Author Topic: What if's: Celebs at the Kong Off  (Read 8009 times)

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
What if's: Celebs at the Kong Off
« on: August 12, 2013, 07:37:17 am »
What if Eminem came to the KO3...whether to compete as a wildcard player, or just hang out...?

Would the 1up turn into a packed house rather quickly?  There's not a ton of space in there to begin with.  If word got out that Eminem was there...we would probably have a whole additional group of people coming to the 1up just to see him...fans of his music that probably have no interest in arcade games.  Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?  I can think of a few pros/cons...

Also, it's too bad Eddie Rickenbacker never lived to be able to play Donkey Kong.  I bet he would have been really good at it.  As a great fighter pilot, he had to have great reflexes, reaction time, eyesight, nerves of steel...all things you need to make it through a long game of DK.  How cool would it be if Eddie was able to come to the KO3?
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: What if's: Celebs at the Kong Off
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 07:44:24 am »

Sadly, Eminem would attract far more spectators than Eddie.

I'm guessing 2-3 orders of magnitude.

Of course, at least 95% of them would have to stand outside.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:07:02 am »
Sadly, Eminem would attract far more spectators than Eddie.

I don't know about that. I'd definitely rather see a zombie than Eminem.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:27:09 am »
I don't know about that. I'd definitely rather see a zombie than Eminem.

That's because, unlike the general populace, you and I have impeccable taste in music.   8)

I also consider Steve Wagner, Jason Nugent, Jeff Wolfe, Dave McCrary, and Ethan Daniels to be discerning music aficionados.

I guess I should now be on the lookout for a substantial amount of hate mail.  Hopefully, I'll receive the bulk of it, and the rest of you guys will emerge unscathed.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:32:51 am by stella_blue »
DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 08:32:08 am »
An appearance by Eminem as a competitor would completely destabilize the event.

If it was kept totally unannounced/under wraps, you'd have about an hour or two after he appeared, but the place would be overflowing after that.

Eminem isn't at any kind of height right now, but he's still a huge star.

There's Billy Mitchell famous, and then there's actual famous.  :D
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Online TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:04:54 am »
I also consider Steve Wagner, Jason Nugent, Jeff Wolfe, Dave McCrary, and Ethan Daniels to be discerning music aficionados.

I'm sure Eminem is good at what he does, it's just not my cup of tea.  Although when I used to play cards semi-professionally, I'm sure he crept into my iPod at some point when I needed a kick in the pants to play more aggressively.  I had a playlist to supplement each table image I felt was correct for the ring game at the time, it seemed to help.

In any event, Ben Falls' favorite comedian Keith Apicary did a show at Richie's during a CAGDC tourney once and I found it difficult to play/concentrate (plus the number of people was overwhelming)....and that's for a youtube dude, if you're talking Eminem, you'd have to be shoehorned into your DK stool and likely a permanent fixture on the plexi after every game.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 09:13:21 am »
eminem is one of my favourite artists...that being said would i want him to attend a kong off? probably not. this was actually a rumour during the original kong off if anyone remembers...im pretty sure richie was at the very least in touch with eminem's agent since it was around this time that eminem had posted a 450k dk score on twitter
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 03:24:07 pm »
I have impeccable taste in music.

I'm confused... did the Grateful Dead make techno?  ;)

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 01:24:43 pm »
I heard that Allen Staal was going. Is this true?
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Graham Wolfe

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 02:34:31 pm »
I would just chat with him....dunno why people would make such a big deal if he enjoyed games then let him play normally. I'd be like 'so what you doing after this?' Haha jk

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 02:38:06 pm »
I would just chat with him....dunno why people would make such a big deal if he enjoyed games then let him play normally. I'd be like 'so what you doing after this?' Haha jk

Allen or Eminem? ;D
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener