Author Topic: D2K Stategies and High Scores  (Read 22583 times)

Offline Dk_madness

• Elite Member
    • Awards
D2K Stategies and High Scores
« on: January 28, 2013, 06:43:38 am »
Just wondering what is the world record for the Arcade D2K currently is. It's something I would like to go for as soon as I get some free time. Also what is considered a decent score. As of now, I have a high of 118,300. Not too bad for limited play.
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK Masters - Rank D DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener

Simpsons99

Re: D2K Stategies and High Scores
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 07:04:54 am »
it's around 400k..  Ben Falls  I belive has it?

hchien

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 07:15:23 am »
Ben has the official world record-- 381,700 (http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php?topic=1856.0).   I believe Ben has scored higher than his official world record (but still under 400K).

Dustin has the unofficial record (just over 400K).   Dean is also a pretty serious D2K player (also just under 400K).

Offline Dk_madness

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 07:19:58 am »
WOW!! Looks like I got some serious work to do lol. It's very tough but I love the challenge.
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK Masters - Rank D DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 09:38:56 am »
I'd be happy to discuss strategies for anyone looking to improve.  The best way would be for me to stream a game and explain what I'm doing and then answer questions.  If you're having trouble with a particular level, I can set a save state there and we can go over just that level.  I'm on a fairly active streaming schedule right now, so just let me know.  After the CAGDC tournament I will be focusing back on this some along with DK.  Someone needs to reach that pseudo kill screen!
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 08:27:39 am »
Where is the kill screen in this game?  I just started playing it here and there...certainly is challenging...almost ridiculously challenging.  That jump to pass through the pie making machine is tough.

Do the springs ever get to a point where you really have to pay attention to spring variations?  Cuz so far I just run as soon as one passes and make it every time.  Or maybe i'm just getting lucky...but I dont notice much of a difference in how the springs come out...yet.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:36:56 am »
From L4 onward there is little to no variation with the springs.  They start out as short springs on L4 and gradually get longer with each passing level.  At L14 the springs are long enough so that you don't have enough time to get up the ladder.  Nobody has made it that far in a game, but it's been tested in MAME with save states.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Simpsons99

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:04:26 am »
wow so i springs change on this just like dk..    I think Level 3  ..  Is the last screen i've seen.  I don'nt think i've ever pasted Level 3 Oven screen.  Fireballs at the top gives me problems.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 07:55:26 pm »
Ugh. Do I dare start trying to master this game? 250k is one of my gaming goals. I'm kinda putting it off. May start streaming more of this soon though. Baby steps all over again. :/
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Kerri369

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 06:48:37 am »
What's the key to completing the last level ( The cement pie factory ) It seems to be hit and miss for me. Is there a timing pattern? Like the third elevator board on DK?

hchien

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 08:36:39 am »
What's the key to completing the last level ( The cement pie factory ) It seems to be hit and miss for me. Is there a timing pattern? Like the third elevator board on DK?

I think that's the "Mixer."  That board is 100% patternable.  It's probably easier to demonstrate than explain.  syscrusher probably has some D2K games in his archive.

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 04:44:33 am »
I gave D2K a quick look last night and ran about half-way through level 2 using save states. Looks like a pretty interesting challenge that I hope to get to in the next couple of months. Echoing the first post in this thread I'd like to know just how far people have been, score-wise and level-wise. I don't think we need to create a Corey Chambers-style leaderboard yet, but I'm curious anyway. :)

Also, I used the MISFIT MAME program. Does anybody use or recommend anything else? Thanks!
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 11:22:27 am »
You can use Wolfmame .140 or later, but MisfitMAME is fine as well.

My best is 398,800 and that game ended somewhere around L10-6, I think.  I have that game recorded, so I should stream it some time.

Online JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 04:46:17 pm »
I just tried D2K for the first time, and I have to say I find no reason to ever play that game again.  I have enough trouble just trying to get past 215k on regular DK.  But, I'm glad I at least tried it.

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline dd0ck

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 10:43:14 am »
You can use Wolfmame .140 or later, but MisfitMAME is fine as well.

My best is 398,800 and that game ended somewhere around L10-6, I think.  I have that game recorded, so I should stream it some time.

Is this an inp or a video file?  I'd love to see it...
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer