Author Topic: Help me DK Forum community. You're my only hope  (Read 11478 times)

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
Help me DK Forum community. You're my only hope
« on: October 06, 2014, 03:56:32 pm »

Well, you're my best hope anyway.

I need a joystick. I've always been a keyboard player since the rubber key ZX Spectrum days (hence the Q,A,O,P, and <Space>).

But I need a joystick. And the issue is that most of the games I really, really love (the Mr Do!s and the <pacman> s in particular) are 4-way joystick games.

The much-vaunted X-Arcade stick, according to two trusted gaming pals, has serious issues when you change it to 4-way. And someone in the DK shoutbox said Lord Hank of Chien won't even touch it for DK. (I mean, who on earth ever needs to go LEFT in a video game?)

So as a community who play a 4-way game, and who presumably don't all have access to original arcade hardware, I thought I'd prostrate myself before you in the hope that someone could perhaps suggest an alternative to the X-arcade?

All I want is a reliable stick to play the old left, right, up, down games. If it's an 8-way stick with a simple and reliable method, restrictor plate, or whatever,to change it to 4-way, brilliant.

Any suggestions most gratefully received!

Spaceman
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline Fliplismc

• Awards
Re: Help me DK Forum community. You're my only hope
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 04:08:23 pm »
A cheap and easy solution is the Zippy Joystick. Its not the best but it only require two screws and then you can change it from 2-way to 4-way and 8-way.
CK MAME: 601,000 - KS
DK Arcade: 853,500 - KS
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 05:16:14 pm »
The X-Arcade joysticks are indeed terrible, but there remains some upside to purchasing the unit.

In addition to shitty joysticks, the X-Arcade also comes with over 400 buttons and the option for a trackball, all nicely packaged in a sleek self-contained control panel weighing just under 2,000 pounds.

But seriously, when you purchase an X-Arcade you're also purchasing a keyboard encoder and wiring system -- two pieces of hardware necessary for playing MAME with a real arcade-style joystick.

So then, prospective X-Arcade customers should absolutely know they are purchasing a control panel with unusable joysticks, but that replacing the joysticks is as easy as unplugging one and plugging in another, and even with the cost of replacement joysticks factored into the initial purchase cost, it's not a terrible deal.  It's not a great deal, but it's not terrible, and the X-Arcade also comes with a lifetime warranty.

I've heard the Ultimarc joysticks are solid: http://www.ultimarc.com/controls.html 

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 08:09:18 pm »
I've heard the Ultimarc joysticks are solid: http://www.ultimarc.com/controls.html

The Ultimarc J-Stik is what I use with an I-Pac encoder in a custom control panel on my MAME cab.. Pretty sure that is what syscrusher uses too. I think he transplanted it into a X-Arcade.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

hchien

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 10:13:07 pm »
Yeah, Ben uses a Mag Stik Plus (Ball-Top) on an X-arcade last time I spoke to him about this: http://www.ultimarc.com/controls.htm.  When you switch 8-way/4-way with these, the restrictor plate actually switches 8-way/4-way unlike the X-arcade which just allows it to register 8-way/4-way.  It also feels a bit like the Nintendo joystick.  However, you have to drill screw holes in your X-arcade to get it in.

The default X-Arcade joystick is not bad for 8-way games like schmups or Robotron.  However, it is horrendous for 4-way games (even when switched to the 4-way mode).  I'd rather play DK with a trackball using my feet. 

The lifetime warranty really works.  I had an issue with mine years later and they sent me a replacement part to get it fixed.  Just make sure you keep your order # and buy directly from them (not off ebay).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:20:18 pm by hchien »

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:37:53 am »
I have a couple of the Mag Stik Plus sticks and I couldn't get used to them.  The action on the sticks is super tight due to the magnets.  I tried to use them in a Robotron setup and my arms wanted to fall off after 5 minutes of playing.  Maybe it's less of an issue with DK.  I use J-Stik ball tops and love them but the action is pretty loose and long and to switch them to 4-way you need to get under the panel which is a pain.

Has anyone tried the new ServoStik switcher Ultimarc has now?  It looks like you could rig it up to switch between 4-way and 8-way using a button which would be pretty sweet.

Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 06:46:13 am »
I did use the Mag Stik for a bit, but didn't care for it.  The throw is too short on it.  I use the J-Stik and it's an easy swap into an X-Arcade.  You don't need to drill holes or make any modifications to the X-Arcade. 
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 10:56:12 am »
I ended up switching my X-Arcade default stick out for a Sanwa Cherry JLF. It's great for most games, has a working 4-way restrictor, but is pretty sensitive. It works pretty well for shooters and fighting games, but I hardly play those. You can probably get another one pretty cheap that works just as well, if not better. Ultimately, I got it because it was recommended when I said I wanted a ball top. It did also require a universal mounting plate to get it lined up with the X-Arcade holes like other people said, but drilling your own would work, too.

The X-Arcade was still the route I went just because, like others said, it was a really cheap way to get started quickly.  The joystick was pretty bad, but it is very plug-and-play.  Although someone else joked about the number of buttons, it is somewhat useful when you are as lazy as I am and want to assign a bunch of shortcuts like reset, save, snapshot, etc. I use two buttons for games, and the rest are mapped in conjunction with holding the 2-player coin button on the right side to create my shortcuts so I don't accidentally hit them.  You could do that with other sticks, too, I'm sure. It is not the most comfortable piece of hardware, but it's not terrible, either.  I would recommend a cheap laptop desk (which I already had), a table, stand, or something to rest it on for longer gameplay sessions.  If nothing else, having it on a surface keeps it from sliding around your lap, which most folks agreed with during our IGBY bbq.

Hope that helps.
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 12:00:39 pm »

Thanks everyone for the advice. I knew I wouldn't be let down over here.

Looks like I'll be going for the

Quote from: VON
sleek self-contained control panel weighing just under 2,000 pounds

to start off with then. And then unable to resist the lure of red balls...

Quote from: soulcrusher
the J-Stik [is] an easy swap into an X-Arcade. You don't need to drill holes

This sounds good. I'm not really a manly man, in that even if I did borrow a drill from someone, I wouldn't have a clue how to use it  ::)

Quote from: Cap'nJivePants
most folks agreed with during our IGBY bbq

If this doesn't prove Chicagoland is the civilised centre of the CAG planet, what else does? IGBY barbecues ffs.

Quote from: hank
I'd rather play DK with a trackball using my feet.

Once you've all mastered the no-hammer business, this might be the way to go!

Seriously, though - thanks again everyone for your time and suggestions. Once I've factored in shipping to Spain this ain't gonna be cheap. But who needs new clothes or nights out when you can  <pacman> · · ·  <blinky> clutching a red ball in your hand?

Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 03:43:59 pm »
I started with a ready 4 fight stick for xbox 360.
Cost me $30,
It is a. 8way square restrictor plate but the way it is designed, I just flipped it upside down and filedit down a little and it fits snug as a diamond shaped 4 way restrictor now.
I'll take some pictures tonight.

Then I got a dk control panel from mikes arcade.
With that I hacked an old 360 wired game pad and soldered wires to it,
Hey presto cheap encoder.
Pics of that are either I my blog or my FB but I'll post some pics
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline jwade614

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 05:21:38 pm »
I've been using an x-arcade, and i agree, the joystick sucks pretty bad.

So after reading this thread, I bought a J-Stik. I tried to install it, but the mounting plate is slightly too big to fit into the routed space inside the x-arcade. Also, the holes in the mounting plate are too small for the x-arcade's bolts.

So.... universal mounting plate?

Is this the one? http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/home/1175-universal-arcade-joystick-adapter-plate.html

Will that fit into the space routed inside the x-arcade? Will the x-arcade's bolts fit those holes?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 03:48:55 pm »
I've been using an x-arcade, and i agree, the joystick sucks pretty bad.

So after reading this thread, I bought a J-Stik. I tried to install it, but the mounting plate is slightly too big to fit into the routed space inside the x-arcade. Also, the holes in the mounting plate are too small for the x-arcade's bolts.

So.... universal mounting plate?

Is this the one? http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/home/1175-universal-arcade-joystick-adapter-plate.html

Will that fit into the space routed inside the x-arcade? Will the x-arcade's bolts fit those holes?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Did you ever get this resolved? 

I'm planning on ordering some replacement joysticks for my X-Arcade real soon, but I don't have access to many tools, so I'd like a plug-and-play solution as much as that's a possibility.

Offline todayisforgotten

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 08:20:02 am »
QAOP - Maybe looking into the hori sticks.  Swap them out with seimitsu or sanwa.  There are different weights. 

I have two of the hrap va sticks and wouldn't you know i barely touch them.  It worked well for Rush N' Attack when i was playing that game.  I have 3 or 4 different weight sticks but are not stiff and to be honest all feel very similar.  All short throws.  If you like the feel of a loose but "controlled" stick, maybe this is a route to venture.

I know there is an enthusiast forum for this kind of stuff.  I just don't remember the name of it.
Member for 9 Years

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 08:41:57 am »
I know there is an enthusiast forum for this kind of stuff.  I just don't remember the name of it.
Build Your Own Arcade Controls
http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline jwade614

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 07:06:07 pm »

Did you ever get this resolved? 

I'm planning on ordering some replacement joysticks for my X-Arcade real soon, but I don't have access to many tools, so I'd like a plug-and-play solution as much as that's a possibility.

I emailed the place that sells that universal mounting plate but I never heard back from them.

But today, a friend helped me build a custom control panel for the j-stik using scrap wood he had lying around. Took a little under 4 hours start to finish.  I'm pretty pleased with the results. Made one mistake...needed to mount the circuit board closer to the joystick so the wires would reach. You can see in the pic where I had it mounted, and now it is just dangling. I should be able to fix that.

Used velcro for the top for easy access. Inside is so much cleaner using only the parts I need to play DK. I use the 2-player button for the add-credit.

A little extra overhang on the bottom for more wrist support might have been a good idea, too. But I'm very happy with this.

Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer