Author Topic: What score will be needed for a dedicated cab at KO4 (top 10)  (Read 28514 times)

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: What score will be needed for a dedicated cab at KO4 (top 10)
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 07:35:54 am »
you will at least have a dedicated wildcard machine based on the current score you have

"Dedicated-Wildcard machine" seems like a DK oxymoron  :D

Wildcard machine usually means you're sharing the time, and dedicated is what it is.

So, I'm confused now, I never was playing DKO for wildcard position.

I thought the DKO were going to lead into a single/double elimination head-to-head bracket (which I was against), but from there I never read anything. I like the traditional format of dedicated machines and some wildcards. So, if the requirement is leaning towards top 10 arcade (minus 2 because billy and Steve) based on DKF scores (which is then really top 8 ), then that gives a baseline of 1,100,700 (Steve W) as a score to shoot for.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:40:45 am by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 09:03:37 am »
Richie posted a video with Dean and Hank talking about his ideas. Nothing is set in stone yet. Basically the DKF list is the list sans Billy and Steve. Top 10 from this get "competitor" status.

Then the DKO's will be used for the remaining "wildcard" machines. The goal at least for now is not to "share" the playing time.

Friday and Saturday its high score only. That has "prizes" as well.

Then the Top 8 from those 2 days play on Sunday for the Bracket challenge champion. So its like 2 tournaments in one.

At least this is how I interpreted what has been said so far.
Dan
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

WCopeland

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 09:11:05 am »
Dan's interpretation is correct. My understanding of the current plan this time around is there will be no "shared" machines, which might lead to fewer competitors but will also lead to higher quality games.

Edit: Also, Steve's 1,100,700 score has not been officially submitted. I don't know if he's planning on submitting this, but officially I am #9 and Dave is still #10. I assume Steve will submit this score before KO4.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:13:01 am by WCopeland »

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 11:10:06 am »
Guess I'll have to see that video, had no idea about that. Any links to the video?

Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 01:21:51 pm »
Guess I'll have to see that video, had no idea about that. Any links to the video?

Here you go, Dave:

Kong Off 4 Update

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 07:27:42 pm »
Thanks Scott...good info, but yeah, they need to clarify MAME or NOT for top 10, sounds like he said arcade only.

Only complaint I have on the format is, high score Saturday is really the KO4 winner in my book, tournament is a fun thing, but anything can happen head to head. SO to have the climax be the top 8 tournament, and that decide KO4 winner is new but I';m still true to the highest score of the weekend wins.

I'm not sure of the exact date in March yet, and I'm still up in the air about making it or now, but get all the info down does help.

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 08:34:53 pm »
Yah I see where you are coming from Dave. With such a random game like DK head to head is going to be more luck than anything else where the 2 day format really is a little luck but more skill involved.

The brackets will provide some excitement but when pretty much everyone is a KS caliber player it simply takes luck to make it out of that bracket as the winner. Even if its Jeff W again and he wins both the score and the bracket I'm sure he will agree the bracket will boil down to getting lucky.

Its completely different then other games that require skill like the SF IV Tournaments and even those are like double+ elimination and its solely your skill against their skill not your luck against his luck. Still it will give the spectators something to watch and root for so hurrah! I think its 2 different prize pools too one for overall and one for brackets so that is cool :)

WCopeland

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 11:28:49 am »
Update from Richie:

Jeff Harrist will be asked to submit the top 10. This can include both arcade and MAME scores, but will be at Jeff's discretion.

Eric and John will be asked for a list of X number of wildcard qualifiers. Not sure what X number is yet.

hchien

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 12:56:45 pm »
Jeff Harrist will be asked to submit the top 10.

Glad I'm not Jeff.  With Wiebe and Mitchell out of the top 10, I'm sure it will be like the abortion issue.

And yes, Dean and I discussed the format with Richie during the last DK Open.  There will be "wildcard" machines, but they are dedicated ones.  So no matter how you qualify (wildcard or top 10) you are on equal footing.  This means less people can compete, but it will be much more fair for everyone.

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 01:04:17 pm »
Wiebe and Mitchell are in regardless Hank. You know this :D

Its 10 dedicated + Wiebe/Mitchell hence the Top 10 here get to go. Course it sounds like MAME is in versus last time so now I really do have to be Wes's score. Damn you all.... Kappa

Dan

Glad I'm not Jeff.  With Wiebe and Mitchell out of the top 10, I'm sure it will be like the abortion issue.

And yes, Dean and I discussed the format with Richie during the last DK Open.  There will be "wildcard" machines, but they are dedicated ones.  So no matter how you qualify (wildcard or top 10) you are on equal footing.  This means less people can compete, but it will be much more fair for everyone.

lakeman421

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 01:09:57 pm »
Update from Richie:

Jeff Harrist will be asked to submit the top 10. This can include both arcade and MAME scores, but will be at Jeff's discretion.

Eric and John will be asked for a list of X number of wildcard qualifiers. Not sure what X number is yet.

How much can we bribe the organizers to put  <Tim> on a dedicated machine?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:36:50 pm by lakeman421 »

WCopeland

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 02:22:07 pm »
10 dedicated plus DKO qualifier dedicated. A good score in DKO will also guarantee a spot

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2014, 05:35:00 pm »

I just spoke with Richie and he confirmed that Wiebe and Mitchell will have their own machines exclusive of the top 10 from DKF. So think of it as a top 12 with Wiebe and Mitchell already in.

My inclination is to use the top 10 scores just as it is listed at the top of the page.

Thoughts?
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2014, 10:34:55 pm »
My inclination is to use the top 10 scores just as it is listed at the top of the page.

Thoughts?

I agree with that decision inclination.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2014, 11:57:23 pm »
I'd be for the top 10 across both platforms as well (i.e. as seen on top of the DKF landing page). Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for getting the info, Wes. I think Richie giving Jeff (basically, the DKF community) the call is a good decision.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer