Author Topic: Subforum housekeeping?  (Read 8209 times)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
Subforum housekeeping?
« on: July 06, 2013, 09:18:20 pm »
I would suggest the following, for semantic reasons:

- That the subforum section currently titled "Donkey Kong High Score List" be retitled "High Score Lists"
- That there be a new forum under that section titled "Donkey Kong Jr. High Score List," and that we create three threads in there that mirror those in the DK HS List subforum (though I suppose the "rules" thread could simply redirect to the one in the DK HSL subforum, since the rules will be the same).
- That there be a third forum under that subsection titled "High Score Lists For Other DK Games", which could be a catch-all subforum, with a thread for D2K, Crazy Kong, DK3," etc., and a catch-all thread for submissions for any of those games.
- Finally, retitle the "Lists" section, and Steve's subforum, to "Other Lists".

What say you?
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

corey.chambers

Re: Subforum housekeeping?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 09:34:35 pm »
Chris, I kind of like the idea of the Donkey Kong High Score List having its own sub-forum but I think I know what you are saying. So, when one clicks on the High Score Lists sub-forum then they will see two list links, two score submission links, two general discussion links and one list of rules? Or will it be where we see only two links at this level and one would click on either DK or DKjr and then we would see the same as we do know when we click on the Donkey Kong High Score List? Maybe I don't know the difference between the "new forum" and the "subforum" language. I don't mind discussisng other arrangements, but I can say that I have grown fond of the way it is now. Or maybe we could do the following:

- Keep the Donkey Kong High Score List as it is
- Create a new sub-forum titled "High Score Lists For Other DK Games"
- Change the name the name of "lists" to "Other Lists"

Maybe this will be less work.

corey.chambers

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 09:40:07 pm »
I also wondered if it is possible that the Score lists were not as far down on the main page, and maybe they can be re-ordered so that these are listed just under the chatbox or under the general discussion. Not that these are ordered by priority but maybe it will have more exposure that way. Thanks for the discussion, Chris!

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 11:16:01 pm »
I've definitely been thinking about housekeeping because things are kind of a mess right now. I just haven't quite decided on exactly how to restructure things at this point.

Feel free to keep kicking around ideas and offer input here.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 12:05:24 am »
My vote is for one major "HIGH SCORE" topic that is structured as follows:

HIGH SCORE LISTS
  • Donkey Kong High Scores
    • List Submission Rules
    • Donkey Kong High Score List
    • Submissions
    • Score General Discussion
  • Donkey Kong Jr. High Scores
    • List Submission Rules
    • Donkey Kong Jr. High Score List
    • Submissions
  • Other Donkey Kong Family High Scores
    • List Submission Rules
    • Donkey Kong 3 High Score List
    • D2K High Score List
    • Crazy Kong High Score List
    • "etc., etc., etc." High Score List
    • Submissions

Multiple moderators just need to be on the honor system and not mess around with other lists.  ;D

Also, I think there should be a general discussion thread added to the bottom of the main page for non-DK related stuff. The Shoutbox does a good job of containing those types of discussions, but you never know when there might be a gem worth saving.  ;D
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 12:23:11 am »
I see that the DK Jr list has now been moved to its own sub-forum. That is pretty cool. I personally think that the less people who have access to modify the DK HSL, the better. Having other moderators over the DK HSL is not preferable. Giving focus on DK and DK Jr. and giving them their own sub-forum, I think was a good idea and should stay that way. Maybe having them moved up the page would be a good idea too. I don't know if people want these other DK game high score lists in Steve's list sub-forum or if they need their own. I have no preference concerning them, but I do think have the DK HSL and the DK Jr HSL near the top in their own sub-forums is a great idea. I have enjoyed it very much. Jeff, I trust your judgement concerning the suggestions and I will be fine with whatever you think is best and finally decide on.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 12:28:42 am »
Yeah, that's what I meant. Each score list having its own subforum, except for the "Other Games" which would have one collective subforum.

I think the subforums should be grouped under a single section of subforums though "High Score Lists"). At this point DK and DK Jr. each has it's own section, which seems redundant.

I think Jeremy pretty much has it.

Do you see what we mean? You see how he has that structured?

SUBFORUM SECTION (ie, "Streaming" "Blogs", "Donkey Kong Strategy")
  • Name of Subforum (ie, "General Streaming Discussion", "Player Blogs")
    • Thread 1  (ie, "List of DK Streamers", "Mr. Donkey Blog," etc.)
    • Thread 2
    • etc.

Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

corey.chambers

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 12:32:23 am »
Yeah, I see that now. Have a blue strip heading that says High Score Lists, and then just have three sub-forums underneath. One for DK and DK Jr, ,and then a third for all other DK games. Yes, I agree. This would be great... and moved closer to the top, lol. ;) It is ok if it stays where it is, it was just a thought.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 01:17:38 am »
OK, looks perfect now!

As for the "Other" subforum, I guess somebody's gonna have to volunteer to oversee it/submissions, etc. and I'll have to be in the right mood before I volunteer. If somebody beats me to it between now and then, they can be my guest....

I do agree with the suggestion that the HSL section be moved up. My vote is between "Donkey Kong Strategy' and "Streaming."

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 01:30:01 am »
The top 10 is already the first thing people see and there's a link to it from there. I don't think it needs to be moved up. It just feels right to me where it's at now.

Jeremy, the off-topic forum suggestion has been made before and I've purposely steered away from it. It's hard enough to moderate discussions about DK. I really don't want to venture into moderating discussions about politics, religion, etc. I think the shoutbox was a good compromise here as guests can't see it and after 40 posts, it's gone forever.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 01:35:56 am »
Oh yeah, I would need a volunteer to manage the "other" high score lists.

You can start with DK Japan Set 2.  ;D

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 01:37:24 am »
The shoutbox is where we get trashy.  ;D

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 03:35:37 am »
...the shoutbox was a good compromise here as guests can't see it and after 40 posts, it's gone forever.

Agreed! I guess I just don't have anybody else to discuss non-DK stuff with.  :P

I will volunteer to maintain a D2K high score list if no one else is interested.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 08:09:52 am »
Everything looks good! :)