would run from everywhere to see him work his magic. ;)
DK (Arcade) 1,129,700
DK No-hammer (Arcade) 768800 Killscreen
DK No-hammer (mame japan set)  524600 level 21-4
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener Winner of a community event Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK No-Hammer Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener